single speed project

Discussion in 'Singlespeed' started by nycfastsights, Feb 17, 2012.

1. nycfastsights

nycfastsights New Member

Hi Everyone, so im starting a project of converting my old schwinn messa runner into a single speed, it just lays around in my house since i bought a road bike but i want to bring it back to life =) so it'll get a new paint job taking all the gears and stuff out (obviously) and changing the handle bars, leaving the front brake cause well i live in the city and cars love to cut us cyclist off , so as i embark on this new journey i decided to share the experience with everyone here. ill be posting pictures starting the weekend and as the process unfolds i'll post more. basiclly im pretty new with all this stuff but ive been doing alot of research. so im going to run it on a 48:17, i want to get slick wheels i dont really know if 700s will fit on, also im changing the stem and putting bullhorn handle bars on them, and thats pretty much it, o and ofcourse painting it first thinking of doing a teal and white color combo. so i hand some issues though i cant seem to find the handle bars i like im looking for ones that are like bull horns but are narrower and longer all the ones i see seem to be short and long anyone know where i can look. i will be going to my local bike shop to get some tips from them they're quite helpful Thanks and stay tuned for the awesome bike transformation!

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

If you find someone with a tubing bender OR if you buy one from any place that sells electrical supplies (the tubing bender is used to bend conduit used for electrical wiring), you can bend your own handlebars to any shape you want .... some trial-and-error may be necessary to establish your technique & to overcome initial skill limitatiions.

• Of course, you will want a stem which clamps onto a handlebar which has a 25.4mm/(1") center section AND use 1" OD conduit.

3. nycfastsights

nycfastsights New Member

thanks!! im going to see where i can go do that at. ive already taken the bike apart almost completely just need to go to the bike store so they can take off the chain and crank then tomorrow off to the paint store for some primer and paint!

4. nycfastsights

nycfastsights New Member

ok so ive run into some snags with the bike. like trying to figure out what wheel size to get, i try to put my 700c front wheel from my road bike on and while the wheel cleared the hub was to wide so now im not sure what size is correct for my frame, also i'vve be buying them in pieces every 2 weeks so first i'll get the wheels then the crank set then the handle bars. so this will be about a 2 months project.will be posting picks later today of the bike and then of what i have dismantled so far

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Some older French & American frames had narrower hub spacing for the front fork ...

• by the mid-80s (probably, mostly thanks to the influx of Japanese bicycles), fork dropout spacing standardized to what we now know

You have a few options ...

• you can try to spread the fork (definitely NOT as easy as re-spreading the rear stays) ... do NOT use any additional leverage
    • use only whatever strength YOU can bring to the endeavor
    • anticipate exerting whatever force you can impart, measure, AND repeat as necessary (which will probably be often!) until the fork's arms are spread sufficiently so you can insert the front wheel
    [*] on some hubs, there are thin spacers between the cones & its locking nut which can be removed to sufficiently narrow the hub (some hollow axle MAY-or-MAY-NOT extend beyond the droputs & will then need to be trimmed, accordingly)
    [*] depending on the frame's geometry AND the geometry of the current fork, you may can replace the current fork with another fork ...
    • if the original wheel size was 27" then in some cases using a 700c fork may result in a horizontal top tube having a downward forward slope AND a slightly steeper head tube angle ... this is NOT always the case, so changing the fork is a trial-and-error endeavor.

6. nycfastsights

nycfastsights New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]this is the bike pre deconstruction

7. nycfastsights

nycfastsights New Member

so i went to my local bike store and they found out i cant put on bigger thinner tiers nor would it be worth even converting this bike into a single speed so ima just end up selling the piece of crap and either buy a single speed or upgrade componnets on my baby my jamis venture road bike. thanks to everyone who tryed to help

8. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Whoa!

If your objective is still to use 700c wheels with that frame then I think that your bike shop is probably wrong ...

So, before you abandon the particular frame as the basis for your Single Speed project ...

• Front & rear -- What is the distance between the axle and the brake caliper's mounting bolt?

BTW. I am pretty sure that BMX hubs have the dropout spacing that you want to use with your frame -- front & rear -- if your Road hubs don't have spacers which can be removed ...

• Do you already have a 700c wheelset which you wanted to use with the frame?
    • What is wrong with using your existing wheels?!?

9. nycfastsights

nycfastsights New Member

well it's a hybrid bike and the wheels are fat and i love the look of the slim wheels, my wheels are 26 inch mountian bike wheels, and to be honests its kind of a small frame and im 5 11 i think the frame is like 48 cause my road bike is 51cm which is also small but i compensate with raising my seat,so i figured maybe i put the bike back together and sell it for like 50 bucks and buy a nice vintage road bike and convert that, sounds like a good idea?

10. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Sight unseen, but presuming your Road bike has a sloping top tube AND based on your description of your Hybrid as a 48cm frame, then a 51cm frame probably isn't as small as one might initially think ...

• IF the top tube on your Hybrid is in the 58cm range AND if the top tube on your Road bike is also in the 58cm range THEN neither bike is actually small for you.

Regardless, the issue of modifying ANY bike is frequently simply a matter of motivation, knowledge, and Dollars-and-Cents ...

You have (or, had) the motivation, I (and, many others ... but, apparently, not your LBS's Wrench) have the knowledge, so the only real issue is how much you want to spend ...

To use 700c wheels, YOU will simply need an appropriate set of wheels + different brake calipers which have a shorter reach than the brake calipers which are currently on the frame ...

• long reach (49-59) calipers may fit, but you may need the next size up (about 60-73)
    • depending on your allocated budget for the project, you could buy a replacement fork ... here is picture (from a few years ago) of a 26" MONGOOSE Hardtail frame which I mated with a 700c Carbon Fiber fork + long reach Tektro brake calipers (front & rear)

[​IMG]

• here is another MTB Hardtail (a work-in-progress) which originally used 26" wheels, too ... the fork was designed for 700x28 wheels, but I modified it to accept the larger-than-normal 700x32 tires ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW. I'm 5'9" tall. When the "medium" Hardtail frames are mated with 700c Road forks, the virtual top tube is in the 57cm range ...

11. nycfastsights

nycfastsights New Member

wow thats a really nice bike, and i appreciate all the help but i think i rather put the money into the bike that i use everyday. just cause i think it's more practical, it's my commuter bike (jamis venture), i was thinking about getting a carbon fork for it but i scared about the strength of carbon fiber vs the city cause every so often i hit a pot hole, while i try everything not to it's inevitable.and i also thought of getting some of the aero spokes cause they look really awesome and apparently really light. i

12. fixienic

fixienic New Member

I am just embarking on my first fixie project, in fact my first bike build project for quite a few years now and I stumbled upon this site while doing some initial research.

I am planning to use a 1950's BSA Streamlight bike as the donor (pics here: http://www.howtobuildafixie.com/the-donor/ ) and then source the new parts I need as I go along.

I am anticipating having the sort of issues that are being discussed here so I will no doubt be back for advice in the near future. One thing I am considering is a flip-flop hub. Does anyone have any views on the pros and cons?