Singlespeed In Portland?

nicholiasiv

Feb 20, 2015
Hey everyone, I plan on being in Portland soon and I'm wondering if renting or bringing a single speed bicycle would be adequate for traversing the streets of Portland. I hear it is a very cycling friendly city, so I'm not worried about finding the right places to ride. Since I've heard it has varied terrain, I'm wondering if a single speed will do or if I should invest in a multi-speed ride. If you've been there before, any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Portland OR or ME? There seems to be a huge difference. Based on the snow though, I assume Portland OR. Personally, I perfer multi-speed all around. Don't really understand single-speeders.

lol This thread reminded me of Portlandia. Made me chuckle out loud. So, I should ammend that in the beginning. I meant col.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V3nMnr8ZirI

You might struggle a little more with the singlespeed bike, but you can't go wrong with either option. Multi-speed is almost always going to make your life easier, so that's why i'd have to recommend that. You might as well rent one, though, and I'm sure there are multiple locations from which you can rent a bicycle, singlespeed or multispeed!

nicholiasiv said:
Hey everyone, I plan on being in Portland soon and I'm wondering if renting or bringing a single speed bicycle would be adequate for traversing the streets of Portland. I hear it is a very cycling friendly city, so I'm not worried about finding the right places to ride. Since I've heard it has varied terrain, I'm wondering if a single speed will do or if I should invest in a multi-speed ride. If you've been there before, any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!
When I visited Portland Oregon, I don't recall seeing a lot of single speeds and I did make a conscious effort to look for them. I do recall seeing a LOT of cyclists on commuter bikes and they seemed very conventional in regards to style and gear. I didn't see one person without a helmet (which is a good thing). Its an extremely bike friendly city but its not San Francisco. Unless your racing or doing tricks (fixed) Single speed is more about minimalism and simplicity, its more of an attitude. Steele frames with clean lines....how can someone not find that aesthetically appealing?

JoanMcWench said:
lol This thread reminded me of Portlandia. Made me chuckle out loud. So, I should ammend that in the beginning. I meant col.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V3nMnr8ZirI
Haha, that is funny. I think it's scripted though, especially the train bit because I know some of them, anyways, doesn't make it any less funny lol thank you for that laugh mate.

I grew up in Portland, you need some gears. While some pats of Portland are pretty flat, I don't you will be spending all your time there. Portland has some serious hills you should be prepared for. I never road on the street when I lived there because I was far to nervous to be so close to that much traffic. Good luck and be careful.