Single Speed or Flip Flop Hub Recommendations?

On my way home last night, I stripped the cheap singlespeed hub on my
road bike. After making "the call" and sitting around cold for a
while, I decided that the overall experience was less desirable than
other experiences, say riding home on a bike that works. I think I'd
like to avoid repeating this in the future, when possible.

Since I use this bike for commuting, I need it fixed quick. With all
the things I have going on, getting a new hub & rebuilding the wheel
isn't going to work. I'm going to have to buy something that's
already in-stock at a shop, and I'm not sure that my normal shop will
have any in stock. If they don't this purchase will likely require an
on-the-spot decision in a shop I don't know, with employees I don't
know I can trust to help me make the right decision. .

I'm leaning toward flip-flop. One freewheeling, once fixed. I'd
appreciate any experience anyone has had with any such hub, good or
bad. The more I know when I walk in, the more likely I figure I am to
walk out with a wheel that will last.

Also, is it bad form to ask the shop where you don't know the guys if
a wheel was hand built & stress relieved? No big deal either way, but
if machine built I'd like to relieve them myself before I start riding
them. I'm under the impression that if they were hand built &
relieved, there's no point and possible folly in doing it again.

Thanks,

Dan

On May 18, 11:46 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On my way home last night, I stripped the cheap singlespeed hub on my
> road bike. After making "the call" and sitting around cold for a
> while, I decided that the overall experience was less desirable than
> other experiences, say riding home on a bike that works. I think I'd
> like to avoid repeating this in the future, when possible.
>
> Since I use this bike for commuting, I need it fixed quick. With all
> the things I have going on, getting a new hub & rebuilding the wheel
> isn't going to work. I'm going to have to buy something that's
> already in-stock at a shop, and I'm not sure that my normal shop will
> have any in stock. If they don't this purchase will likely require an
> on-the-spot decision in a shop I don't know, with employees I don't
> know I can trust to help me make the right decision. .
>
> I'm leaning toward flip-flop. One freewheeling, once fixed. I'd
> appreciate any experience anyone has had with any such hub, good or
> bad. The more I know when I walk in, the more likely I figure I am to
> walk out with a wheel that will last.
>
> Also, is it bad form to ask the shop where you don't know the guys if
> a wheel was hand built & stress relieved? No big deal either way, but
> if machine built I'd like to relieve them myself before I start riding
> them. I'm under the impression that if they were hand built &
> relieved, there's no point and possible folly in doing it again.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

I forgot to mention, I'm looking for a good hub on a budget. I know I
can get a quality wheel built around a Phil Wood or White Industries
hub, but then I'm spending as much or more on the hub than I'm trying
to spend on the entire wheel.
Also must be 36 Spoke, I'm mean to my bikes. Even the road bikes go
off-road.

[email protected] wrote:

> Since I use this bike for commuting, I need it fixed quick. With all
> the things I have going on, getting a new hub & rebuilding the wheel
> isn't going to work. I'm going to have to buy something that's
> already in-stock at a shop, and I'm not sure that my normal shop will
> have any in stock. If they don't this purchase will likely require an
> on-the-spot decision in a shop I don't know, with employees I don't
> know I can trust to help me make the right decision. .

Good luck finding such a wheel. How about borrowing something
temporarily and re-building the damaged wheel?

> I'm leaning toward flip-flop. One freewheeling, once fixed. I'd
> appreciate any experience anyone has had with any such hub, good or
> bad. The more I know when I walk in, the more likely I figure I am to
> walk out with a wheel that will last.

This is fairly standard. I used to have such a hb on my fixed gear, but
I never used the freewheel side of it. I then got a fixed/fixed
dura-ace hub at a flea market. Best damn fixed-gear hub I have ever
seen. These things are beautifully built, and the double-fixed gives a
real choice if the ride you are on turns out to not fit the gear you are
using.

> Also, is it bad form to ask the shop where you don't know the guys if
> a wheel was hand built & stress relieved? No big deal either way, but
> if machine built I'd like to relieve them myself before I start riding
> them. I'm under the impression that if they were hand built &
> relieved, there's no point and possible folly in doing it again.

I would be surprised if there were a large enough market for fixed
wheels (aside from real track wheels) to have anything other than
hand-built available. Yes, there are some, but few to none in most shops.

There is no real downside to stress-relieving a second time, except that
you have to do the work and re-true it.

--

David L. Johnson

> This is fairly standard. I used to have such a hb on my fixed gear, but I
> never used the freewheel side of it. I then got a fixed/fixed dura-ace
> hub at a flea market. Best damn fixed-gear hub I have ever seen. These
> things are beautifully built, and the double-fixed gives a real choice if
> the ride you are on turns out to not fit the gear you are using.
>
> David L. Johnson

I also use the dura-ace fixedgear (track) hub, only mine is single-sided.
Agree, built very well, and a lot cheaper than Phil or Campy.
-tom

[email protected] wrote:
> On May 18, 11:46 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On my way home last night, I stripped the cheap singlespeed hub on my
>> road bike. After making "the call" and sitting around cold for a
>> while, I decided that the overall experience was less desirable than
>> other experiences, say riding home on a bike that works. I think I'd
>> like to avoid repeating this in the future, when possible.
>>
>> Since I use this bike for commuting, I need it fixed quick. With all
>> the things I have going on, getting a new hub & rebuilding the wheel
>> isn't going to work. I'm going to have to buy something that's
>> already in-stock at a shop, and I'm not sure that my normal shop will
>> have any in stock. If they don't this purchase will likely require an
>> on-the-spot decision in a shop I don't know, with employees I don't
>> know I can trust to help me make the right decision. .
>>
>> I'm leaning toward flip-flop. One freewheeling, once fixed. I'd
>> appreciate any experience anyone has had with any such hub, good or
>> bad. The more I know when I walk in, the more likely I figure I am to
>> walk out with a wheel that will last.
>>
>> Also, is it bad form to ask the shop where you don't know the guys if
>> a wheel was hand built & stress relieved? No big deal either way, but
>> if machine built I'd like to relieve them myself before I start riding
>> them. I'm under the impression that if they were hand built &
>> relieved, there's no point and possible folly in doing it again.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dan

> I forgot to mention, I'm looking for a good hub on a budget. I know I
> can get a quality wheel built around a Phil Wood or White Industries
> hub, but then I'm spending as much or more on the hub than I'm trying
> to spend on the entire wheel.
> Also must be 36 Spoke, I'm mean to my bikes. Even the road bikes go
> off-road.

IRO or Harris Cyclery Flip Flop hubs. If you can't find anything local,
buy online, I got an IRO laced to a Sun rim new for $90.

Greg

--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

On May 18, 12:00 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Good luck finding such a wheel.

Thanks. I imagine I'll need it.

> How about borrowing something
> temporarily and re-building the damaged wheel?

Not a bad idea. I have an old Miyata 10-spd collecting dust in the
basement, I suppose I could toss that on the back, pick a gear and
stick with it. I'd have to check the condition of the wheel. The
bike spent 99% of it's life in a basement and has less than 100
lifetime miles on it, so the wheel shouldn't be too bad.

> > I'm leaning toward flip-flop. One freewheeling, once fixed. I'd
> > appreciate any experience anyone has had with any such hub, good or
> > bad. The more I know when I walk in, the more likely I figure I am to
> > walk out with a wheel that will last.

> This is fairly standard. I used to have such a hb on my fixed gear, but
> I never used the freewheel side of it. I then got a fixed/fixed
> dura-ace hub at a flea market. Best damn fixed-gear hub I have ever
> seen. These things are beautifully built, and the double-fixed gives a
> real choice if the ride you are on turns out to not fit the gear you are
> using.

Thanks for the feedback. A wheel built around a DA is still likely to
make my wallet wince, but if pickings prove to be slim and I find
myself in that price range I'll remember the positive reviews of the
DA.

> > Also, is it bad form to ask the shop where you don't know the guys if
> > a wheel was hand built & stress relieved? No big deal either way, but
> > if machine built I'd like to relieve them myself before I start riding
> > them. I'm under the impression that if they were hand built &
> > relieved, there's no point and possible folly in doing it again.

> I would be surprised if there were a large enough market for fixed
> wheels (aside from real track wheels) to have anything other than
> hand-built available. Yes, there are some, but few to none in most shops.
>
> There is no real downside to stress-relieving a second time, except that
> you have to do the work and re-true it.

Good to hear. I seem to recall someone saying you'd weaken the metal
but forget all the mechanics behind it.

On May 18, 1:40 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On May 18, 11:46 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> On my way home last night, I stripped the cheap singlespeed hub on my
> >> road bike. After making "the call" and sitting around cold for a
> >> while, I decided that the overall experience was less desirable than
> >> other experiences, say riding home on a bike that works. I think I'd
> >> like to avoid repeating this in the future, when possible.

> >> Since I use this bike for commuting, I need it fixed quick. With all
> >> the things I have going on, getting a new hub & rebuilding the wheel
> >> isn't going to work. I'm going to have to buy something that's
> >> already in-stock at a shop, and I'm not sure that my normal shop will
> >> have any in stock. If they don't this purchase will likely require an
> >> on-the-spot decision in a shop I don't know, with employees I don't
> >> know I can trust to help me make the right decision. .

> >> I'm leaning toward flip-flop. One freewheeling, once fixed. I'd
> >> appreciate any experience anyone has had with any such hub, good or
> >> bad. The more I know when I walk in, the more likely I figure I am to
> >> walk out with a wheel that will last.

> >> Also, is it bad form to ask the shop where you don't know the guys if
> >> a wheel was hand built & stress relieved? No big deal either way, but
> >> if machine built I'd like to relieve them myself before I start riding
> >> them. I'm under the impression that if they were hand built &
> >> relieved, there's no point and possible folly in doing it again.

> >> Thanks,

> >> Dan

> > I forgot to mention, I'm looking for a good hub on a budget. I know I
> > can get a quality wheel built around a Phil Wood or White Industries
> > hub, but then I'm spending as much or more on the hub than I'm trying
> > to spend on the entire wheel.
> > Also must be 36 Spoke, I'm mean to my bikes. Even the road bikes go
> > off-road.

> IRO or Harris Cyclery Flip Flop hubs. If you can't find anything local,
> buy online, I got an IRO laced to a Sun rim new for $90.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>
> Dethink to survive - Mclusky- Hide quoted text -

Sweet, thanks. Harris sells their own hub? Do you know if it's they
rebadge or manufacture it?

If I strike out locally I may just drive to Harris. The site says
they stock this kind of thing, and I've wanted to swing by there for
some time now.
Is the IRO you have sealed? $90 is a good price, I'd be happy to get
out of this in the c-note neighborhood.

On May 18, 2:18 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 18, 1:40 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > [email protected] wrote:

> > > I forgot to mention, I'm looking for a good hub on a budget. I know I
> > > can get a quality wheel built around a Phil Wood or White Industries
> > > hub, but then I'm spending as much or more on the hub than I'm trying
> > > to spend on the entire wheel.
> > > Also must be 36 Spoke, I'm mean to my bikes. Even the road bikes go
> > > off-road.

> > IRO or Harris Cyclery Flip Flop hubs. If you can't find anything local,
> > buy online, I got an IRO laced to a Sun rim new for $90.

> > Greg

> > --
> > The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

> > Dethink to survive - Mclusky- Hide quoted text -

> Sweet, thanks. Harris sells their own hub? Do you know if it's they
> rebadge or manufacture it?
>
> If I strike out locally I may just drive to Harris. The site says
> they stock this kind of thing, and I've wanted to swing by there for
> some time now.
> Is the IRO you have sealed? $90 is a good price, I'd be happy to get
> out of this in the c-note neighborhood.- Hide quoted text -

I just answered these questions for myself on the Harris site. It
seems they're the same hub for the same price, except "the
manufacturer goofed" on the Harris ones and used shorter axles, so if
I want a Harris with an axle that will fit my frame it's an extra $10
vs. just getting the IRO, which is the same thing, for the same price
less the $10 axle swap. So, if I strike out locally, I may have to go
see what Harris has in stock built around this hub. I see it is
sealed bearing, and I imagine Harris wouldn't be putting their name on
them if they were sub-par. Your endorsement just backs that up. I
wouldn't be surprised if I own one by nightfall tomorrow. Thanks.

[email protected] wrote:
> On May 18, 1:40 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> I forgot to mention, I'm looking for a good hub on a budget. I know I
>>> can get a quality wheel built around a Phil Wood or White Industries
>>> hub, but then I'm spending as much or more on the hub than I'm trying
>>> to spend on the entire wheel.
>>> Also must be 36 Spoke, I'm mean to my bikes. Even the road bikes go
>>> off-road.

>> IRO or Harris Cyclery Flip Flop hubs. If you can't find anything local,
>> buy online, I got an IRO laced to a Sun rim new for $90.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> --
>> The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>>
>> Dethink to survive - Mclusky- Hide quoted text -

> Sweet, thanks. Harris sells their own hub? Do you know if it's they
> rebadge or manufacture it?

It's made by Formula, I believe, (anyway, it's the same as the IRO) with
their name on it. Check the site out, you'll need to get an IRO or
spend $10 extra to Harris to have them install a 126mm axle, their batch
mistakenly came wit 120mm axles.

> If I strike out locally I may just drive to Harris. The site says
> they stock this kind of thing, and I've wanted to swing by there for
> some time now.
> Is the IRO you have sealed?

Yes.

> $90 is a good price, I'd be happy to get
> out of this in the c-note neighborhood.

You may not at Harris. I was looking for web deals for complete wheels
over a period of two weeks before I found mine.

Greg

--

On May 18, 2:27 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >> IRO or Harris Cyclery Flip Flop hubs. If you can't find anything local,
> >> buy online, I got an IRO laced to a Sun rim new for $90.

> >> Greg

> >> --
> >> The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

> >> Dethink to survive - Mclusky- Hide quoted text -

> > Sweet, thanks. Harris sells their own hub? Do you know if it's they
> > rebadge or manufacture it?

> It's made by Formula, I believe, (anyway, it's the same as the IRO) with
> their name on it. Check the site out, you'll need to get an IRO or
> spend $10 extra to Harris to have them install a 126mm axle, their batch
> mistakenly came wit 120mm axles.
>

> > If I strike out locally I may just drive to Harris. The site says
> > they stock this kind of thing, and I've wanted to swing by there for
> > some time now.
> > Is the IRO you have sealed?

> Yes.
>
> > $90 is a good price, I'd be happy to get
> > out of this in the c-note neighborhood.

> You may not at Harris. I was looking for web deals for complete wheels
> over a period of two weeks before I found mine.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html
>
> Dethink to survive - Mclusky- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I just got off the phone with
Harris, they don't have anything in 26" w/ the flip flop. My LBS does
not have anything either. I'm starting to think I may have to get by
with that old Miyata wheel (I really hope it's serviceable) and order
something or have something ordered. In that case, I'm likely to take
the time to build the thing up myself, unless I find a deal on a built
26" wheel on a decent flip-flop. I'm starting to get the impression
anybody who has stuff like this only has it in 700c, so I may be
building from scratch. Less ideal in the short term, but probably
better in the end.

Also, I never expected to get out of this for $100 & was surprised to
see you did. Your two-week bargain search explains quite a bit, and I
won't be too bitter if I have to shell out a little more.

On May 18, 1:27 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >> IRO or Harris Cyclery Flip Flop hubs. If you can't find anything local,
> >> buy online, I got an IRO laced to a Sun rim new for $90.

> >> Greg

> >> --
> >> The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

> >> Dethink to survive - Mclusky- Hide quoted text -

> > Sweet, thanks. Harris sells their own hub? Do you know if it's they
> > rebadge or manufacture it?

> It's made by Formula, I believe, (anyway, it's the same as the IRO) with
> their name on it. Check the site out, you'll need to get an IRO or
> spend $10 extra to Harris to have them install a 126mm axle, their batch
> mistakenly came wit 120mm axles.

Those are very nice hubs. Cartridge bearing, and classic looking. I
rode a couple thousand miles on some this winter and spring and
they're just as smooth as day one. I like having a freewheel on one
side. It's a nice change from time to time as we have rolling hills
here and my legs don't always feel noodly enough.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thanks for taking the time to reply. I just got off the phone with
> Harris, they don't have anything in 26" w/ the flip flop. My LBS does
> not have anything either. I'm starting to think I may have to get by
> with that old Miyata wheel (I really hope it's serviceable) and order
> something or have something ordered. In that case, I'm likely to take
> the time to build the thing up myself, unless I find a deal on a built
> 26" wheel on a decent flip-flop. I'm starting to get the impression
> anybody who has stuff like this only has it in 700c, so I may be
> building from scratch. Less ideal in the short term, but probably
> better in the end.

Yep, the rear wheel I bought was 27", 700c will be easier to find and 26"
harder to find, I'd imagine.

Greg

[email protected] wrote:
> Also, I never expected to get out of this for $100 & was surprised to
> see you did. Your two-week bargain search explains quite a bit, and I
> won't be too bitter if I have to shell out a little more.

Any custom wheelbuilder can send you a sealed flipflop hub for under
$100. Formula $59, 36h in stock. We ship Saturdays at 11:00am. see also:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/sensible.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Also, I never expected to get out of this for $100 & was surprised to
>> see you did. Your two-week bargain search explains quite a bit, and I
>> won't be too bitter if I have to shell out a little more.

> Any custom wheelbuilder can send you a sealed flipflop hub for under $100.
> Formula $59, 36h in stock. We ship Saturdays at 11:00am. see also:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/sensible.html

He's looking for a wheel under $100.

Greg