Sinus infection days before race

crazyb1

Feb 29, 2012
Hello so I am going to be doing my first crit this Saturday, however its seems as though my body is against me and I've had a runny nose and a horse voice for the past three days. Today I am feeling slightly better in regards to my voice but I was wondering if I should even go out at all on Saturday or should I just train for another one next month? What are you guy's experiences with racing and dealing with illness? Any tips or stories? Thanks

When I have a fever I stay off the bike completely. When I have a minor cold I keep the pace in the zone 2 range and try to avoid any intensity.

First crit sounds exciting - there's still 2 days to feel better and you will be the best judge. Always better to hold off and have a good first experience and not dig the hole any deeper. It really all depends how the cold has manifested in your body and how compromised you are. There's still a long summer of racing ahead, and no one on these forums is really qualified to diagnose over the internet...

Originally Posted by danfoz .

When I have a fever I stay off the bike completely. When I have a minor cold I keep the pace in the zone 2 range and try to avoid any intensity.

First crit sounds exciting - there's still 2 days to feel better and you will be the best judge. Always better to hold off and have a good first experience and not dig the hole any deeper. It really all depends how the cold has manifested in your body and how compromised you are. There's still a long summer of racing ahead, and no one on these forums is really qualified to diagnose over the internet...
Would it be wise of me to see how I do on a moderate paced group ride (18-20 mph) tonight? Just to see how I keep up or just rest as much as I can?

I think either choice is good. The training ride could be a good barometer, BUT don't be goaded into any shinanegans or lightpost sprints. Nothing you do today will affect your result if you decide to race but could prolong the recovery period from your cold if you go a bit too hard. Susequently the added recovery time of taking off the bike completely may help you feel a little more chipper on Sat morning. Personally though I would decide one way or the other by Fri evening and commit to that choice. Some may prefer to wait till Sat morning to decide.

I did a TT last year where I really was not in good shape, I had a bout of diahrea the night before and was dehydrated and had a high pulse the morning of the event. If it were a RR of which I do about 10-15 each year I would have just hung up my cleats for the next time but it was the only TT I was doing all year and had re-adjusted my training routine, purchased a set off TT bars and and a helmet and was going to do it come hell or highwater... I came in dead last and suffered like never before but was still happy I did it. But that's crazy old me. If I had kids it would be do as I say not do as I do. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Originally Posted by danfoz .

I think either choice is good. The training ride could be a good barometer, BUT don't be goaded into any shinanegans or lightpost sprints. Nothing you do today will affect your result if you decide to race but could prolong the recovery period from your cold if you go a bit too hard. Susequently the added recovery time of taking off the bike completely may help you feel a little more chipper on Sat morning. Personally though I would decide one way or the other by Fri evening and commit to that choice. Some may prefer to wait till Sat morning to decide.

I did a TT last year where I really was not in good shape, I had a bout of diahrea the night before and was dehydrated and had a high pulse the morning of the event. If it were a RR of which I do about 10-15 each year I would have just hung up my cleats for the next time but it was the only TT I was doing all year and had re-adjusted my training routine, purchased a set off TT bars and and a helmet and was going to do it come hell or highwater... I came in dead last and suffered like never before but was still happy I did it. But that's crazy old me. If I had kids it would be do as I say not do as I do. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
Sounds like one hell of a day. Since there are only a handful of races in my area, I'm most likely just gonna go ahead and do it. I'm not expecting much at all, I don't even expect to really finish in the top 10, but again I think I'm just gonna be excited and happy just because I finished my first race. I can't really get myself into too much of a hole if I didn't really start one at all.

This.

Fever: Lay off.

Just a cold, sore throat, etc.: Train, but at a reduced effort.

I've had a runny nose...

Pull left before blowing snot!

So for the first race I got dead last, and I really enjoyed every second of it :). There was a second day of racing and I thought i should just go for it and enjoy. I got 4th because a handful of riders either dnf or dns. There was a crazy hard steep hill (18% grade) and just hung on til the end. I can't wait til the next race, and thanks for helping me guys.

Excellent! Some would get discouraged but it sounds like you are not that guy! And then look what happens day 2...

Good job on finishing btw - I've discovered unless it's a flat tire or a bad accident, even rolling in dead last is better than a DNF, at least phsycologically.

I actually got a gap on the 3rd place rider but ironically my chain dropped. and i tired myself out to catch up to him, thats why I almost didnt finish the race. But yeah I love the feeling of being there in the race. Now I just need a coach to train me up and maybe I can be decent next year in Cat. 5. (im a junior right now)