SIS indexing compatibility

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by meb, May 9, 2005.

  1. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Can a Shimano 6 speed SIS cogset be indexed by a Suntour 6 speed shifter-derailuer system ?

    Can a Simplex Rder, be mated with any SIS shifters to index a SIS cogset (6 or 7 speed cogset)?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. meb wrote:

    > Can a Shimano 6 speed SIS cogset be indexed by a Suntour 6 speed
    > shifter-derailuer system ?

    Yes. Also, Sun Tour 6-speed indexed shifters magically turn into
    7-speeders if you install a Shimano rear derailer and a 7-speed cluuster.

    (The mismatch of speeds cancels out the mismatched derailer/shifter.)

    > Can a Simplex Rder, be mated with any SIS shifters to index a SIS
    > cogset (6 or 7 speed cogset)?

    I would imagine one of the later, high-end (all metal) Simplex rear
    derailers could probably be made to index with some SIS shifter, but
    probably an 8- or 9-speed unit for a 6-speed cluster. Older
    parallelogram derailers tended to use a shorter cable pull per gear than
    derailers intended for indexing.

    A Jtek ShiftMate could also be used. I couldn't tell you which one, it
    would require some measurements and/or a bit of trial and error to
    figure out how to make this work.

    Sheldon "Why?" Brown
    | If only God would give me some clear sign! |
    | Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss bank. |
    | --Woody Allen |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Dear Why:

    Bearings may be dying on the Suntour 6 speed freewheel. I have no desire to stick with Suntour with any potential wearout replacements. I would prefer 6 speed index vs. 7 speed friction, so I need decide what to replace the freewheel with if some oil doesn’t fix the bearing issue.

    I have an unambiguously bad set of fw bearings on a friction shifting Simplex rder equipped Peugeot. If indexing is workable with that rder, will go with it, else will either get a 7 speed freewheel or put my Nexus-4 wheelset on this bike. I have several spare 7 speed SIS shifters and will probably have some complete spare rders if I haven't finished canibalizing em (if I'm canibalizing rders, does that make me a rder?), so I might even replace the friction shifters with a 7 speed SIS system.

    Thanks