Sinkewitz wheelsucking

thebluetrain

Jul 31, 2004
Just got finished watching todays stage. Whats up with Sinkewitz? He was even wheelsucking on the decent. On the coverage they even showed the work load between the two: Landis 100% Sinkewitz 0%. Gives new meaning to the term brown nose.

thebluetrain said:
Just got finished watching todays stage. Whats up with Sinkewitz? He was even wheelsucking Floyd on the decent. On the coverage they even showed the work load between the two: Landis 100% Sinkewitz 0%. Gives new meaning to the term brown nose.
Not sure he had a choice, he eventually got dropped.

thebluetrain said:
Just got finished watching todays stage. Whats up with Sinkewitz? He was even wheelsucking Floyd on the decent. On the coverage they even showed the work load between the two: Landis 100% Sinkewitz 0%. Gives new meaning to the term brown nose.
WTF. He has a teammate named Kloden. Another named Rogers. He is not going to stick half his nose out into the wind, and he certainly was not going to help Landis. He would be out of a job if he did.

thebluetrain said:
Just got finished watching todays stage. Whats up with Sinkewitz? He was even wheelsucking on the decent. On the coverage they even showed the work load between the two: Landis 100% Sinkewitz 0%. Gives new meaning to the term brown nose.

Well, I can see where this is coming from.... see this is the T-Mobile squad... until Vino left inter-team fights were common... hahaha

thebluetrain said:

that would've been disaster for t-mobile... if he helped landis... why would he help landis? landis needed to win or get some more time than sinkewitz did. and probably sinkewitz got on the breakaway just to help out one of their leaders whenever they get caught by the contenders, just like what happened yesterday. needless to say, he had the privilege to sit on landis' wheel.

Lonnie Utah said:
I'm glad somebody said it...

I don't begrudge Hincapie his win last year, but it is worth pointing out that Sinkewitz didn't come around for the win 400 meters from the finish.

This is not a serious thread,I hope. If he had helped Landis he would been laughed out of the peloton and fired from the team.
There is a lot of unwrtten etiquette in the tour but helping your opponent gain time on your teammate does not fall into the category.

El Loto said:
I agree. It was a silly question in the first place.
Sinkewitz did a brilliant job and one that Sastre Kloden and Evans were not up to. Just to stay with him was great.

And if you are in the wrong place psychologically--which Floyd obiously wasnt--it would annoy and demoralize the sh#t out of you to have him there wheelsucking.

But I think the time splits made it clear that he was gapping who he needed to gap.

Then the cost of the effort showed, when they hit the Joux Plane, Sinkewitz exploded in the first 100 meters (unless someone here is gonna say he was ordered to sit up NOT)

tcklyde said:
I don't begrudge Hincapie his win last year, but it is worth pointing out that Sinkewitz didn't come around for the win 400 meters from the finish.
That's only because he couldn't, not because he wouldn't.

I will acknowledge one other big difference between Sinkewitz yesterday and Hincapie last year. Hincapie was behind Pereiro, who was no big threat to Armstrong in the GC last year. That's a bit different than Sinkewitz's situation yesterday, when he was tailing a rider who was rapidly erasing his team leader's GC advantage. That doesn't change the fact that neither Sinkewitz yesterday or Hincapie last year had any obligation to help another rider gain time. Hincapie may have "sucked wheels" like Sinkewitz, but both men did it with license. Sucks for Sinkewitz that he happened to be trying to stay on the wheels of a man with a mission.

rejobako said:
That's only because he couldn't, not because he wouldn't.

Not necessarily. I'm sure you remember the Voigt not taking the stage from Garate in the Giro.

Said Voigt: "I was always sitting on the back of the attack, but I couldn't win today because I didn't work at all. You can only win if you are the strongest and it wouldn't have been right if I did."

tcklyde said:
Not necessarily. I'm sure you remember the Voigt not taking the stage from Garate in the Giro.

Said Voigt: "I was always sitting on the back of the attack, but I couldn't win today because I didn't work at all. You can only win if you are the strongest and it wouldn't have been right if I did."

Point taken. Voigt was indeed magnanimous that day, although I maintain he had no obligation to be, and in the reporting of the stage afterwards, the gesture was taken as gallant, but out of the ordinary. I wonder if Voigt would have done the same thing if CSC didn't have a rider poised to win the GC. More to the point, I wonder what CSC would have said to Voigt in that event.

No matter -- I will agree with you that Sinkewitz may not have tried to pip Floyd if he had the chance.

rejobako said:
Point taken. Voigt was indeed magnanimous that day, although I maintain he had no obligation to be, and in the reporting of the stage afterwards, the gesture was taken as gallant, but out of the ordinary.

Real big of him to announce to the world that it was a gift. A truly magnanimous gesture would have been to sit up, put on his bonk face, and announce that Garate was stronger today. Instead he got more press than the winner did.