Singleton speaks truth

Fausto Coppied

Aug 17, 2006
Gord Singleton, one of the winning cyclists in Canadian history, a World Record holder and World Champ had this to say about the Canadian Cycling association in an interview with Fixed Gear Fever (FGF Bicycle Racing) :

FGF: Canadians have produced some good sprinters over the years. Yourself, Kirk Harnett, Lori Ann Munzer. Is this due to the Canadian cycling program or the individual efforts of these riders?

Gord Singleton: Without a doubt, 100% individual efforts. The CCA will flame me for this but it needs to said, " They are so far behind, that they think they are winning". Canada has had plenty of success's but these are all in spite of rather than because of. I've been doing this for over 30 years now, I think that I have some experience.

You just watch what will come out of Forest City (London On velodrome where Singleton volunteers) over the next 2-3 years. If this group that we have now follow our program they are going to maximize their potentials. And RG, aka Rob Good is a real stand up guy, no messing. I feel honored to be working with him and his volunteers.

You can read the whole interview here:http://www.fixedgearfever.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=490

So, don’t take my word for it, you have that of a multi-time World Champion and CBC sports commentator.

Gord Singleton joins Eric Van den Eynde, former CCA national team coach who was with Lori Ann Meunzer in Athens when she won her gold medal. Eric quit last week because he said he would if the CCA changed his promised goals and methods. Eric wonders why the CCA has abandoned all hope for the Olympics in 2008 or even 2012, the CCA is talking about 2016.

There is no hope with the CCA and no plan. The Association has been ruined by Bill Kinash and Pierre Hutsebaut (Pedal Magazine and Canadian Cyclist Magazine, won't do their jobs and tell you that). It will take ten years to rebuild and that only if they put somebody in charge from the sport, with a proven record, innovativeness and the balls to make the difficult changes necessary.

A complete house cleaning is in order.

Ask yourselves why guys with the talent and experience like Singleton are volunteering on their own, on the fringes of the sport and not part of the CCA? Why do guys like Van den Eynde and almost every cycling coach Canada has had over a decade quit in disgust? ? Curt Harnett was voted off the CCA Board of Directors. Brian Walton works in the sport in the US. Martin Barras has been in Australia for 15 years. Many other riders have just left the sport completely.

The sport is rotten from the top down.

The Raving Gnome has been banned from Canadian Cyclist. We can continue the discussion with Gord Singleton here, if you like since it would not have existed without The Gnome asking permission from Gord to post it. When someone else mentioned Gord's interview on CC, the thread just died.

The Gnome is too dangerous to be allowed to express an opinion.

The Editors at CC, too petty.

There part of the what ails Canadian cycling, petty-minded hanger-ons like Rob Jones.

The lack of mainstream media coverage in Canadian cycling is directly porportional to he rise of Canadian Cyclist Magazine.

Looks like I'am banned from CC as well. I tried to post a reply to D'Qued and they will not allow it. I havn't said anything nasty YET!.

Anyways for what its worth here was my reply to D'Qued

Here is the link & the reply.
http://www.canadiancyclist.com/default2.html

" D'Qued,
I agree with you that top athletes will not always make the best coach's.
What we need to establish at the top is experience. Experience based on the basic fundamentals of the sport, and understanding the in's and out's of the game. The person needs to be very knowledgable at the international level, understanding what it takes to get there.
So IMHO, it boils down to who is hired for the job. What do they know and where can they take it.
I'am very interested to see just where Canada goes with this new program headed by Alex Bauman. His experience and insite from Australia should be very helpful to the Canadian athletes. "

Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 12:32 PM
To: 'Ed Arzouian'; 'Ed Arzouian'; 'lestomlinsonaol.com'; 'Lister Farrar'; 'louis.barbeaufqsc.net'; 'wpomtelus.net'; 'Louisevelocs.com'; 'smerkerontariocycling.org'; 'Curt Harnett'; 'finance'; 'coachcanadian-cycling.com'; 'Christie, James'; 'Randy Starkman The Star'; 'Graham Parley The Star'; 'G&M Sports Ed D.Leeder'; 'NP Sports Ron Wadden'; 'pierre.foglialapresse.ca'; 'Pierre Hamel'; 'sports3'; 'sports2'; 'Kristy Cycling News'; 'bjew7dogs.com'; 'Wayne Scanlan'; 'rjones2'; 'Brett Stewart'; 'officealbertabicycle.ab.ca'; 'jmonchukcp.org'; 'CP Bill Beacon'; 'steve.lacellecanadian-cycling.com'; 'Pedal Magazine'; 'wmoriartypng.canwest.com'; 'erolfsenpng.canwest.com'; 'Marcia Stewart'; 'pierre.blanchardsympatico.ca'; 'kim.sebrangocanadian-cycling.com'; 'Bill Kinash'; 'phickeythegazette.canwest.com'; 'scowanthegazette.canwest.com'; 'Sylvain Richard'; 'Yvan Martineau'; 'Yvan Martineau'; 'SportDecision'; 'Sport Tribune'; 'Sport Nouvelliste'; 'Sport Le Soleil'; 'Sport La Voix de l'Est'; 'Sport La Presse'; 'Sport Journal de Montréal'; 'Simon Drouin'; 'Robert Jutras'; 'Rob Jones'; 'René Pothier'; 'Réal Labbé'; 'Pierre-Louis Augustin'; 'Pierre Pouliot'; 'Pierre Jury'; 'Pierre Hamel'; 'Pierre Foglia'; 'Michelle Gendron'; 'Mathieu Laberge'; 'Martin Smith'; 'Marie-Josée Turcotte'; 'Marc-André Joanisse'; 'Luce Richard'; 'Luc Bellemare'; 'Louis Hardy'; 'Léandre Drolet'; 'Laurent Godbout'; 'Alain Bergeron'; 'Sport30 - RDS'; 'CKAC-Nouvelles'; 'scowanthegazette.canwest.com'; 'dstubbsthegazette.canwest.com'; 'Martin Smith'
Subject: Unbelievable: Singleton banned by Canadian Cyclist!

This is unbelievable, Rob Jones, Owner and Editor of Canadian Cyclist Magazine (or his ditzy wife , Tracy a.k.a. “Editoress”) has banned Gord Singleton, former Sprint World Record Holder, World Champion, CBC Broadcaster and recent representative this fall of Canada at the World Track Master Championships in England from posting on the Canadian Cyclist web forum.

How heavy-handed is that?

Singleton speaks out against the Canadian Cycling Association and their lap dog Rob Jones bans one of Canada’s greatest cyclist from posting his view.

In-******’-credible.

Here it is:

6002 vbmenu_register("postmenu_3061558", true);

Re: Singleton speaks truth

Looks like I'm banned from CC as well. I tried to post a reply to D'Qued and they will not allow it. I haven't said anything nasty YET!.

Anyways for what its worth here was my reply to D'Qued

Here is the link & the reply.
http://www.canadiancyclist.com/default2.html

" D'Qued,
I agree with you that top athletes will not always make the best coach's.
What we need to establish at the top is experience. Experience based on the basic fundamentals of the sport, and understanding the ins and outs of the game. The person needs to be very knowledgeable at the international level, understanding what it takes to get there.
So IMHO, it boils down to who is hired for the job. What do they know and where can they take it.
I'm very interested to see just where Canada goes with this new program headed by Alex Bauman. His experience and insight from Australia should be very helpful to the Canadian athletes. "

To DQ'ed,

The comments regarding Alex Bauman were Gord Singleton's not The Raving Gnome's nor Worf Man.

From Canadian Cyclist in a similar thread regarding Singleton's comments:

Espoir-Shadow
to_post_off.gif
Today, 07:48 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member
pip.gif
pip.gif
pip.gif

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,138

spacer.gif

QUOTE(wheels a turnin' @ Nov 1 2006, 01:37 AM)

I believe what the CCA needs is accountability...

If you want to see how hard it is just ask where the training center for cycling should be located in this country. Everyone will have a different idea on where. The only ones that won't respond will most likely be the CCA.

My two cents

They sure do need to be accountable. But in terms of getting a center like you mentioned in place it would require much more funding then the CCA can put out, even if they wanted to. Something like that requires either more money from the government, or a business plan that shows solidly to investors that they could get a good return out of pumping out some top notch Canadian cyclists. Anyhow you get a Canuck that wins the tour, that would be huge coin for companies that were invested. What I think though; no one has set up a program that's tough enough to attract that type of sponsorship (in Canada), unless I'm missing something?

Espoir Shadow,

I cannot reply you via the forum as Rob & Tracy Jones, the Editors continually ban me. You can visit www.cyclingforums.com if you want to discuss this further.

I would correct your assumption that the CCA cannot afford a training centre.

The CCA has a windfall of $600,000 in the bank from the 2003 Road World Championships Legacy. So far that money is being used like a Band-aid, dispensed in tiny amounts if at all, instead a cure for what ails the CCA.

That $600,000 through programs like the Federal Infrastructure program and others could easily be converted into about $2,000,000 or $3,000,000 if the CCA were to give it to a municipality ready to fund a centre and ask its province and the feds for matching money.

Furthermore, the CCA pays a whopping $52,000 A YEAR for its shabby and useless offices in downtown Ottawa.

The CCA could located itself near the Forest City Velodrome (or a new one) with offices, mechanics shops, garages, a cycling track, storage, gyms etc., a really create a central, practical facility as a base of operations AND NEVER PAY RENT AGAIN.

I have been arguing for this for three years.

The CCA and its current President Pierre Blanchard are aware of the idea.

Blanchard does not understand why the CCA is paying $52,000 A YEAR for its offices either.

The CCA has never had creative and innovative people at its helm. It has had bureaucrats and small-minded, small-time operators, usually with their own personal agendas rather than the interest of the sport in mind.

Feel free to post this if you like on Canadian Cyclist forum. I will post this response and your post on www.cyclingforums.com "Canada" under “Singleton”

Good luck with your crusade on CCA, fausto. Sounds like someone has to expose the rot and your doing plenty.

But if you really want to make your mark you need to get "media-savvy". Rave and rant less. Investigate, document, expose.

And don't just stick it to 'em in a forum read by 30 canadians and one or two Aussies - get into the mainstream media too. They love scandals, especially when it comes down to the vapid expenditure of public money. They like public officials caught in compromising positions with scantily clad women better, but that won't work with cycling administrators, will it?

jock.c said:
Good luck with your crusade on CCA, fausto. Sounds like someone has to expose the rot and your doing plenty.

But if you really want to make your mark you need to get "media-savvy". Rave and rant less. Investigate, document, expose.

And don't just stick it to 'em in a forum read by 30 canadians and one or two Aussies - get into the mainstream media too. They love scandals, especially when it comes down to the vapid expenditure of public money. They like public officials caught in compromising positions with scantily clad women better, but that won't work with cycling administrators, will it?
Jock C.

Thx for the suggestion.

I guess you did not look at the email addresses in my earleir post:

'lestomlinsonaol.com'; CCA
'Lister Farrar'; CCA
'louis.barbeaufqsc.net'; Queebc Fed.
'wpomtelus.net'; BC Fed, CCA'Louisevelocs.com';
'smerkerontariocycling.org'; ONT Fed
'Curt Harnett';
'finance'; 'coachcanadian-cycling.com'; '
Christie, James'; Globe and Mail
'Randy Starkman The Star'; Toronot Star
'Graham Parley The Star';
'G&M Sports Ed D.Leeder'; 'Globe and Mail
NP Sports Ron Wadden'; National Post
'pierre.foglialapresse.ca'; ' La Presse
Pierre Hamel'; Velo Mag
'sports3'; '
sports2';
'Kristy Cycling News'; '
bjew7dogs.com'; Velo News
'Wayne Scanlan'; Ottawa citizen
'rjones2'; '
Brett Stewart';
'officealbertabicycle.ab.ca';
'jmonchukcp.org'; Canadian Press Sports
'CP Bill Beacon'; Canadian Press Sports
'steve.lacellecanadian-cycling.com';
'Pedal Magazine';
'wmoriartypng.canwest.com'; ' Vancouver Sun
erolfsenpng.canwest.com'; Vancouver Sun
'Marcia Stewart'; Tim Horotns
'pierre.blanchardsympatico.ca'; '
kim.sebrangocanadian-cycling.com';
'Bill Kinash';
'phickeythegazette.canwest.com'; Montreal Gazette
'scowanthegazette.canwest.com'; Montreal Gazette

All Quebec Sports media:
'Sylvain Richard';
'Yvan Martineau';
'Yvan Martineau';
'SportDecision'; TV
'Sport Tribune';
'Sport Nouvelliste'; '
Sport Le Soleil'; Quebec City
'Sport La Voix de l'Est'; ' Sherbrooke
Sport La Presse';
'Sport Journal de Montréal'; '
Simon Drouin';
'Robert Jutras';
'Rob Jones'; '
René Pothier';
'Réal Labbé'; '
Pierre-Louis Augustin'; '
Pierre Pouliot';
'Pierre Jury';
'Pierre Hamel'; '
Pierre Foglia'; '
Michelle Gendron'; '
Mathieu Laberge'; '
Marie-Josée Turcotte'; ' CBC/SRC
Marc-André Joanisse';
'Luce Richard'; '
Luc Bellemare'; 'Louis Hardy'; 'Léandre Drolet'; 'Laurent Godbout'; 'Alain Bergeron'; 'Sport30 - RDS'; '
CKAC-Nouvelles'; '
scowanthegazette.canwest.com';
'dstubbsthegazette.canwest.com'; '
Martin Smith' Journal de Montreal

Fausto Coppied said:
I guess you did not look at the email addresses in my earleir post...
Nope. Filtered.

So how many of them have picked up on it and put something to press so far? Any nibbles at all?

Impossible to say what they do with this information. Some read it. Some don't. Some use the info. Some don't. All I can do is keep getting the message otu that things are broken and maybe, eventually, they will get fixed.

People do listen, after all Hutsebaut (CCA Executive Director) was canned, so was Kinash (CCA President), Lacelle (CCA COO) quit, we have an official national criterium championship now, OCA changed the Masters age bracket, CCA started selling jerseys, these are all things I have been calling for.

Fausto Coppied said:
Impossible to say what they do with this information. Some read it. Some don't. Some use the info. Some don't. All I can do is keep getting the message otu that things are broken and maybe, eventually, they will get fixed.
(Generalisation Alert) Journo's are lazy buggers. They like to be spoon fed most of the time. You have to practically write the articles for them these days. Anything that requires them to do more investigative work than a quick search on Google is too much like hard work it seems.