Sirrus Comp - Help and reviews for a begining rider.

Runner4Life

Aug 18, 2005
Alright guys, I am currently (or was) a runner and I logged about 20 miles a week just to keep in decent shape. Well recently I went to the doc where I was diagnosed with some foot stress fractures. So now I need to do something thats low impact for the foot but still good cardiovascular wise. Anyways Im looking into bikes and went to my local specialized bike dealer where he had mentioned the sirrus comp bike. He said the base one runs around 489 dollars. I will be doing a ton of riding with it and want something reliable and all. But I guess my question is....should I be spending that kind of cash considering I am a beginner. If so are there any other bikes available such as the one I mentioned for around that price? Or is that to overpriced for that bike and could I find it anywhere cheaper?

Thanks for all the input. -=MarK=-

It's probably not a Sirrus Comp, just a Sirrus - (with Sora rear derailleur) - and Specialized MRSP is $520 for that bike. I bought exactly that bike last year having taken up cycling two months earlier and haven't looked back (and in Ireland it cost the equivalent of $750) - Well worth it even at that price. I've clocked up 1800km on it and am about to take it out for a 70km spin this morning
One point is that over the next few weeks you might get deals on 05 models, so look around, but for me it was a great bike to get into cycling on.

Runner4Life said:
Alright guys, I am currently (or was) a runner and I logged about 20 miles a week just to keep in decent shape. Well recently I went to the doc where I was diagnosed with some foot stress fractures. So now I need to do something thats low impact for the foot but still good cardiovascular wise. Anyways Im looking into bikes and went to my local specialized bike dealer where he had mentioned the sirrus comp bike. He said the base one runs around 489 dollars. I will be doing a ton of riding with it and want something reliable and all. But I guess my question is....should I be spending that kind of cash considering I am a beginner. If so are there any other bikes available such as the one I mentioned for around that price? Or is that to overpriced for that bike and could I find it anywhere cheaper?-
I am in a similar situation. Runner, developed an achilles problem, and went back to cycling ( I rode for years and stopped due to location and other issues). I now regret I ever stopped!
Back to the topic. I went in search of a suitable bike and found my knowledge and taste kept me from purchasing a bike that I knew I would never be completely happy with. I decided to go the used bike route. I knew what components I wanted, frame size/material, etc. I was able to find a used bike that suited my wants and needs for less than half of what I would pay new. There's nothing worse than spending good money on a new bike only to wish that you "woulda-shoulda-coulda".Riding experience will take care of those questions for you.
Good luck and happy rides on your new decision.

Scott