single speed question

none

Guest
Hello, I'm intrested in building a single speed commuter out of this bike I found on ebay. Linkage:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3611454963&category=7298 It's an older (early
90's) trek 700 just in case the link doesn't work. However, I need to know if the crank/bottom
bracket is upgradable on this bike. If yes, would it be possible to put on something a little more
modern (i.e. something made in the last couple of years)? I did a google search on bottom bracket
compatibility and it turned up loads of stuff. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks, Curt

> Hello, I'm intrested in building a single speed commuter out of this bike I found on ebay.
> Linkage:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3611454963&category=7298
> It's an older (early 90's) trek 700 just in case the link doesn't work. However, I need to know if
> the crank/bottom bracket is upgradable on this bike. If yes, would it be possible to put on
> something a little more modern (i.e. something made in the last couple of years)? I did a google
> search on bottom bracket compatibility and it turned up loads of stuff. Any info is much
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Curt

It is just a standard english thread BB, anything of the correct shell width and threading
should work. You'll need to buy a proper length BB axle for the crank you intend to use (the one
on the bike currently is a riveted/welded unit which cannot be disassembled from a triple to a
double or single )

Just an FYI - The 700 was the cheapest trek mountain bike model of the time - stamped steel and
plastic, entry level Shimano components. Hi-tensile steel frame ( heavy ), etc. You can buy a brand
new version of the same thing for under $200, so don't pay too much :)

A shy person wrote:

> I'm intrested in building a single speed commuter out of this bike I found on ebay. Linkage:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3611454963&category=7298 It's an older (early
> 90's) trek 700 just in case the link doesn't work. However, I need to know if the crank/bottom
> bracket is upgradable on this bike. If yes, would it be possible to put on something a little more
> modern (i.e. something made in the last couple of years)? I did a google search on bottom bracket
> compatibility and it turned up loads of stuff. Any info is much appreciated.

That looks like a prime candidate. Like all Treks, it will take any standard ISO/English bottom
bracket, no problem.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed

Sheldon "Singularity" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
| In our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: | freedom of speech, freedom of
| conscience, and the prudence | never to practice either of them. --Mark Twain |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

Thanks for the input guys. Sheldon, awesome site, keep up the good work. One more quick question,
I'm 6.0" with a 32" inseam, is this bike the right size for me? I'm concerned it may be too big.

Thanks, Curt On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 20:35:16 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Hello, I'm intrested in building a single speed commuter out of this bike I found on ebay. Linkage:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3611454963&category=7298 It's an older (early
>90's) trek 700 just in case the link doesn't work. However, I need to know if the crank/bottom
>bracket is upgradable on this bike. If yes, would it be possible to put on something a little more
>modern (i.e. something made in the last couple of years)? I did a google search on bottom bracket
>compatibility and it turned up loads of stuff. Any info is much appreciated.
>
>Thanks, Curt

A shy person asked:

>>I'm intrested in building a single speed commuter out of this bike I found on ebay. Linkage:
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3611454963&category=7298 It's an older (early
>>90's) trek 700 just in case the link doesn't work. However, I need to know if the crank/bottom
>>bracket is upgradable on this bike. If yes, would it be possible to put on something a little
>>more modern (i.e. something made in the last couple of years)? I did a google search on bottom
>>bracket compatibility and it turned up loads of stuff. Any info is much appreciated.

> Thanks for the input guys. Sheldon, awesome site, keep up the good work. One more quick question,
> I'm 6.0" with a 32" inseam, is this bike the right size for me? I'm concerned it may be too big.

Certainly not too big. Probably just fine.

Sheldon "Doesn't Usually Give Specific Fit Advice Via Internet" Brown
| A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation. |
| Q: Why is top posting frowned upon? |