Singleton speaks truth

Fausto Coppied

New Member
Aug 17, 2006
Gord Singleton, one of the winning cyclists in Canadian history, a World Record holder and World Champ had this to say about the Canadian Cycling association in an interview with Fixed Gear Fever (FGF Bicycle Racing) :

FGF: Canadians have produced some good sprinters over the years. Yourself, Kirk Harnett, Lori Ann Munzer. Is this due to the Canadian cycling program or the individual efforts of these riders?

Gord Singleton: Without a doubt, 100% individual efforts. The CCA will flame me for this but it needs to said, " They are so far behind, that they think they are winning". Canada has had plenty of success's but these are all in spite of rather than because of. I've been doing this for over 30 years now, I think that I have some experience.

You just watch what will come out of Forest City (London On velodrome where Singleton volunteers) over the next 2-3 years. If this group that we have now follow our program they are going to maximize their potentials. And RG, aka Rob Good is a real stand up guy, no messing. I feel honored to be working with him and his volunteers.

You can read the whole interview here:http://www.fixedgearfever.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=490

So, don’t take my word for it, you have that of a multi-time World Champion and CBC sports commentator.

Gord Singleton joins Eric Van den Eynde, former CCA national team coach who was with Lori Ann Meunzer in Athens when she won her gold medal. Eric quit last week because he said he would if the CCA changed his promised goals and methods. Eric wonders why the CCA has abandoned all hope for the Olympics in 2008 or even 2012, the CCA is talking about 2016.

There is no hope with the CCA and no plan. The Association has been ruined by Bill Kinash and Pierre Hutsebaut (Pedal Magazine and Canadian Cyclist Magazine, won't do their jobs and tell you that). It will take ten years to rebuild and that only if they put somebody in charge from the sport, with a proven record, innovativeness and the balls to make the difficult changes necessary.

A complete house cleaning is in order.

Ask yourselves why guys with the talent and experience like Singleton are volunteering on their own, on the fringes of the sport and not part of the CCA? Why do guys like Van den Eynde and almost every cycling coach Canada has had over a decade quit in disgust? ? Curt Harnett was voted off the CCA Board of Directors. Brian Walton works in the sport in the US. Martin Barras has been in Australia for 15 years. Many other riders have just left the sport completely.

The sport is rotten from the top down.

The Raving Gnome has been banned from Canadian Cyclist. We can continue the discussion with Gord Singleton here, if you like since it would not have existed without The Gnome asking permission from Gord to post it. When someone else mentioned Gord's interview on CC, the thread just died.

The Gnome is too dangerous to be allowed to express an opinion.

The Editors at CC, too petty.

There part of the what ails Canadian cycling, petty-minded hanger-ons like Rob Jones.

The lack of mainstream media coverage in Canadian cycling is directly porportional to he rise of Canadian Cyclist Magazine.

Looks like I'am banned from CC as well. I tried to post a reply to D'Qued and they will not allow it. I havn't said anything nasty YET!.

Anyways for what its worth here was my reply to D'Qued

Here is the link & the reply.
http://www.canadiancyclist.com/default2.html

" D'Qued,
I agree with you that top athletes will not always make the best coach's.
What we need to establish at the top is experience. Experience based on the basic fundamentals of the sport, and understanding the in's and out's of the game. The person needs to be very knowledgable at the international level, understanding what it takes to get there.
So IMHO, it boils down to who is hired for the job. What do they know and where can they take it.
I'am very interested to see just where Canada goes with this new program headed by Alex Bauman. His experience and insite from Australia should be very helpful to the Canadian athletes. "