? Single-speed useful for training for road racing - worth it? How?

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi. I've been thinking about building up a single speed for training for road racing(along with my normal multi geared training bike training).
Also, as I do a lot of riding I thought riding on something different may make my riding a bit more interesting.
I thought it would make it harder up hills so possible increase in leg strenght and I'd have to spin more to get anywhere on the flats so it could help that too.
What do ya' all(as they say in North America) say?:)
May be I'd just get sore knees and feel like I was getting nowhere fast on the flats:(

check out the post "why?", about four posts down from yours.

many responded and a few come very close to answering your quesiton.

i set up mine, and it does help. i've only had it about a week now, but it makes you realize how much you "rest" on your road bike.

still coming to terms with it- its by no means a fluid transition- but it does improve your bike handling skills, your cadence, your power, your focus and concentration...

like i said- it makes your geared bike a little easier.

enjoy it!

Hi.
I've been reading other posts (and other stuff on the net) and most of it is from either fixed gear riders or single speed MTB riders. I'm interested is single speed road bike riders who do it to help their race performance.

Also - if I build a single speed up - it won't be some $20 frame with minimum cost stuff - I still want things like a quality seat, carbon fork, two brakes(so I've got the brakes hoods to hold on to - for 1 reason) and a frame with nice stiff, large diameter tubing.
I don't see the reasoning behind something that isn't nearly as good as my other road bikes just because it's only got one gear.

So - single speed riders who used it to help race performance?

brakes? brakes are for pansies. when you are riding with no brakes and no gears and no freewheel just let go of the bars. there is no other feeling like it.

Bigbananabike said:
So - single speed riders who used it to help race performance?

Yes. I use mine for commuting and I think it has helped. 39/15 means seated hill climbing is strength work - standing climbing is/can be sprint work - and going the other way is good cadence work. As with standard training, it will still depend on the effort you put into the riding.

cheers,
GPL

I'm wanting the riding of my fix to become second nature. So when track season comes around I'm riding it like its natural.

On the few training rides I've been on with the fix I've found that the level of soreness has been directly proportionate to the amount of 'pull' on my legs. That is, the amount of slowing down with my legs I've done, not the amount of pushing work. I went of a 50k ride but used my brake down the other side. On a 20k hilly ride I used my legs to slow down and was sore for about 3 days!!

Also, I found that the fix used my 'core' or my trunk more than the geared bike.

This shows that my legs are getting used a lot more on the fix and so I'll have a lot more power for the gears.

Finally, it's a hell of a lot of fun!! I plain old enjoy it!! :)

i ride 48/15 everyday...after you get used to it you'll find your legs wanting to go faster up hills (for racing you could pedal faster in a higher gear). i did 3 catV crits last year on 45/15 freewheel, passed a lot of people on hills and false flats, but got left in the dust on flats and downhills spinning my 180lb tushie off, haha. you don't really need a rear brake, your legs provide enough for that, you can set up a dummy lever and still ride the hoods. So do it! It'll make you wonder what you're wasting all that time coasting for

aa9t8 said:
brakes? brakes are for pansies. when you are riding with no brakes and no gears and no freewheel just let go of the bars. there is no other feeling like it.
I was asking about single speed NOT fixed. I then clarified that again.
Anyway - fixed gear + no brakes + chain breaks = worst case senario:( .
Put a brake on the sucker;)

It might help. Or you could save your money, ride your road bike and promise yourself not to change gears.

I think there's a better argument for fixed-gear training than single-speed freewheel, but I'm sure you've heard enough about that. Nevertheless, I'll add my $.02: riding fixed seems to have improved my aerobic capacity as well as my grinding abilities. SSFW would perhaps help with the latter.

My sense is that you just want a new bike. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that (unless you're married) -- so go for it if you think it will be fun.

bwindle83 said:
...after you get used to it you'll find your legs wanting to go faster up hills...
I'm SURE I go faster up hills on the fixie. I don't have a computer on it so I can't be sure, but I think I make more of an effort on the fix as I know I can't 'cop out' and change gear. My body naturally wants to spin (190lbs) to get me up the hills, but with no choice but to grind I think I increase my tempo... Just a theory though, I could have been slower! ;)

sorry about the sarcasim.

i really enjoy my fixie. it is a good workout all over. it is kind of like riding a motorcycle ya really have to pay attention.
i have no experience with a single speed freewheel.

ishiwata said:
It might help. Or you could save your money, ride your road bike and promise yourself not to change gears.

I think there's a better argument for fixed-gear training than single-speed freewheel, but I'm sure you've heard enough about that. Nevertheless, I'll add my $.02: riding fixed seems to have improved my aerobic capacity as well as my grinding abilities. SSFW would perhaps help with the latter.

My sense is that you just want a new bike. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that (unless you're married) -- so go for it if you think it will be fun.
===========================================================
Ok, you got me - I want a new bike:) and this is the excuse I'm using to myself and my wife!! She's ok with it too:)

I've tried riding my training bike without changing gears but on a few harder hills near home(ok, they're not hard hills but the are after a long ride) I drop the pretence with the dropping gears!

I think I would like the option of having no option but to ride in the gear I've got and I think(unfortunately) that a fixed gears would kill my knees.

I got hold of an old raleigh phantom and coverted it to single speed and I love it.
I've managed decent gradual climbs,long distance and decent speed,I've now got better legs.
It's well worth having one and as someone said it makes you realise how over reliant you can become,or over cosy should I say,on gears,I also love the simplicity of it all.

do you guys mean singlespeed and fixed gear ? i think fixed gear is the best possible school for pedalling technique and bike handling, unfortunately not everyone has access to velodromes, in that case the open road is the only choice, installing one brake could be a good safety option in that context,

Originally Posted by vspa .

do you guys mean singlespeed and fixed gear ?
i think fixed gear is the best possible school for pedalling technique and bike handling, unfortunately not everyone has access to velodromes, in that case the open road is the only choice, installing one brake could be a good safety option in that context,
I've been training (and other riding) on my SingleSpeed (freewheel) for about 4 years now (had the bike 17 years).
Its an excellent training tool - especially good for hill work and spinning out to max. (mine's 171rpm) trying to keep up with guys on multi-geared bikes.

Fixed gears are not so good as a training tool - apart from for track racing.They're also incredibly hard on knees etc - which maybe ok when you're young now but you'll want those knees to work well in the future too.

BBB/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif