SIS DT shift lever rebuild

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scoochiro, May 15, 2003.

  1. Scoochiro

    Scoochiro Guest

    I am a dyed-in-the-wool fan of Shimano indexing DT shift levers for
    6/7 speeds (such as the SL-6401).

    But, as they become scarcer than hen's teeth, I have an interest in learning how to rebuild the
    right shift lever (the left is a simple friction lever).

    Over time, I notice that the left lever is less precise than it used to be. I imagine that gunk has
    gotten into the detents, etc., thus accounting for the slop.

    Is there a special tool I need?

    (And, no, a set of brifters is not the solution to this problem.)

    Tags:

  2. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << I am a dyed-in-the-wool fan of Shimano indexing DT shift levers for
    6/7 speeds (such as the SL-6401). But, as they become scarcer than hen's teeth, I have an interest
    in learning how to rebuild the right shift lever (the left is a simple friction lever). Over time,
    I notice that the left lever is less precise than it used to be. I imagine that gunk has gotten
    into the detents, etc., thus accounting for the slop. Is there a special tool I need? (And, no, a
    set of brifters is not the solution to this problem.) >>

    When the detents in the SIS shifters wear out and break off as they eventually do, you may find that
    your derailleur will not stay in gear. You can still use the rear shifter in friction mode, or you
    must replace it. You can find used downtube shifters on eBay. I have a pair of Dura Ace 8sp on
    auction right now for $10 (item #3608219461).

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Scoochiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am a dyed-in-the-wool fan of Shimano indexing DT shift levers for
    > 6/7 speeds (such as the SL-6401).
    >
    > But, as they become scarcer than hen's teeth, I have an interest in learning how to rebuild the
    > right shift lever (the left is a simple friction lever).
    >
    > Over time, I notice that the left lever is less precise than it used to be. I imagine that gunk
    > has gotten into the detents, etc., thus accounting for the slop.
    >
    > Is there a special tool I need?
    >
    > (And, no, a set of brifters is not the solution to this problem.)

    Brand new SIS seven DT levers are plentiful at $19.95 the pair so why bother? I have never
    successfully repaired a broken one as the usual mode of failure is a crack in the extremely hard
    thin steel plates. YMMV.