Single speed wheels

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by TheGreatGatsby, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. TheGreatGatsby

    TheGreatGatsby New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    Hey guys,

    does anyone know of any good single speed road wheels - do Spinergy make any? How easy are wheels to convert to single speed cos I've got a set of X revs and some Spox but now have a single speed bike?

    Any advise/info would be much appreciated.

    Gats

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "TheGreatGatsby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > does anyone know of any good single speed road wheels - do Spinergy make any? How easy are
    > wheels to convert to single speed cos I've got a set of X revs and some Spox but now have a
    > single speed bike?

    The answer is essentially the same as for an MTB - the wheel is the easy bit. Freewheel (threaded)
    hub - screw on single speed freewheels are easy enough to find. Cassette hub - use just one cog and
    put lots of spacers in. (obtain from same source as MTB places).

    For road though, the more traditional equivalent is fixed, which does mean a special hub if you want
    to do it properly. For fixed, you also need a suitable frame - you can't just use a chain tensioning
    device like MTBs do.

    What do you mean by 'good'? A suitable hand built wheel will definitely be pretty good, if not as
    flash as some branded wheel. I'd go for one of those unless I was seriously racing.

    cheers, clive

  3. TheGreatGatsby

    TheGreatGatsby New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    Hi Clive,

    Thanks for that. The frame is a single speed one by Condor in London and the wheels on it are fine enough at the moment - your standard flip flop hubs with DT spokes and Mavic rims. I was kinda hoping for some thing a bit sexy - less spokes mainly but I dont think its going to be possible with the hubs that are out there. I have seen one Courier riding round town with a single speed bike with three spoke carbon fibres wheels on so maybe it is possible? was thinking about building themself - buying a good set of rims and maybe some Phil wood Hubs and building it up. Not sure though.

    Gats