sinus problems/allergic reactions

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Leon, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. Leon

    Leon Guest

    I am a recreational swimmer and have a problem with indoor pools that
    is really nocking me down, which is getting a "stuffy nose", I guess
    sinus infection, with all the associated symptoms (stuffed nose,
    running nose, frequent sneezing, tired and feeling weak etc).

    In one pool I go to the problem is worst, especially if I go underwater
    (even just shallow, even for just one/two lengths) - I know I will get
    the symptoms.
    Once I figured that one out, I know I really need to keep my head above
    water.
    This pool has relative high water temp (33centigrade, it's for kids and
    families). Usually the symptoms persist for a week or so.

    The other pool I go to has lower water temperature (28 or so) and the
    problem is noticably less, although when I went last week for the first
    time in season, only for 30mins I got the problem right afterwards. I
    realised I had gotten water inside (problem is that I _like_ to swim
    underwater).

    My feeling is that the problem is particularly associated with getting
    chlorinated and/or warm water inside (in summer I swim a lot outdoors
    in salt and relative cold water and NEVER have the problem).

    I am quite allergic in general and I know I am also easily getting
    colds. I have tried to search the web and this newsgroup for clues but
    have not got much further other than that it is known that chorinated
    water can irritate the sinusses. Some people suggest a nose-clip may
    work, others say not...

    Anyone out here that can shed more light on the problem and offer some
    suggestions on what to do other than give up swimming? Many thanks

    Tags:

  2. Leon wrote:
    > I am a recreational swimmer and have a problem with indoor pools that
    > is really nocking me down, which is getting a "stuffy nose", I guess

    I swim with a professional singer who must wear a nose plug *and* ear
    plugs, or he says it affects his voice adversely. One or both may do
    something for you.

    Rik

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    I was a competitve swimmer for many many years and never had problems. Then
    I started coaching and swimming to stay in shape. As my years progressed
    (I'm 39 now) I noticed the symptoms would get worse after I swam. It would
    not happen every time but one in a while. The symptoms were akin to a head
    cold. Stuff and runny nose, sinus pressure and sneezing. I went to an
    allergist and they tested me for everything under the sun. I was not
    allergic to anything. The doctor did say you cannot be allergic to chlorine
    and it was probably due to something else in the water.

    Needless to say, I tried nose plugs which did work to an extent but I was
    never comfortable swimming with them as I had not used them at all in my
    swimming career and they tended to dislodge on the flip turn push off.

    What has worked better is taking an antihistamine before I workout. I don't
    do it all the time and there are times when I get no symptoms.
    Occasionally, the symptoms appear again and I just deal with it.

    news:[email protected]