Single speed wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreatGatsby

Oct 16, 2003
Hey guys,

does anyone know of any good single speed road wheels - do Spinergy make any? How easy are wheels to convert to single speed cos I've got a set of X revs and some Spox but now have a single speed bike?

Any advise/info would be much appreciated.

Gats

"TheGreatGatsby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey guys,
>
> does anyone know of any good single speed road wheels - do Spinergy make any? How easy are
> wheels to convert to single speed cos I've got a set of X revs and some Spox but now have a
> single speed bike?

The answer is essentially the same as for an MTB - the wheel is the easy bit. Freewheel (threaded)
hub - screw on single speed freewheels are easy enough to find. Cassette hub - use just one cog and
put lots of spacers in. (obtain from same source as MTB places).

For road though, the more traditional equivalent is fixed, which does mean a special hub if you want
to do it properly. For fixed, you also need a suitable frame - you can't just use a chain tensioning
device like MTBs do.

What do you mean by 'good'? A suitable hand built wheel will definitely be pretty good, if not as
flash as some branded wheel. I'd go for one of those unless I was seriously racing.

cheers, clive

Originally posted by Anonymous
"TheGreatGatsby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey guys,
>
> does anyone know of any good single speed road wheels - do Spinergy make any? How easy are
> wheels to convert to single speed cos I've got a set of X revs and some Spox but now have a
> single speed bike?

The answer is essentially the same as for an MTB - the wheel is the easy bit. Freewheel (threaded)
hub - screw on single speed freewheels are easy enough to find. Cassette hub - use just one cog and
put lots of spacers in. (obtain from same source as MTB places).

For road though, the more traditional equivalent is fixed, which does mean a special hub if you want
to do it properly. For fixed, you also need a suitable frame - you can't just use a chain tensioning
device like MTBs do.

What do you mean by 'good'? A suitable hand built wheel will definitely be pretty good, if not as
flash as some branded wheel. I'd go for one of those unless I was seriously racing.

cheers, clive

Hi Clive,

Thanks for that. The frame is a single speed one by Condor in London and the wheels on it are fine enough at the moment - your standard flip flop hubs with DT spokes and Mavic rims. I was kinda hoping for some thing a bit sexy - less spokes mainly but I dont think its going to be possible with the hubs that are out there. I have seen one Courier riding round town with a single speed bike with three spoke carbon fibres wheels on so maybe it is possible? was thinking about building themself - buying a good set of rims and maybe some Phil wood Hubs and building it up. Not sure though.

Gats

Status
Not open for further replies.