site not working properly?

Discussion in 'Tell us what you think!' started by bryanquinn, Feb 25, 2004.

1. bryanquinn

bryanquinn New Member

I am no longer getting emails telling me that there has been a response to a posting that I have made.
    Also I am having to refresh pages when I click a hyper link to go to a new page.

Tags:

2. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

That doesnt seem right, when did you first notice this problem?

I'll check the mail logs for email sent to your address and get back to you in a sec.

cheers

3. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Ok going by our mail server logs, the last few emails sent to your address were sent on:

2004-02-23 - 16:37:31
    2004-02-24 - 00:45:53
    2004-02-24 - 04:34:23
    2004-02-24 - 12:07:36
    2004-02-24 - 17:18:46
    2004-02-26 - 12:14:56

The dates/times are GMT +10 (melbourne aust)

Could you please let me know if you received these?

cheers

4. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Just to add one other thing, if you use the quick reply box at the bottom of the thread you wont be subscribed to the thread you reply to.

cheers

5. bryanquinn

bryanquinn New Member

Steve,
    Thank you for your quick response. I didn't know about the quick reply box, that I'm sure is the problem. What about the hyper link problem? Clicking on them is often times bringing up a blank page for which I have to click refresh before I get the page to show.
    BQ

6. bryanquinn

bryanquinn New Member

Yes I received these links.

7. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi

I'm not sure about that one, does it happen with other websites or is it just this one?

cheers

8. bryanquinn

bryanquinn New Member

This is the only site I have that problem with. It started when your server came back up after the upgrades.

9. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

I just modified my settings yesterday to have the site STOP emailing me "by default"-- I still have it set to receive admin email, "community email"--whatever that is, and email notification about private messages. I just want it to stop emailing me about my subscribed threads because I sort of need to cut down on the distractions at work. But I am still getting emails. I *could* just unsubscribe to each thread as the emails come in, but that sort of defeats the purpose I think.

Help!

thanks.

- Maggie

10. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

You will have to do that because it only changes future subscriptions not past ones, but you can goto you CP and unsubscribe from forums/threads on the CP homepage.

11. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

oh! thanks! that explains why i'm NOT getting notified via email about updates like this one!

12. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

Ohoh. Clues revealing themselves....

I set the following to "no":

Use 'Email Notification' by default?
    Using this option emails you whenever someone replies to a thread that you have participated in.

Here's what I expect the user experience to be:

I hit the reply button on a thread and type my reply and post it. Or I explicitly subscribe to a thread by clicking the "subscribe to this thread" icon. By doing that I "subscribe" to the thread implicitly or explicitly. That means, updates to those threads show up in my User CP.

Here's what it seems to be doing:

When I turn ON email notification, clicking the reply button on a thread will automatically subscribe me to it (relieving me from the onerous step of clicking the "subscribe me..." icon) and THUS I get email notification on updates to that thread. But if I turn OFF email notification, it really means something like , "allow thread subscriptions"--and subscriptions inherently mean I get email notification. Which means if I click on the "subscribe me..." icon, I'll get email notifications about updates to that thread.

Is that how it's supposed to work?

13. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not quite following you, but if you turn notfications off today you'll still get notified for thread updates you were subscribed to in the past UNLESS you manually unsubscribe from them. As far as I know turning notifications off will only effect future threads you post to.

Go here: http://www.cyclingforums.com/usercp.php and hit unsubsribe on each thread/forum your subscribed to :D

cheers

14. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

Ok. The gist is this:

I thought there was a difference between what I'm subscribed to and whether or not I get email notification. But as it turns out, I get email notifications only if I am subscribed to a thread, and only subscribed thread updates show up in my User CP.

I manually subscribed to this thread after my last posting to see if that was the case.

Intuitively, I would have thought that I could subscribe to a thread and come back to the forum weekly to check updates to those subscribed threads without getting email notification during the week.

It's not a crisis. I have a pretty good email system and I can just set it up to dump all email coming from cyclingforums, but still subscribe automatically so I can come back and view the updated threads that I'm interested in.

15. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point, i'm going to try an upgrade today or tomorrow (for the 4th time). So can you please put up with this until then? If you want we can setup an @cyclingforums.com email addy and send the email there, it'll only take a minute or so to do?

cheers

16. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

Sure thing. I'm easy. Just wanted to make sure what I was experiencing was what was supposed to happen.

Don't bother with the email thing... If my bosses start getting on my case, i'll just autofilter the email out myself to a local folder to get it off the exchange server.

17. Aushiker

Aushiker New Member

Hi Sorry to drag up an old thread, but basically I am getting the same issue and that is I am not receiving notification emails. I have checked my settings within the forum and all looks good. Also check my spam folders but nothing there. I have my subscriptions (posts and forums) set to daily digest. Any suggestions? Thanks Andrew