Single speed hubs?

gclark8

Apr 13, 2004
I am looking for new, cheap, single speed hubs, 36 hole, alloy, to take LH lockring.

Shimano and Surley are too dear for a project bike, any ideas? There must be something in Aus? :confused:

gclark8 said:
I am looking for new, cheap, single speed hubs, 36 hole, alloy, to take LH lockring.

Shimano and Surley are too dear for a project bike, any ideas? There must be something in Aus? :confused:
If you find any, let me know, I'm thinking of building a SS wheel for an old 10 speed I have.

Scotty

gclark8 said:

Have you looked at some BMX hubs. Not sure where to get them online but surely they would be cheaper.:)

Since when has Surly been too expensive? Crikey.

Have you considered theft, or perhaps dumpster diving?

;)

gclark8 said:
BMX and MTB do not have the lock nut! :(

Surly: http://www.dirtworks.com.au/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=19&Itemid=63
dowe the page to the link: http://www.dirtworks.com.au/newsite/content/view/102/63/

I am trying to build the whole bike for less than that. :eek:

So far, the cheapest in Aus is Velocity at around $200 pr, the USA, Harris Cyclery, $100 pr + $35 post.

George

are these anything like you are looking for? These ones are blue but the seller has a range of colours available. Price is a 6 day auction starting at 99 cents (US) or 89.99 (USD) with 35 freight buy it now.

HTH

Later

They are similar, however, in the USA, and like Harris Cyclery, $100 + $35 post, I am looking for something with local support, in Australia.

I have to re-sell the bike when finished. I am not prepared to sell the bike without a lock nut on the sprocket.

gclark8 said:
They are similar, however, in the USA, and like Harris Cyclery, $100 + $35 post, I am looking for something with local support, in Australia.

I have to re-sell the bike when finished. I am not prepared to sell the bike without a lock nut on the sprocket.

George

fair enough however if you want local support you may be stuck with local prices.

For what it is worth Harris Cyclery's after sale support is top notch...

later

I have seen what you are looking for. My LBS in Queanbeyan had some no name track hubs for a CHEAP price. The bearings were pretty rough though and this isn't going to help you find them :(

I picked up shop soiled 105, 9 speed road hubs for $80 a set so they don't have to be expensive. Try searching eBay.

Regards, Anthony

gclark8 said:
I think leestevens was referring to a FLIP-FLOP BMX hub ... the price varies ... SOME older BMX hubs are steel, so ask before you buy!

The BMX hub's axle should be long enough to use with additional spacers to allow the hub to fit a 135mm rear; but, if not, you can certainly substitute a longer axle.

alfeng said:
I think leestevens was referring to a FLIP-FLOP BMX hub ... the price varies ... SOME older BMX hubs are steel, so ask before you buy!

The BMX hub's axle should be long enough to use with additional spacers to allow the hub to fit a 135mm rear; but, if not, you can certainly substitute a longer axle.
My frame is 120mm drop out, about 50 years old! I will look in my LBS later today for some 27x1 1/4 fixed wheels, this may be the easier option.

gclark8 said:
My frame is 120mm drop out, about 50 years old! I will look in my LBS later today for some 27x1 1/4 fixed wheels, this may be the easier option.
No 27" wheels left! :eek:

I have located some Suzue Basic Track Hub Sets, these seem to be reasonably priced, I will have an exact figure tomorrow when Vic recovers from their day off. ;)

gclark8 said:
FYI. BMX dropouts ARE 120mm ... some BMX hubs are freewheel-only, and some are flip-flop.

Obviously, BMX hubs are generally MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than Track hubs.

gclark8 said:
The alternate, non-freewheel side on a flip-flop hub IS threaded to take a "standard" PISTA/Track lock nut ... I don't know if a lock nut is provided with any of those hubs.

alfeng said:
The alternate, non-freewheel side on a flip-flop hub IS threaded to take a "standard" PISTA/Track lock nut ... I don't know if a lock nut is provided with any of those hubs.
OK, can you post links to some of these cheap 120mm BMX flip-flop hubs that are available in Aus?

gclark8 said:
OK, can you post links to some of these cheap 120mm BMX flip-flop hubs that are available in Aus (the LINKS below are "HOT")?
There are BMXers everywhere!

Someone at one of these clubs (all in Western Australia) should be able to point you in the right direction ... AND/OR, let them know you are looking for a new OR good, used flip-flop hubset.

WA
tribullet.gif
Albany BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Augusta BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Bunbury BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Byford BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Cockburn BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Collie BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Dandalee BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Eastern Goldfields BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Hedland BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Hills BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Karratha BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Kelmscott BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Northam BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Rockingham BMX Club Inc.
tribullet.gif
Southern Districts BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Southside BMX Club
tribullet.gif
Tom Price BMX Club
tribullet.gif
WA BMX Inc
tribullet.gif
Wanneroo BMX Raceway Club
tribullet.gif
Woorree Park BMX Club

Just a thought, I built my single speed with my old RSX cassette hub. got the gear I wanted for the back, then used spacers to line it up so the chain would be straight. voila! Instant singlespeed hub!

I must admit i researched the BMX hubs AFTER i posted, mmm, they aren't cheap:eek:
Well not brand new any way. The other option is using a freewheel rear hub. On Sheldon Browns website there is a piece about how to convert one to single speed. The only problem then is you do not have the reverse thread to lock the cog with. Anywho, if anybody does know where to get cheap single speed hubs, please post a link or phone number please, i wouldn't mind getting some more.:)

Martin Williams said:
Just a thought, I built my single speed with my old RSX cassette hub. got the gear I wanted for the back, then used spacers to line it up so the chain would be straight. voila! Instant singlespeed hub!
The OP wants a fixed-gear rather than simply a single-speed.