Sirloin and Top Sirloin

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Last night we had USDA Choice top sirloin that was on sale for $3.99 a
    pound. It was terrific, BBQed with olive oil and Montreal Steak
    seasoning + pepper and garlic.

    Questions:

    1. What is the difference between Sirloin and Top Sirloin? I assume
    it's the position in the cow. I know that with Top Round, you best
    get the center cut, as the is a row of fat crossing the piece
    horizontally.

    2. I've noticed that the McCormick "Grill Mates" Montreal Steak
    Seasoning has changed. It isn't as good and I have been adding
    crushed pepper and Garlic Powder to replace the missing taste. It
    almost tastes like what the Montreal Chicken Seasoning tastes like.

    3. Do you all feel that the plastic wrap used in supermarkets ruins
    meat? I remove the wrap or at least open it in the car. When I get
    home and totally remove it and let it sit in the refrigerator for at
    least a day, thanks to Alton Brown's advice. I think it helps to get
    some of the excess water out and enhance the flavor. I wonder if
    supermarket butchers would wrap meat in butcher paper if you ask for
    it. I'm going to try next time.

    Tags:

  2. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Last night we had USDA Choice top sirloin that was on sale for $3.99 a
    > pound. It was terrific, BBQed with olive oil and Montreal Steak
    > seasoning + pepper and garlic.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1. What is the difference between Sirloin and Top Sirloin? I assume
    > it's the position in the cow. I know that with Top Round, you best
    > get the center cut, as the is a row of fat crossing the piece
    > horizontally.
    >
    > 2. I've noticed that the McCormick "Grill Mates" Montreal Steak
    > Seasoning has changed. It isn't as good and I have been adding
    > crushed pepper and Garlic Powder to replace the missing taste. It
    > almost tastes like what the Montreal Chicken Seasoning tastes like.

    I feel your pain. Montreal Steak Spice is my favourite spice blend.
    Sam's Club sells a "Canadian Steak Seasoning" made by Tone's. It used
    to be called Montreal Steak Spice but they must have got their fingers
    rapped. The Tone's blend is almost identical to the McCormick's. The
    large 28 oz size may be a deterrant if you don't use a lot of it. The
    price is quite reasonable at IIRC $4.99.

    > 3. Do you all feel that the plastic wrap used in supermarkets ruins
    > meat? I remove the wrap or at least open it in the car. When I get
    > home and totally remove it and let it sit in the refrigerator for at
    > least a day, thanks to Alton Brown's advice. I think it helps to get
    > some of the excess water out and enhance the flavor. I wonder if
    > supermarket butchers would wrap meat in butcher paper if you ask for
    > it. I'm going to try next time.

    We buy our meats from a butcher shop. The meats are always wrapped in
    butcher paper. The few times I buy meat wrapped in plastic and
    styrofoam trays I re-wrap it at home. I heard somewhere that if
    freezing meat it should be re-wrapped from its store wrap so have just
    done it that way. Sometimes its a meat such as spareribs or pork
    tenderloin that the local market just cut and wrapped that day but it's
    in the plastic and tray. Often I buy those meats to specifically be
    used that day so I put them directly into a marinade when I get home.

  3. Jim Johnston

    Jim Johnston Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >

    >> 2. I've noticed that the McCormick "Grill Mates" Montreal Steak
    >> Seasoning has changed. It isn't as good and I have been adding
    >> crushed pepper and Garlic Powder to replace the missing taste. It
    >> almost tastes like what the Montreal Chicken Seasoning tastes like.

    > I feel your pain. Montreal Steak Spice is my favourite spice blend.
    > Sam's Club sells a "Canadian Steak Seasoning" made by Tone's. It used
    > to be called Montreal Steak Spice but they must have got their fingers
    > rapped. The Tone's blend is almost identical to the McCormick's. The
    > large 28 oz size may be a deterrant if you don't use a lot of it. The
    > price is quite reasonable at IIRC $4.99.

    The Tone's steak seasoning rocks! I have a small bottle of the
    McCormick and keep refilling it with the Tone's. Also, I use it as a
    general seasoning from scrambled eggs to tuna salads to cottage cheese.
    And you can't beat the price!