Sinking Blueberries

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by King's Crown, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    I made blueberrie muffins yesterday, which the kids and hubby said were
    good, BUT the blueberries had sunk to the bottom of each muffin. Any hints
    on why? I've never had that happen before.

    Lynne

    Tags:

  2. King's Crown wrote:
    > I made blueberrie muffins yesterday, which the kids and hubby said were
    > good, BUT the blueberries had sunk to the bottom of each muffin. Any hints
    > on why? I've never had that happen before.
    >
    > Lynne

    If the blueberries are wet, I toss them with some flour before I put
    them in the batter- that seems to help.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  3. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    King's Crown wrote:
    > I made blueberrie muffins yesterday, which the kids and hubby said were
    > good, BUT the blueberries had sunk to the bottom of each muffin. Any hints
    > on why? I've never had that happen before.
    >
    > Lynne

    They're heavy with moisture. I have heard that if you dredge them
    lightly in flour, that helps.

    N.

  4. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    King's Crown wrote:
    > I made blueberrie muffins yesterday, which the kids and hubby said were
    > good, BUT the blueberries had sunk to the bottom of each muffin. Any hints
    > on why? I've never had that happen before.
    >
    > Lynne

    My wife buys (frozen) Cascadian Farm® Organic Blueberries and
    although I have yet to use them for muffins, I do often make blueberry
    pancakes. Unlike many frozen blueberries, they're big, plump and
    "uncompromised", meaning most if not all remain whole which i'd
    imagine helps keep them from absorbing additional moisture. That may
    help keep them from sinking- regardless, they're a great alternative to
    fresh blueberries and can be found in the organic frozen foods section.
    Kev

  5. hw

    hw Guest

    "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I made blueberrie muffins yesterday, which the kids and hubby said were
    >good, BUT the blueberries had sunk to the bottom of each muffin. Any hints
    >on why? I've never had that happen before.
    >
    > Lynne

    Put them in a large strainer or collander & sprinkle about a quarter cup of
    flour on the berries, then shake off the excess, this puts sort of a
    coating and keeps them from dropping to the bottom of the pan...this also
    works with nuts and other stuff that may be too heavy for the batter and
    have a tendency to sink. Add them to the batter just before pouring into
    the muffin tin or pan.

    Harriet & critters (J J the world famous jack russell terrior who is feeling
    needy & is sitting on my lap; P K the lady manx who rules the house; and my
    son Joseph who is recovering from bronchitis).

  6. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    "hw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I made blueberrie muffins yesterday, which the kids and hubby said were
    >>good, BUT the blueberries had sunk to the bottom of each muffin. Any
    >>hints on why? I've never had that happen before.
    >>
    >> Lynne
    >>

    > Put them in a large strainer or collander & sprinkle about a quarter cup
    > of flour on the berries, then shake off the excess, this puts sort of a
    > coating and keeps them from dropping to the bottom of the pan...this also
    > works with nuts and other stuff that may be too heavy for the batter and
    > have a tendency to sink. Add them to the batter just before pouring into
    > the muffin tin or pan.
    >
    > Harriet & critters (J J the world famous jack russell terrior who is
    > feeling needy & is sitting on my lap; P K the lady manx who rules the
    > house; and my son Joseph who is recovering from bronchitis).

    Thanks everyone! They were canned blueberries and boy were they wet and
    juicy, which I thought was good thing. I guess it was the reason they
    slipped down to the bottom. I'll try coating them in flour first next time.
    I chose the canned verses the frozen, because I wanted them to be juicy. I
    may have to try the frozen ones also. Kids have decided they like blueberry
    muffins and they make a great easy breakfast. I'm always trying to sneak a
    fruit or vegetable in on them.

    Lynne

  7. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "hw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>I made blueberrie muffins yesterday, which the kids and hubby said were
    >>>good, BUT the blueberries had sunk to the bottom of each muffin. Any
    >>>hints on why? I've never had that happen before.
    >>>
    >>> Lynne
    >>>

    >> Put them in a large strainer or collander & sprinkle about a quarter cup
    >> of flour on the berries, then shake off the excess, this puts sort of a
    >> coating and keeps them from dropping to the bottom of the pan...this also
    >> works with nuts and other stuff that may be too heavy for the batter and
    >> have a tendency to sink. Add them to the batter just before pouring into
    >> the muffin tin or pan.
    >>
    >> Harriet & critters (J J the world famous jack russell terrior who is
    >> feeling needy & is sitting on my lap; P K the lady manx who rules the
    >> house; and my son Joseph who is recovering from bronchitis).

    > Thanks everyone! They were canned blueberries and boy were they wet and
    > juicy, which I thought was good thing. I guess it was the reason they
    > slipped down to the bottom. I'll try coating them in flour first next
    > time. I chose the canned verses the frozen, because I wanted them to be
    > juicy. I may have to try the frozen ones also. Kids have decided they
    > like blueberry muffins and they make a great easy breakfast. I'm always
    > trying to sneak a fruit or vegetable in on them.
    >
    > Lynne

    A piece of 2-cents advise: if you use the canned ones and strain them:
    1) strain them 2) freeze them for a short while 3) then coat them with flour
    Then add.
    Sorry if this has already been said.
    Dee Dee

  8. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:

    > A piece of 2-cents advise: if you use the canned ones and strain them:
    > 1) strain them 2) freeze them for a short while 3) then coat them with flour

    Spend that extra penny; for 3¢ you get advice. <g>

    Sheldon

  9. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    >Dee Randall wrote:
    >
    > A piece of 2-cents advise: if you use the canned ones and strain them:
    > 1) strain them 2) freeze them for a short while 3) then coat them with
    > flour

    >Spend that extra penny; for 3¢ you get advice. <g>

    >Sheldon

    Like a car accident I always have to open Sheldon's email and look. He
    never disappoints.

    Lynne

  10. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Dee Randall wrote:
    >>
    >> A piece of 2-cents advise: if you use the canned ones and strain them:
    >> 1) strain them 2) freeze them for a short while 3) then coat them with
    >> flour

    >>Spend that extra penny; for 3¢ you get advice. <g>

    >>Sheldon

    > Like a car accident I always have to open Sheldon's email and look. He
    > never disappoints.
    >
    > Lynne

    Also, Lynne, when you (or anyone else that I open their posting) respond to
    Sheldon, even tho I've killfiled him long ago, I still get to see a few of
    his postings. I know this will never happen, but what I would like to see
    happen is that no one respond to his postings. I've long ago killfiled
    slowly some/most of his defenders even though some have good cooking advice.

    Nor do I have interest (on this ng) to view individuals' opinions regarding
    politics nor religion nor smut. Glad to say there are plenty of posters I
    can read with interest who are articulate, helpful and bring an extra
    measure of happiness to my cooking life.
    Dee Dee

  11. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    King's Crown wrote:

    > Thanks everyone! They were canned blueberries and boy were they wet and
    > juicy, which I thought was good thing. I guess it was the reason they
    > slipped down to the bottom. I'll try coating them in flour first next time.
    > I chose the canned verses the frozen, because I wanted them to be juicy. I
    > may have to try the frozen ones also. Kids have decided they like blueberry
    > muffins and they make a great easy breakfast. I'm always trying to sneak a
    > fruit or vegetable in on them.
    >
    > Lynne

    I would think the frozen ones would be fresher than canned becasue they
    would be less processed. Plus with freezing, the cell structure would
    be broken down a little and be more juicy than fresh (believe it or not)