SIS power drink alternative

elyob

Guest
Anyone recommend a place I can buy an alternative to this stuff, it seems
quite expensive.

Thanks

elyob wrote:
> Anyone recommend a place I can buy an alternative to this stuff, it seems
> quite expensive.

Depends exactly what you're looking for, but if it's a bit of
energy and a bit of rehydration you can do a lot worse than a half
and half mix of oranje juice and water with a dash of salt (which
will cease to make it taste disgusting once you've sweated out some
salt and need some more).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> elyob wrote:
>> Anyone recommend a place I can buy an alternative to this stuff, it seems
>> quite expensive.

> Depends exactly what you're looking for, but if it's a bit of energy and a
> bit of rehydration you can do a lot worse than a half and half mix of
> oranje juice and water with a dash of salt (which will cease to make it
> taste disgusting once you've sweated out some salt and need some more).

I don't bother with the salt. I read somewhere that it doesn't make that
much difference.

-=V=-

Peter Clinch wrote on 11/04/2007 20:38 +0100:
> elyob wrote:
>> Anyone recommend a place I can buy an alternative to this stuff, it
>> seems quite expensive.

> Depends exactly what you're looking for, but if it's a bit of energy and
> a bit of rehydration you can do a lot worse than a half and half mix of
> oranje juice and water with a dash of salt (which will cease to make it
> taste disgusting once you've sweated out some salt and need some more).

My alternative is even more expensive than SIS - decant an Innocent
Banana Strawberry Smoothie into your waterbottle. Great energy drink
but you need another bottle with water to take care of hydration.

For a cheap energy drink though just buy some maltodextrin from a home
brew shop, mix with some fructose and water and flavour to taste. Its
the same stuff as the glucose polymers they put in the energy drinks.

Maltodextrin costs about £3/kg compared with about 3-4x that for SIS.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

vernon wrote:
> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> elyob wrote:
>>> Anyone recommend a place I can buy an alternative to this stuff, it seems
>>> quite expensive.

>> Depends exactly what you're looking for, but if it's a bit of energy and a
>> bit of rehydration you can do a lot worse than a half and half mix of
>> oranje juice and water with a dash of salt (which will cease to make it
>> taste disgusting once you've sweated out some salt and need some more).
>>

> I don't bother with the salt. I read somewhere that it doesn't make that
> much difference.

If you are someone like me, who sweats a lot, then you need to replenish
your salt. In the summer I deliberately increase my salt intake to
account for sweating.

A few years ago I kept getting dehydrated and despite drinking water,
felt weak and dizzy. It was only when I started adding salt to water and
food that I recovered.

Also bananas are a very good source of KCl, another salt lost in sweating.

Needless to say to much salt is also bad for you.

Martin.

Martin Dann wrote on 11/04/2007 23:11 +0100:

> If you are someone like me, who sweats a lot, then you need to replenish
> your salt. In the summer I deliberately increase my salt intake to
> account for sweating.
>
> A few years ago I kept getting dehydrated and despite drinking water,
> felt weak and dizzy. It was only when I started adding salt to water and
> food that I recovered.
>
> Also bananas are a very good source of KCl, another salt lost in sweating.

As you note though its more than sodium chloride that is lost in
sweating and you really need to replace both sodium and potassium salts,
not just sodium. A good isotonic drink is a good solution for days when
you will sweat a lot but the rest of the time you should get enough from
your food during and after riding.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

"vernon" <[email protected]>typed

> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > elyob wrote:
> >> Anyone recommend a place I can buy an alternative to this stuff, it
> >> seems
> >> quite expensive.

> > Depends exactly what you're looking for, but if it's a bit of energy
> > and a
> > bit of rehydration you can do a lot worse than a half and half mix of
> > oranje juice and water with a dash of salt (which will cease to make it
> > taste disgusting once you've sweated out some salt and need some more).
> >

> I don't bother with the salt. I read somewhere that it doesn't make that
> much difference.

Long Audax rides in summer do need salt, but this does not need to be in
drinks; it is tastier on Real Food™ or potato crisps.

There's also lots of sodium in milk, if you can tolerate it.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "vernon" <[email protected]>typed
>

>> "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> I don't bother with the salt. I read somewhere that it doesn't make that
>> much difference.

> Long Audax rides in summer do need salt, but this does not need to be in
> drinks; it is tastier on Real FoodT or potato crisps.
>
> There's also lots of sodium in milk, if you can tolerate it.

Looks like I've instinctively covered myself on most of my rides. I always
have bananas, sometimes eat crisps and on the hot sweaty rides in the summer
I find myself buying and drinking milk even though I don't normally drink
the stuff.

elyob wrote:
> Anyone recommend a place I can buy an alternative to this stuff, it seems
> quite expensive.

Try High5 Energy Source, or if you want to do it yourself, then use the
customiser on http://www.myprotein.co.uk/. Most energy drinks are a
combination of a couple of the following maltodextrin, dextrose,
fructose and/or waxy maize (corn) starch.

You could easily replicate things like High5 Energy Source 4:1 as
myprotein.co.uk have recently started doing powdered electrolytes,
which was about the only thing they didn't do.

If all you want is to keep your electrolytes topped up, then try Nuun
tablets. Just pop them into your water bottle and away you go.

http://www.nuun.com

Cheers,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,