Sinkewitz is our next positive rider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on ! Everyone just stop. The blood tests do not test for the use of PED's. The blood test is a health test for hemocrit only. The urine tests are the drug tests. Thats why they get the results back so quickly.

Cobblestones said:
The problem is AFAIK (and I wanted to discuss this in Dr. House's thread '51 blood tests...' but it was unfortunately closed, and anyway, too many tin foil hats in there), that most tests take time. What can be checked fast and reliably is (AFAIK) the hematocrit level, and I think that was the test which they reported on (meaning all 51 riders were below 50, but they don't make any statement how they might have arrived at, say 48.5).

Other tests are more involved. For instance hematocrit=/=artificial oxygen carriers such as Hemopure (commonly called 'cow blood') or Polyheme (which is produced from human blood). I'm not even sure they (can) test for those things. Then there's all the steroids such as testosteron etc. And don't forget the presence of possible masking agents. There's a reason Landis rode to Paris last year. Some tests simply take time.

I would guess that they have to check the B sample now, but they might only check for the T/E ratio. Then WADA would have to argue that the T is exogenous (hard to test) and so on. It could drag out (as always).

So, does that mean Sinkewitz'll have to pay one year of his salary? And tough luck for the German viewers. Although I have no delusions about a clean TdF this year, I'd rather see it than not.

Yes I should have made that clearer. Urine sample for testosterone, blood sample for hematocrit. But the blood test is not only for 'health' as you say, it is basically a doping test since one cannot get a value higher than 50% by other than doping (blood doping, EPO). The (somewhat artificial) WADA limit of 50% (and you'll kicked out of the race when you're above) is in fact already dangerously high, which is why it is pitched as a 'health check'. But as I said, hematocrit=/=Hemopure or Polyheme, so I don't think they check the blood sample for those during the 'health check' and I don't know if they can detect metabolized products from 'cow blood' in the urine sample.

Gerdemann's threatened to retire if doping still remains in cycling. This from the man who once worked under Riis and Cecchini? lol.

Cobblestones said:
But the blood test is not only for 'health' as you say, it is basically a doping test since one cannot get a value higher than 50% by other than doping (blood doping, EPO).
Sure you can. If I remember correctly, 2% of the population naturally has a HcT above 50%. The test is sensitive to dehydration.

The last time I had my HcT tested it was 52%.

jsull14 said:
umm, perhaps an embarrassing question here, but what does inflated testosterone do for a cyclist? I understand what more red blood cells mean, but not testosterone.
i would guess that these guys' training puts their natural test levels in the gutter, which can lead to catabolism. if would guess that they use small amounts in order to ensure that they are feeliing good and not losing muscle.

Bro Deal said:
Sure you can. If I remember correctly, 2% of the population naturally has a HcT above 50%. The test is sensitive to dehydration.

The last time I had my HcT tested it was 52%.
Considered a career in cycling?

Dead Star said:
Considered a career in cycling?
I am not aware of any study that shows a correlation between natural Hct and aerobic performance. Just because someone has a higher hematocrit than you do does not mean they will be a better cylists than you are.

In fact with blood manipulation someone with a lower natural Hct has an advantage over those with a higher one because there is more room for boosting.

I live at 5000 feet and do alot of training at between 9K and 10K.

not attempting to hijack the thread, but can't we at least give t-mob a tip of the cap for continuing their sponsorship of the sport while trying to clean up their team, unlike the many other sponsors who simply cut and run? quite frankly this is the path i would like to see other teams follow to rid the sport of this curse...

slovakguy said:
not attempting to hijack the thread, but can't we at least give t-mob a tip of the cap for continuing their sponsorship of the sport while trying to clean up their team, unlike the many other sponsors who simply cut and run? quite frankly this is the path i would like to see other teams follow to rid the sport of this curse...
no, i will never tip my cap to that team because it exposes my bald spot from ripping my hair out year after year of watching the most idiotic tactics in cycling.

Dead Star said:
Gerdemann's threatened to retire if doping still remains in cycling. This from the man who once worked under Riis and Cecchini? lol.
Well, Tmobile is pimping him as the anti-ulle. Something about this kid irks me. Time will tell though.

Tubbs said:
24:1!!! In Your Face Floyd Landis!!!
That's nothing compared to Kessler's 85:1. Landis should have been given a slap on the wrist. His ratio barely qualifies as doping compared to some of these other guys.

Klodifan said:
Well, Tmobile is pimping him as the anti-ulle. Something about this kid irks me. Time will tell though.

Do you remember the Tour de Suisse last year ? Ulle and Linus worked in tandem together for Linus to win a stage... they spoke very highly of each other... probably shared needles as well.... thats love......

I for one do not believe he cheated. He hasn't done anything substantial in the last 2 years other than winning a race in May. So if he was cheating, it did nothing for him. I am confident that B Sample will come back negative. He is not a cheat.

Grater said:
I for one do not believe he cheated. He hasn't done anything substantial in the last 2 years other than winning a race in May. So if he was cheating, it did nothing for him. I am confident that B Sample will come back negative. He is not a cheat.
Who are:

Joe Papp?
Frankie Andreu?
Filippo Simeoni?
Philippe Gaumont?
Neil Stephens?
Pascal Herve?
Thomas davy?
Rolf Aldag?
Udo Bolts?
Peter Winnen?
Gianni Faresin?
Richard Faltus?
Gary Edwards?
Armand De Las Ceuvas?

New doping standards can exempt whomever you wish?

Remember when Landis caught 85:1 Sinkewitz last year and then rode past him ? 85:1 Sinkewitz could'nt even hold his wheel.......

whiteboytrash said:
Remember when Landis caught 85:1 Sinkewitz last year and then rode past him ? 85:1 Sinkewitz could'nt even hold his wheel.......
His birth control hormones can explain away the T/E ratio. It is a red herring anyway.

The ratio is irrelevant, the exogenous testosterone is taken on a daily basis. When you add insulin, thyroid steroids, Clomid, a blood transfusion and six hour training rides/races----the T/E ratio can easily get away from you.

I'll bet you that Landis wanted to tow him or anyone else to the stage 17 line---so that they, not he would be drug tested.

Doctor.House said:
His birth control hormones can explain away the T/E ratio. It is a red herring anyway.

The ratio is irrelevant, the exogenous testosterone is taken on a daily basis. When you add insulin, thyroid steroids, Clomid, a blood transfusion and six hour training rides/races----the T/E ratio can easily get away from you.

I'll bet you that Landis wanted to tow him or anyone else to the stage 17 line---so that they, not he would be drug tested.
True and, I never considered that ref. Landis. Natural testosterone is all over the place when you're training hard, much less when it's being manipulated by a host of chemicals.

I guess I'm shocked by those who are shocked to find that "Oh dear, my favorite pro tour rider is a doper." And they're all, "But he must not get anything out of it. He only won one race in May?" Well, that's all he gets from it then. Some people get more, some not as much, but everyone's performance elevates.

Check over at the doping forum in the next couple days. I'm going to write about how to effectively dope with testosterone and how easy and cheap it is to secure, the miniscule health impacts and how to recover from it so you can do it all over again. And, how you retain the strength gains from one cycle to the next so that after 18 months, five testosterone cycles, you're completely destroying the competition that once destroyed you.

And that's just tesosterone. Later I show how easy it is to secure and administer EPO, EQ, and the classic pre-race amphetamine stack ECA. This is simple stuff. Imagine what you could do under a doctor's supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.