SingleSpeeds are for the mentally and physically challenged

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Now I know it's true.

    --
    Slacker - multi-geared Super Squish for life

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:
    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Now I know it's true.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Slacker - multi-geared Super Squish for life
    >>

    > So how long do you figure were the only two mountain bikers in here without SS's?
    >
    > Mike

    make that three. But I do have a spare old steel Giant HT frame in the garage...

    penny

  4. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    : So how long do you figure were the only two mountain bikers in here
    without
    : SS's?
    :
    : Mike
    :
    :

    The ss is the only bike I've ridden since I got it a week and a half ago, except for one Sea Otter
    preride last Saturday. XC, that is. Been riding the trials bike as well but, that's different. And
    besides, even that one only has 7 gears. ;)

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com

    --

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Michael Dart wrote:
    > > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> Now I know it's true.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Slacker - multi-geared Super Squish for life
    > >>

    > > So how long do you figure were the only two mountain bikers in here without SS's?
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > make that three. But I do have a spare old steel Giant HT frame in the garage...

    I'm not riding mine, and not happy with it (they're bad for the back and knees, dontchaknow....),
    so, do I count too?

    Shaun aRe - too many hills around here as well..........

  6. Martees

    Martees Guest

    Count me among the SS'less as well. I STILL don't get it.

    Marty

  7. John G

    John G Guest

    I quite agree.

    --
    Gimpy, ADD/OCD

  8. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Count me among the SS'less as well. I STILL don't get it.
    >
    > Marty

    Simplicity. Purity. Workout. Building strength (which transfers to the multispeed XC bike) Training.
    Satisfaction when no multispeeder you know can even come close to catching up when climbing hills.

    I've only taken mine for 7 rides since I got it and I'm already addicted.

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
    --

  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Count me among the SS'less as well. I STILL don't get it.
    > >
    > > Marty
    > >

    > Simplicity. Purity. Workout. Building strength (which transfers to the multispeed XC bike)
    > Training. Satisfaction when no multispeeder you know
    can
    > even come close to catching up when climbing hills.

    Of course, the multispeeders put their bikes in the large chainring and smoke you on the downhill.
    Then they select the proper gear for the flats and smoke you there, too. Sure, you beat them in one
    area when they beat you in every single other area. And then there's sand, when you need some light
    gearing to keep the pedals spinning. And the list goes on and on...

  10. Bob wrote:

    >Of course, the multispeeders put their bikes in the large chainring and smoke you on the downhill.
    >Then they select the proper gear for the flats and smoke you there, too. Sure, you beat them in one
    >area when they beat you in every single other area. And then there's sand, when you need some light
    >gearing to keep the pedals spinning. And the list goes on and on...

    Some people just won't ever get it.

    Guess it's best that way.

  11. "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | >

    | > Count me among the SS'less as well. I STILL don't get it.
    | >
    | > Marty
    | >

    | Simplicity. Purity. Workout. Building strength (which transfers to the multispeed XC bike)
    | Training. Satisfaction when no multispeeder you know can even come close to catching up when
    | climbing hills.

    That really depends upon the hills, now doesn't it?

    --
    Pete "Mitchell Canyon for instance" Fagerlin

    Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

  12. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > Michael Dart wrote:
    > > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> Now I know it's true.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Slacker - multi-geared Super Squish for life
    > >>

    > > So how long do you figure were the only two mountain bikers in here without SS's?
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > make that three. But I do have a spare old steel Giant HT frame in the garage...
    >
    > penny

    4! ~CG

  13. Paul Beakley

    Paul Beakley Guest

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:55:57 -0800, "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That really depends upon the hills, now doesn't it?
    >

    >--
    >Pete "Mitchell Canyon for instance" Fagerlin

    Or the gear ratio.

    Being pedantic,

    p.Outside America: Mountain Bike America -- Arizona Guidebook available at bike shops, bookstores,
    and online
    (480) 756-2460 | (602) 370-7107 cell http://www.mountainbikearizona.com

  14. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:18:27 GMT, Slacker wrote:
    > Now I know it's true.

    I could see using a singlespeed if the trail had just gotten too easy with a multi-speed. I don't
    see that happening for the "physically challenged"...nor do I see that happening on the majority of
    trails around here. If I'd have stayed in Texas, I might own one.

    I could just see myself pushing one of these up a mile-long climb, while others pass me in
    granny gear. "Just look at the simplicity, the purity!" I would tell them...and they just
    wouldn't "get it".

  15. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    > Now I know it's true.

    Yes, please go on. What finally convinced you? And your point is?

    Paladin When the uninitiated ask me why I ride that light, simplistic beast, with no gears,
    suspension or maintenance to speak of, I just play my speech on tape. If you have to ask, no
    explanation is adequate. If you've tried it, none is necessary.

  16. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > That really depends upon the hills, now doesn't it?
    >

    > --
    > Pete "Mitchell Canyon for instance" Fagerlin

    I was exaggerating. I don't think I could ride the ss up Mitchell Canyon. At least, I don't think
    I'd *want* to. Heh.

    --

  17. Michael Dart wrote:
    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Now I know it's true.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Slacker - multi-geared Super Squish for life
    >>

    > So how long do you figure were the only two mountain bikers in here without SS's?
    >
    > Mike

    Heh, I can't even afford to make my bike a SS, let alone have a quiver ;)

    Jon Bond

  18. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Cinder Girl wrote:

    >>Michael Dart wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]...

    >>>So how long do you figure were the only two mountain bikers in here without SS's?
    >>>
    >>>Mike
    >>
    >>make that three. But I do have a spare old steel Giant HT frame in the garage...
    >>
    >>penny
    >>

    > 4! ~CG

    Five....

    Kathleen

  19. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >

    > > > Count me among the SS'less as well. I STILL don't get it.
    > > >
    > > > Marty
    > > >

    > > Simplicity. Purity. Workout. Building strength (which transfers to the multispeed XC bike)
    > > Training. Satisfaction when no multispeeder you know
    > can
    > > even come close to catching up when climbing hills.
    > >
    > Of course, the multispeeders put their bikes in the large chainring and smoke you on the downhill.
    > Then they select the proper gear for the flats and smoke you there, too. Sure, you beat them in
    > one area when they beat you in every single other area. And then there's sand, when you need some
    > light gearing to keep the pedals spinning. And the list goes on and on...

    Good try. But beating others at races has nothing to do with their appeal. Just like my son says,
    "you just don't get it." And that's OK. I'm tolerant, and even amused at how the fish describe life
    on land to each other.

    Paladin

  20. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Good try. But beating others at races has nothing to do with their appeal. Just like my son says,
    > "you just don't get it." And that's OK. I'm tolerant, and even amused at how the fish describe
    > life on land to each other.
    >
    > Paladin

    All in all (with my usual bullsh¡t and exaggerations aside) I'm just enjoying the workout and change
    of pace and style. :)

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com