Singlespeed Newbie: er, help?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mtbguy, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Mtbguy

    Mtbguy Guest

    Acutally, I don't need too much help. Let me give you the lowdown, and let me know if I
    tracking it right:

    It started like this. The Fuel was in the shop (waiting for another *&^%$ piece) and the boys wanted
    to ride. All I had handy was my rigid dekerf and some junk parts. I threw them together, but as I
    did so it occured to me I could simplify matters by losing the DR front and rear. So I did just
    that, and rammed the shortened chain onto the middle rings front and back.

    The first sensation was....light! (the dekerf is 853 chromy) And I was ready to roll.

    Our ride is extremely technical with ups and downs but nothing wicked. It was funsational. I was
    outta the seat the whole ride, just me and the ride 1-on-1. I was focussed like never before.
    This was OK!

    Of course, this pile of shit wasn't going to cut it. So I looked around on the 'Net. Confusion. I
    didn't know my vertical drop out from my horizontal, my freewheel from my freehub. And,
    amazingly, my LBS

    I found Spot in Vancouver and they seemed cool. Many SS sites were dead, but these guys are alive
    and well. I got some advice on rings (17-34 man!) and dekerf agreed to repaint the frame. It's
    looking good.

    Thanks to the sites that did help (SS Annonymous, Harris Cyclery) but I would like to hear from the
    SS boys of the A-MTB NG.

    I'm keeping the Fuel, but I want to know....how far can this SS baby go?

    Keep me posted!

    MTBguy.ca

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    MTBguy wrote:
    > Acutally, I don't need too much help. Let me give you the lowdown, and let me know if I tracking
    > it right:
    >
    > It started like this. The Fuel was in the shop (waiting for another *&^%$ piece) and the boys
    > wanted to ride. All I had handy was my rigid dekerf and some junk parts. I threw them together,
    > but as I did so it occured to me I could simplify matters by losing the DR front and rear. So I
    > did just that, and rammed the shortened chain onto the middle rings front and back.
    >
    > The first sensation was....light! (the dekerf is 853 chromy) And I was ready to roll.
    >
    > Our ride is extremely technical with ups and downs but nothing wicked. It was funsational. I was
    > outta the seat the whole ride, just me and the ride 1-on-1. I was focussed like never before.
    > This was OK!

    Oh Jeez, not another one...

    heehee

    Penny

  3. It can go as far as you need it.

    I had a first generation Surly. THen I converted my Merlin XLM to Single. Next the Merlin road bike.
    Now I ahve what appears to me to be the best singlespeed ever, a Karate Monkey.

    They'll take you as far as you need to go, if not a little farther.

    Some links: http://www.anthonysloan.com/Karate_Monkeys.html

    http://www.anthonysloan.com/Womble.html

    http://www.anthonysloan.com/FUSSY.html

    --
    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  4. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Acutally, I don't need too much help. Let me give you the lowdown, and let me know if I tracking
    > it right:
    >
    > It started like this. The Fuel was in the shop (waiting for another *&^%$ piece) and the boys
    > wanted to ride. All I had handy was my rigid dekerf and some junk parts. I threw them together,
    > but as I did so it occured to me I could simplify matters by losing the DR front and rear. So I
    > did just that, and rammed the shortened chain onto the middle rings front and back.
    >
    > The first sensation was....light! (the dekerf is 853 chromy) And I was ready to roll.
    >
    > Our ride is extremely technical with ups and downs but nothing wicked. It was funsational. I was
    > outta the seat the whole ride, just me and the ride 1-on-1. I was focussed like never before.
    > This was OK!
    >
    > Of course, this pile of shit wasn't going to cut it. So I looked around on the 'Net. Confusion. I
    > didn't know my vertical drop out from my horizontal, my freewheel from my freehub. And,
    > amazingly, my LBS

    > I found Spot in Vancouver and they seemed cool. Many SS sites were dead, but these guys are alive
    > and well. I got some advice on rings (17-34 man!) and dekerf agreed to repaint the frame. It's
    > looking good.
    >
    > Thanks to the sites that did help (SS Annonymous, Harris Cyclery) but I would like to hear from
    > the SS boys of the A-MTB NG.
    >
    > I'm keeping the Fuel, but I want to know....how far can this SS baby go?
    >
    > Keep me posted!
    >

    > MTBguy.ca

    I've got a full suspension, front suspension, rigid geared, and now the single speed. When I ride
    the single speed, I don't miss the suspension, front or rear. It is unbelievably precise in
    handling. I checked with Harris Cyclery too (Sheldon Brown) when I was looking into bikes, and found
    him quite helpful. Much against most of the advice I have been given, I am taking mine to a very
    technical area for a MTB festival next weekend.

  5. Mtbguy

    Mtbguy Guest

    >I've got a full suspension, front suspension, rigid geared, and now the single speed. When I ride
    >the single speed, I don't miss the suspension, front or rear. It is unbelievably precise in
    >handling. I checked with Harris Cyclery too (Sheldon Brown) when I was looking into bikes, and
    >found him quite helpful. Much against most of the advice I have been given, I am taking mine to a
    >very technical area for a MTB festival next weekend.

    Let us know how it goes!

  6. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:04:31 -0400, MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snippage>

    > Thanks to the sites that did help (SS Annonymous, Harris Cyclery) but I would like to hear from
    > the SS boys of the A-MTB NG.
    >
    > I'm keeping the Fuel, but I want to know....how far can this SS baby go?
    >
    > Keep me posted!

    I would say, "Careful, you are treading on thin ice!" ... but it sounds like you've already been
    assimilated MTBguy.

    Best of luck to you. SSing breathed new life in to my MTB experience. Yeah, I still pull the geared
    FS out of the barn every now and again, but it's not matched the fun I've had on the SS for the last
    coupla seasons.

    Gman

  7. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >I've got a full suspension, front suspension, rigid geared, and now the single speed. When I ride
    > >the single speed, I don't miss the suspension, front or rear. It is unbelievably precise in
    > >handling. I checked with Harris Cyclery too (Sheldon Brown) when I was looking into bikes, and
    > >found him quite helpful. Much against most of the advice I have been given, I am taking mine to a
    > >very technical area for a MTB festival next weekend.
    >

    > Let us know how it goes!

    This might not sound right, but I took the SS to the shop today for some different gearing. It
    pedals way to easy for me; it would be perfect if all I did was climb hills, but that's not the case
    of course.

    I stopped into a shop, which I hadn't been in before, on my way to work the other day. It just
    caught my eye, because they had a Redline flourescent sign in the window. Anyway, I stopped in and
    was talking with the owner. When I told him I rode a single speed, and moreover, rode it off road,
    he was in awe! No, I certainly don't live in MTB heaven.

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks to the sites that did help (SS Annonymous, Harris Cyclery) but I would like to hear from
    > the SS boys of the A-MTB NG.
    >
    > I'm keeping the Fuel, but I want to know....how far can this SS baby go?

    You should have been riding that DeKerf all along instead of your other ride. Get a SS specific
    wheel built up for the rear and use a PAUL Melvin tensioner. Put a rigid fork on the front and get
    some porky tires. Most of all, don't depend on the inexperience of people on the 'net who claim to
    be singlespeeders. It's not about being "stylish", it's about riding a bike.

    JD

  9. Mtbguy

    Mtbguy Guest

    On 26 Apr 2003 07:08:13 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    >MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Thanks to the sites that did help (SS Annonymous, Harris Cyclery) but I would like to hear from
    >> the SS boys of the A-MTB NG.
    >>
    >> I'm keeping the Fuel, but I want to know....how far can this SS baby go?
    >
    >You should have been riding that DeKerf all along instead of your other ride. Get a SS specific
    >wheel built up for the rear and use a PAUL Melvin tensioner. Put a rigid fork on the front and get
    >some porky tires. Most of all, don't depend on the inexperience of people on the 'net who claim to
    >be singlespeeders. It's not about being "stylish", it's about riding a bike.
    >
    >JD

    Thanks, JD, I appreciate the advice. I'm getting a Spot rear wheel built as we speak; as for the
    Melvin, that's from Cambria, right? I'll check it out.

    BTW, I've heard some good comments from guys in the NG about you and, since I'm coming your way
    next September, it would be my pleasure to top up your glass and have an ol' sit down and talk
    bikes with you.

    MTBguy.ca

  10. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    "MTBguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Thanks, JD, I appreciate the advice. I'm getting a Spot rear wheel built as we speak

    Make sure you get a stainless rather than aluminum axle. Mine Spot came with aluminum, and I snapped
    the sucker in it's second year of use. Spot sent my LBS a stainless axle as a replacement, telling
    the shop that the aluminum is not recommended for riders weighing more than 120 lbs! That rules out
    most males, eh?

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:04:31 -0400, MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]

    >Keep me posted!
    >

    >MTBguy.ca

    Welcome aboard!

    :-]

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 26 Apr 2003 07:08:13 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
    >
    > >MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Thanks to the sites that did help (SS Annonymous, Harris Cyclery) but I would like to hear from
    > >> the SS boys of the A-MTB NG.
    > >>
    > >> I'm keeping the Fuel, but I want to know....how far can this SS baby go?
    > >
    > >You should have been riding that DeKerf all along instead of your other ride. Get a SS specific
    > >wheel built up for the rear and use a PAUL Melvin tensioner. Put a rigid fork on the front and
    > >get some porky tires. Most of all, don't depend on the inexperience of people on the 'net who
    > >claim to be singlespeeders. It's not about being "stylish", it's about riding a bike.
    > >
    > >JD
    >

    > Thanks, JD, I appreciate the advice. I'm getting a Spot rear wheel built as we speak; as for the
    > Melvin, that's from Cambria, right? I'll check it out.

    Listen to Doug about the Spot axles and get the steel. Have your LBS order you the Melvin, as it's
    good to support your LBS if it's a good shop. Cambria is in California, not Canada (eh).

    > BTW, I've heard some good comments from guys in the NG about you and, since I'm coming your way
    > next September, it would be my pleasure to top up your glass and have an ol' sit down and talk
    > bikes with you.

    All lies. If it's the right time in Sept, bring your singlespeed and join my singlespeed epic ride.
    Ride first, beer later.

    JD

  13. "MTBguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 26 Apr 2003 07:08:13 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote: BTW, I've heard some good comments
    > from guys in the NG about you and, since I'm coming your way next September, it would be my
    > pleasure to top up your glass and have an ol' sit down and talk bikes with you.
    >
    > MTBguy.ca
    Stuart, I take it all back. I was forced into riding with JD on Thursday, he doen't know the area,
    not very friendly at all, just a mean old grump whose long hair keeps getting caught in is Santa
    Cruz freeride bike. I could of had more fun on the streets on NYC. :)
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado