Singlespeed gear "placing" question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by basjan, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. basjan

    basjan Guest

    I have built up a nice singlespeed with parts laying around. My question is
    this: Running a 32x18 gear setup, the 18 rear cog is fairly outward
    (towards the quick release nut) on the cassette carrier in order to maintain
    a straight chainline. (It now sits about 2-3 regular cogs from the end of
    the carrier). Is this kind of leverage OK for the hub, or will it go
    bonkers if I push this gear up steep hills etc.?

    Set-up: Dura Ace 9-speed rear hub; 32x18 gearing

    Thanks for any input!

    Jan

    Tags:

  2. basjan wrote:

    > I have built up a nice singlespeed with parts laying around. My question is
    > this: Running a 32x18 gear setup, the 18 rear cog is fairly outward
    > (towards the quick release nut) on the cassette carrier in order to maintain
    > a straight chainline. (It now sits about 2-3 regular cogs from the end of
    > the carrier). Is this kind of leverage OK for the hub, or will it go
    > bonkers if I push this gear up steep hills etc.?

    Not a problem. Just make sure the chainline is as straight as possible.

    Sheldon "Couldn't Stand Such A Low Gear" Brown
    | Always be sincere, even when you don't mean it. |
    | --Irene Peter |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 10:54:32 -0400, basjan wrote:

    > I have built up a nice singlespeed with parts laying around. My question is
    > this: Running a 32x18 gear setup, the 18 rear cog is fairly outward
    > (towards the quick release nut) on the cassette carrier in order to maintain
    > a straight chainline. (It now sits about 2-3 regular cogs from the end of
    > the carrier). Is this kind of leverage OK for the hub, or will it go
    > bonkers if I push this gear up steep hills etc.?

    Do you imagine that something bonkers would happen on a derailleur bike if
    you climbed a hill in the gear that happened to be at that position? It's
    no different with the others not hanging around.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | I don't believe you, you've got the whole damn thing all wrong.
    _`\(,_ | He's not the kind you have to wind-up on Sundays. --Ian Anderson