Singlespeed Crosstraining

frride80

Oct 14, 2004
I am a rodie, interested in purchasing an ss (I think) for crosstraining as well as to use around town. What makes more sense ss or fixed. I see other rodies out training on them but I have not had the chance to ask. Thoughts?:confused:

Thanks

FIXED is much better. By being forced to pedal constantly you will develop a much smoother and more efficient pedal stroke. You can gain a lot of speed by being efficient with a circular pedal stroke.

frride80 said:
I am a rodie, interested in purchasing an ss (I think) for crosstraining as well as to use around town. What makes more sense ss or fixed. I see other rodies out training on them but I have not had the chance to ask. Thoughts?:confused:

Thanks

it's a choice of coasting or not, that's about it. Fixed is harder when coming down hills (your legs start to go really fast really quick on steep hills) but it's much more fun. Try it out, most fixed hubs come with a freewheel on the other side so you can always swap between fixed and freewheeling. Once you get used to fixed, you won't go back.

Plus, fixed you can run no brakes or just a front brake so in a way it's simpler to set up.

Greetings,
According to many people smarter than me, the fixie will force you to have better pedaling form, causing you to describe the circle more accurately and to transfer power all the way around, partly because you can't stop pedaling. Supposedly this will apply when you move to other bikes as well. I have a friend that refutes this, because his cranks are of differing lengths from bike to bike, so the muscle memory doesn't apply.

Another thing I have heard is that if you have old joints (aka you're not a young 'un) the constant movement is good for the knees and the hips, even if there is no real pressure being applied. FWIW

Shannon

Shannon Hooge said:
Greetings,
because his cranks are of differing lengths from bike to bike, so the muscle memory doesn't apply.

...old joints (aka you're not a young 'un) the constant movement is good for the knees and the hips, even if there is no real pressure being applied.

I've thought about that - differing crank lengths. I'm in the process of gathering parts for a singlespeed (not a fixed gear) and am keeping my cranks the same length mostly for the bike fit to be the same from bike to bike. I think there is something to be said for the body's "memory".

I haven't had a bike parts stash to work from so I've been collecting parts from thrift store bikes and from "hand me down" parts from friends. I'm getting close.

As for "the old joints", anyihing to keep mine moving. I've heard alot of things about the "pedaling in circles" and other truisms of life. Here's another: Take what you need and leave the rest.

Jerry

if your goal of getting into singlespeeds is for crosstraining, I'd say it'd only make sense to go with fixed gear, as you're gonna get a better work out that way, not to mention it'll get it in your mind to not stop pedaling, so when you go back to your normal bike, instead of pedaling and coasting, you'll just keep pedaling, and you'll end up being faster that way too,

Fixed is definately the way to go for crosstraining....but you are going to want to gear it really easy. This is very important...most good fixed gear bikes are track bikes...meant to be ridden on the track and are geared to race. If you have old joints you don't want to have to be pushing even 48/16. Also...as far as cranks go with a fixed gear...keep in mind that you can't put a foot up in turns so it is possible to scrape. I have 165's...track cranks...on mine and have scrapped pedals when leaning......

all that being said fixed is definately great for training...but you want to be able to spin the gear nice and easy...figure out a good gear on your road bike and then use that one for the fix...also if you have a velodrome nearby track racing is a great way to work on your sprinting.

fixed