Single speed project starting point

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > > I'm not sure that the mythical English village LBS is any more real.

> "Mark South" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > They do exist. Infact, the classic example to me is in central
> > Cambridge: University Cycles. The parts pile starts behind the
> > counter and just keeps going.

> They exist, just as ancient shops piles high with dusty obsoletia may exist
> in Paris, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

You only need to locate a couple though.

> I don't think most people would think of Cambridge as a village,

Ask people from Oxford ;-)

> and in any case it has a
> particular set of circumstances that make the local bicycle market quite
> unusual.

Yes indeed, the fact that nearly all of it is geared to foreign students who
want a bike like the ones where they come from.

I picked Cambridge because I know the area well. There are village bike shops
around Cambridge, but University Cycles has the champion collection of old bits.

> > > Many of the shops that cater to the new utility cyclists
> > > date from this period, and sell mainly Dutch bikes.

> > The Dutch being the people who never stopped making utility
> > roadsters like the now-famous Behemoth.

> Right. My point was that the shops now serving the utility cyclists of
> Paris will, in many cases, never have sold bicycles based around French
> standards, just as many of the British bike shops that emerged in the
> nineties have never sold cotter pins or Sturmey-Archer toggle chains.

Accepted.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Mark South <[email protected]> wrote:
>They do exist. Infact, the classic example to me is in central Cambridge:
>University Cycles. The parts pile starts behind the counter and just keeps
>going.

Although it has never been _quite_ clear to me how they make any money.

Cambridge is rather unusual, though...

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:XUi*[email protected]...
> Mark South <[email protected]> wrote:
> >They do exist. Infact, the classic example to me is in central Cambridge:
> >University Cycles. The parts pile starts behind the counter and just keeps
> >going.

> Although it has never been _quite_ clear to me how they make any money.

Fixing things that people in this group would never dream of taking to the shop.
Punctures, loose cables, new batteries in the lights etc.

> Cambridge is rather unusual, though...

Distinctly odd would be the core of my description. As I'm sure you know from
your days there.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen