Sit Bone Pain on only one side

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
So I've been through numerous saddles in the past year. I just got custom fit which has helped a lot but I'm still getting sit bone pain on my right side. My left side feels fine. My current saddle is a SMP Avant. Any suggestions? Why would it hurt on only one side?

Originally Posted by jwroubaix .

So I've been through numerous saddles in the past year. I just got custom fit which has helped a lot but I'm still getting sit bone pain on my right side. My left side feels fine. My current saddle is a SMP Avant. Any suggestions? Why would it hurt on only one side?
Lots of men suffer from rear-end discomfort.... on the side of their rear that they carry their wallet. If you carry a wallet on the same side where your having discomfort... maybe the saddle isn't the problem. Try moving your wallet.

Originally Posted by jwroubaix .

It is on the side of my wallet. May i ask why that makes a difference?
It is more likely that any damage being done [that would cause discomfort] to the area is being caused by the wallet.... instead of the saddle. Because the discomfort is only on the one side. Your saddle should be the same on both sides and provide an equal chance for discomfort to both sides of you seat area. The saddle may only be presenting a best case opportunity to feel the soreness caused by your wallet.

Long term discomfort should be discussed with your doctor of course.

It's possible that you've got one leg that's longer than another which is causing you to sit to one side of the saddle. It might be worth having an LBS fit person look at you in the saddle and watch your cadence from behind.

Originally Posted by alienator .

It's possible that you've got one leg that's longer than another which is causing you to sit to one side of the saddle. It might be worth having an LBS fit person look at you in the saddle and watch your cadence from behind.
The OP posted that he just had a fit. But... that that step already being done... and set aside. Unless the OP had polio or other problem he would most surly be aware of how would a mm [or two] difference even be measurable, noticeable, or in any way cause discomfort?

Say.... if there was a device [and there isn't] that could measure a 2 mm femur difference from one leg to the other... how would that cause sit bone pain?

If the problem isn't local [cause by already bruised tissue or bone in the area with pain]... the next likely place I'd look would be to cleats or shoes. But certainly not life long disfigurement.

Although.... any fall or injury can leave behind discomfort... often times long after the memory of the injury. Say you bump just one of your elbows today... and quickly dismiss and forget the injury. When you bicycle on Friday and feel elbow pain... will you adjust your handlebars? Will you wonder if your elbow pain may mean that arm is now longer than the other arm?

Other things to check:
  • Is your saddle straight w/ respect to the top tube?
  • Are you sitting straight on the saddle?
  • Are you sure your saddle is wide enough?
Each of those things can leave with asymmetric pain, and all have been found by riders. If those things check out, it might be worth getting refit as I mentioned above. Not all people doing fits do them well. Getting a second opinion from a different fitter can be worthwhile. Last, you'll also want to be sure that you've optimized the positioning of the SMP saddle. As has been noted quite a bit, SMP saddles can be a challenge to set up.

Originally Posted by alienator .
Is your saddle straight w/ respect to the top tube? Are you sitting straight on the saddle? Are you sure your saddle is wide enough?
Each of those things can leave with asymmetric pain, and all have been found by riders. If those things check out, it might be worth getting refit as I mentioned above. Not all people doing fits do them well. Getting a second opinion from a different fitter can be worthwhile.
This is your advice???? You think the person that fit the OP screwed up? Do you even know the fitter?

So... if you injure yourself and as a result feel discomfort when cycling... do YOU go get re-fit????

Look into a Moon Saddle. I bet it would look great on your bike and solve all your discomfort issues. After buying one your wallet may be a little lighter and it will cause you less pain.

davereo said:
Look into a Moon Saddle. I bet it would look great on your bike and solve all your discomfort issues. After buying one your wallet may be a little lighter and it will cause you less pain.
Should he go with the full moon, half-moon, or the dark side of the moon saddle?

I was have the same problem plus some numbness. I ended up trying an ISM Breakaway. Loved the saddle. Ended up buying it and haven't had any numbness since. Takes about 5 rides for you sit bones to get uses to it and break in. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk