single speed tech question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Frank Schaefer, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. I am looking for a BMX freewheel that will accept a narrow/9 speed chain. Does anyone have any
    suggestions?

    Thanks, Frank

    Tags:

  2. David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > But on your single-speed, why not use 1/8" chain? It's cheaper, and you might even be able to find
    > one with the old-style, more robust design with full bushings.

    Can you name such a chain? I just received some SRAM PC-1's for my single-speed project, and they
    are of the new bushingless design. Of course, they cost about $6 and include the handy SnapLink, so
    they're still a great deal.

    > My fixed gear has 1/8" chain -- but then my sprockets are 1/8". Chainrings are 3/32", though, and
    > there is no problem.

    For my Surly Cross-check, I ended up going with the basic Shimano BMX freewheels, which work with
    either 3/32" or 1/8" chains. The chain is
    1/8" and the chainring is a Blackspire DH chainring (no ramps), which looks pretty good for this
    use. I haven't tested this yet.

    -as

  3. "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:p[email protected]:

    > On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:20:39 +0000, Antti Salonen wrote:
    >
    >> David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> But on your single-speed, why not use 1/8" chain? It's cheaper, and you might even be able to
    >>> find one with the old-style, more robust design with full bushings.
    >>
    >> Can you name such a chain?
    >
    > No, I can't. I said "might". I imagine there are at least some NOS full-bushing chains available,
    > or maybe some for British 3-speeds, but I have not seen any lately.

    If you are looking for a standard non bushing 1/8" chain how about a Miche (Sheldon has them)