Singlespeed MTB Chain Troubles

George L. Porte

Guest
I recently built up a ss mtb. I got an old Marin Frame and fork for 10bux. I used an old derailleur
for a tensioner. I cut the bottom jockey wheel off and it acts as a push down type tensioner. I rode
2 rides this past week (about 12 miles each) and did the RI NEMBA ride Sunday (21miles). I had some
slight slippage/noise on the first two rides under force. Sunday at about mile 15, the chain slipped
on every hill so I resorted to running up to prevent damage. I already have a surly singleator on
order and it should be here for next weekend. Anyone use the singleator? Will it cure this problem?
I am only grabbing about 7 teeth now on an 18 tooth cog. I presume this is the reason. I can't
shorten the chain with the derailleur doohickey because it hits the cog. I am just worried about if
it is the freehub missing sometimes. Is there a way to tell if it is the freehub or the chain
slipping. I will have the singleator soon so I will try that.

FWIW I have never lost the chain (except once due to a crash). I measured the chain line and it
looks good. The chain tracks straight leaving the ring and cog. The rear wheel is a freehub with
spacers to put the cog in the right spot and a Shimano MX66 18 tooth cog. The noise is definitely
coming from the rear. The pedal doesn't move much when I hear the noise. It seems like just one
tooth. When I have wrecked freehubs in the past the misses took about 180 degrees to grab but I
have concerns about the freehub. I just don't know if it is able to handle this abuse. There is a
little bit of wobble in the freehub if I try to wiggle it but my XT freehub on the geary does the
same thing.

I just hate to buy a SS wheel because then my chainline will be off. I think most are like 51mm. I
am using a salsa non ramped ring in the middle of a MTB crank (~48mm). Could I just move to the
outside? My $100 project is now $150 with the singleator. I am putting a new chain too after all
that banging this weekend A wheel will put me at about $250.

It is fun to ride though. I don't even want to ride my geared hardtail anymore. 4 years ago, I
needed a new bike (I needed a sus fork and more gears). Now I want to ride a full rigid singlespeed.

Thanks GP

George L. Porter, IV
> I recently built up a ss mtb. I got an old Marin Frame and fork for 10bux. I used an old
> derailleur for a tensioner. I cut the bottom jockey wheel off and it acts as a push down type
> tensioner. I rode 2 rides this past week (about 12 miles each) and did the RI NEMBA ride Sunday
> (21miles). I had some slight slippage/noise on the first two rides under force. Sunday at about
> mile 15, the chain slipped on every hill so I resorted to running up to prevent damage. I already
> have a surly singleator on order and it should be here for next weekend. Anyone use the
> singleator? Will it cure this problem? I am only grabbing about 7 teeth now on an 18 tooth cog. I
> presume this is the reason.

Consider that the most you can theoretically grab on an 18 tooth ring is 9 and you are not
doing badly.

Are you using a old, used front ring? I say that because the last time I had skipping under load,
which seemed like it must be the rear, it was the front.

I finally concluded this because by jumping on the pedal with the bike standing still and the brakes
applied, and watching and listening carefully.

CRM

nope, brand new front ring, rear cog, and chain. I can't make it do it by just stomping a pedal like
you said. I can do it going up my driveway but I can't look back at the same time.

The rear wheel is from my old 7speed bike but it was just installed a few months before I got a new
bike. I don't know if the freehub would go that fast. Maybe with the singlespeed it is taking too
much abuse.

news:p[email protected]...