Singlespeed Newbie: er, help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mtbguy

Acutally, I don't need too much help. Let me give you the lowdown, and let me know if I
tracking it right:

It started like this. The Fuel was in the shop (waiting for another *&^%$ piece) and the boys wanted
to ride. All I had handy was my rigid dekerf and some junk parts. I threw them together, but as I
did so it occured to me I could simplify matters by losing the DR front and rear. So I did just
that, and rammed the shortened chain onto the middle rings front and back.

The first sensation was....light! (the dekerf is 853 chromy) And I was ready to roll.

Our ride is extremely technical with ups and downs but nothing wicked. It was funsational. I was
outta the seat the whole ride, just me and the ride 1-on-1. I was focussed like never before.
This was OK!

Of course, this pile of **** wasn't going to cut it. So I looked around on the 'Net. Confusion. I
didn't know my vertical drop out from my horizontal, my freewheel from my freehub. And,
amazingly, my LBS

I found Spot in Vancouver and they seemed cool. Many SS sites were dead, but these guys are alive
and well. I got some advice on rings (17-34 man!) and dekerf agreed to repaint the frame. It's
looking good.

Thanks to the sites that did help (SS Annonymous, Harris Cyclery) but I would like to hear from the
SS boys of the A-MTB NG.

I'm keeping the Fuel, but I want to know....how far can this SS baby go?

Keep me posted!

MTBguy.ca

MTBguy wrote:
> Acutally, I don't need too much help. Let me give you the lowdown, and let me know if I tracking
> it right:
>
> It started like this. The Fuel was in the shop (waiting for another *&^%$ piece) and the boys
> wanted to ride. All I had handy was my rigid dekerf and some junk parts. I threw them together,
> but as I did so it occured to me I could simplify matters by losing the DR front and rear. So I
> did just that, and rammed the shortened chain onto the middle rings front and back.
>
> The first sensation was....light! (the dekerf is 853 chromy) And I was ready to roll.
>
> Our ride is extremely technical with ups and downs but nothing wicked. It was funsational. I was
> outta the seat the whole ride, just me and the ride 1-on-1. I was focussed like never before.
> This was OK!

Oh Jeez, not another one...

heehee

Penny

It can go as far as you need it.

I had a first generation Surly. THen I converted my Merlin XLM to Single. Next the Merlin road bike.
Now I ahve what appears to me to be the best singlespeed ever, a Karate Monkey.

They'll take you as far as you need to go, if not a little farther.

Some links: http://www.anthonysloan.com/Karate_Monkeys.html

http://www.anthonysloan.com/Womble.html

http://www.anthonysloan.com/FUSSY.html

MTBguy wrote:
>
> Acutally, I don't need too much help. Let me give you the lowdown, and let me know if I tracking
> it right:
>
> It started like this. The Fuel was in the shop (waiting for another *&^%$ piece) and the boys
> wanted to ride. All I had handy was my rigid dekerf and some junk parts. I threw them together,
> but as I did so it occured to me I could simplify matters by losing the DR front and rear. So I
> did just that, and rammed the shortened chain onto the middle rings front and back.
>
> The first sensation was....light! (the dekerf is 853 chromy) And I was ready to roll.
>
> Our ride is extremely technical with ups and downs but nothing wicked. It was funsational. I was
> outta the seat the whole ride, just me and the ride 1-on-1. I was focussed like never before.
> This was OK!
>
> Of course, this pile of **** wasn't going to cut it. So I looked around on the 'Net. Confusion. I
> didn't know my vertical drop out from my horizontal, my freewheel from my freehub. And,
> amazingly, my LBS

>
> I found Spot in Vancouver and they seemed cool. Many SS sites were dead, but these guys are alive
> and well. I got some advice on rings (17-34 man!) and dekerf agreed to repaint the frame. It's
> looking good.
>
> Thanks to the sites that did help (SS Annonymous, Harris Cyclery) but I would like to hear from
> the SS boys of the A-MTB NG.
>
> I'm keeping the Fuel, but I want to know....how far can this SS baby go?
>
> Keep me posted!
>
>
>
> MTBguy.ca
>
>
>
>

--
My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> it right:
>
>
>
> This was OK!
>
> Of course, this pile of **** wasn't going to cut it. So I looked around on the 'Net. Confusion. I
> didn't know my vertical drop out from my horizontal, my freewheel from my freehub. And,
> amazingly, my LBS

>
> I found Spot in Vancouver and they seemed cool. Many SS sites were dead, but these guys are alive
> and well. I got some advice on rings (17-34 man!) and dekerf agreed to repaint the frame. It's
> looking good.
>
> Thanks to the sites that did help (SS Annonymous, Harris Cyclery) but I would like to hear from
>
>
> Keep me posted!
>
>
>
> MTBguy.ca

I've got a full suspension, front suspension, rigid geared, and now the single speed. When I ride
the single speed, I don't miss the suspension, front or rear. It is unbelievably precise in
handling. I checked with Harris Cyclery too (Sheldon Brown) when I was looking into bikes, and found
him quite helpful. Much against most of the advice I have been given, I am taking mine to a very
technical area for a MTB festival next weekend.

>I've got a full suspension, front suspension, rigid geared, and now the single speed. When I ride
>the single speed, I don't miss the suspension, front or rear. It is unbelievably precise in
>handling. I checked with Harris Cyclery too (Sheldon Brown) when I was looking into bikes, and
>found him quite helpful. Much against most of the advice I have been given, I am taking mine to a
>very technical area for a MTB festival next weekend.

Let us know how it goes!

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:04:31 -0400, MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote:

<snippage>

>
>
> Keep me posted!

I would say, "Careful, you are treading on thin ice!" ... but it sounds like you've already been
assimilated MTBguy.

Best of luck to you. SSing breathed new life in to my MTB experience. Yeah, I still pull the geared
FS out of the barn every now and again, but it's not matched the fun I've had on the SS for the last
coupla seasons.

Gman

> >
> >I've got a full suspension, front suspension, rigid geared, and now the single speed. When I ride
> >the single speed, I don't miss the suspension, front or rear. It is unbelievably precise in
> >handling. I checked with Harris Cyclery too (Sheldon Brown) when I was looking into bikes, and
> >found him quite helpful. Much against most of the advice I have been given, I am taking mine to a
> >very technical area for a MTB festival next weekend.
>
>
>
> Let us know how it goes!

This might not sound right, but I took the SS to the shop today for some different gearing. It
pedals way to easy for me; it would be perfect if all I did was climb hills, but that's not the case
of course.

I stopped into a shop, which I hadn't been in before, on my way to work the other day. It just
caught my eye, because they had a Redline flourescent sign in the window. Anyway, I stopped in and
was talking with the owner. When I told him I rode a single speed, and moreover, rode it off road,
he was in awe! No, I certainly don't live in MTB heaven.

>

You should have been riding that DeKerf all along instead of your other ride. Get a SS specific
wheel built up for the rear and use a PAUL Melvin tensioner. Put a rigid fork on the front and get
some porky tires. Most of all, don't depend on the inexperience of people on the 'net who claim to
be singlespeeders. It's not about being "stylish", it's about riding a bike.

JD

On 26 Apr 2003 07:08:13 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

>MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Thanks to the sites that did help (SS Annonymous, Harris Cyclery) but I would like to hear from
>> the SS boys of the A-MTB NG.
>>
>> I'm keeping the Fuel, but I want to know....how far can this SS baby go?
>
>You should have been riding that DeKerf all along instead of your other ride. Get a SS specific
>wheel built up for the rear and use a PAUL Melvin tensioner. Put a rigid fork on the front and get
>some porky tires. Most of all, don't depend on the inexperience of people on the 'net who claim to
>be singlespeeders. It's not about being "stylish", it's about riding a bike.
>
>JD

Thanks, JD, I appreciate the advice. I'm getting a Spot rear wheel built as we speak; as for the
Melvin, that's from Cambria, right? I'll check it out.

BTW, I've heard some good comments from guys in the NG about you and, since I'm coming your way
next September, it would be my pleasure to top up your glass and have an ol' sit down and talk
bikes with you.

MTBguy.ca

"MTBguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thanks, JD, I appreciate the advice. I'm getting a Spot rear wheel built as we speak

Make sure you get a stainless rather than aluminum axle. Mine Spot came with aluminum, and I snapped
the sucker in it's second year of use. Spot sent my LBS a stainless axle as a replacement, telling
the shop that the aluminum is not recommended for riders weighing more than 120 lbs! That rules out
most males, eh?

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:04:31 -0400, MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]
>
>Keep me posted!
>
>
>
>MTBguy.ca
>
Welcome aboard!

Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

> On 26 Apr 2003 07:08:13 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
>
> >MTBguy <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Thanks to the sites that did help (SS Annonymous, Harris Cyclery) but I would like to hear from
> >> the SS boys of the A-MTB NG.
> >>
> >> I'm keeping the Fuel, but I want to know....how far can this SS baby go?
> >
> >You should have been riding that DeKerf all along instead of your other ride. Get a SS specific
> >wheel built up for the rear and use a PAUL Melvin tensioner. Put a rigid fork on the front and
> >get some porky tires. Most of all, don't depend on the inexperience of people on the 'net who
> >claim to be singlespeeders. It's not about being "stylish", it's about riding a bike.
> >
> >JD
>
>
> Thanks, JD, I appreciate the advice. I'm getting a Spot rear wheel built as we speak; as for the
> Melvin, that's from Cambria, right? I'll check it out.

Listen to Doug about the Spot axles and get the steel. Have your LBS order you the Melvin, as it's
good to support your LBS if it's a good shop. Cambria is in California, not Canada (eh).

> BTW, I've heard some good comments from guys in the NG about you and, since I'm coming your way
> next September, it would be my pleasure to top up your glass and have an ol' sit down and talk
> bikes with you.

All lies. If it's the right time in Sept, bring your singlespeed and join my singlespeed epic ride.
Ride first, beer later.

JD

"MTBguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 26 Apr 2003 07:08:13 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote: BTW, I've heard some good comments
> from guys in the NG about you and, since I'm coming your way next September, it would be my
> pleasure to top up your glass and have an ol' sit down and talk bikes with you.
>
> MTBguy.ca
Stuart, I take it all back. I was forced into riding with JD on Thursday, he doen't know the area,
not very friendly at all, just a mean old grump whose long hair keeps getting caught in is Santa
Cruz freeride bike. I could of had more fun on the streets on NYC. :)
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.