Six Six One pad coments

Dave

Guest
Smacked my knee tonight riding on snow and wet leaves here in the Boston area. Slipped and stalled
on a uphill and toppled over onto a sharp rock. Most of my falls are that type, a low speed flop
over. I'm thinking about a set of pads, I want easy on/off, light weight. I don't think I need DH
armor stuff.

What's the scoop on these?

661 2x4 - Forearm Elbow Pads @ $25

661 4x4 - Knee and Shin Pads @ $35

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Smacked my knee tonight riding on snow and wet leaves here in the Boston area. Slipped and stalled
> on a uphill and toppled over onto a sharp rock. Most of my falls are that type, a low speed flop
> over. I'm thinking about a set of pads, I want easy on/off, light weight. I don't think I need DH
> armor stuff.
>
> What's the scoop on these?
>
> 661 2x4 - Forearm Elbow Pads @ $25
>
> 661 4x4 - Knee and Shin Pads @ $35

let's get this out of the way first: you're a weenie if you wear armor.

That being said I've got the 4x4's and I really like them. Easy on/off, not too heavy, and they
stuff into my camelbak pack really nice. I usually only put them on for the super technical gnarly
stuff. They've saved skin on my granny legs a few times.

I wear a Fox pull on for my elbows, can't comment on that.

Penny S

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Smacked my knee tonight riding on snow and wet leaves here in the Boston area. Slipped and stalled
> on a uphill and toppled over onto a sharp rock. Most of my falls are that type, a low speed flop
> over. I'm thinking about a set of pads, I want easy on/off, light weight. I don't think I need DH
> armor stuff.
>
> What's the scoop on these?
>
> 661 2x4 - Forearm Elbow Pads @ $25
>
> 661 4x4 - Knee and Shin Pads @ $35
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...

In spite of my friend Mike's comment (good enough....sheesh), I've been using those pads for 1.5 DH
seasons and have crashed very hard in them. They are excellent pads and very comfortable, but they
can get very warm on hot days 80deg +. They also pedal well due to the soft shell. I've also worn
them on some XC rides, but not so much now because I'm a bad ass XC rider.

The arms slip on/off very easy, but the legs are double velcro and full wrap, so they will be more
of a chore. Extra +, as penny mentioned, they will strap to a back very well because they are so
pliable. The clean up and hold up well in the washing machine too. FWIW, highly recommended.

--
Slacker ** SS(s) are bad for your health.....remember Bill Wheeler

In article <[email protected]>, Dave wrote:
> Smacked my knee tonight riding on snow and wet leaves here in the Boston area. Slipped and stalled
> on a uphill and toppled over onto a sharp rock. Most of my falls are that type, a low speed flop
> over. I'm thinking about a set of pads, I want easy on/off, light weight. I don't think I need DH
> armor stuff.

> 661 2x4 - Forearm Elbow Pads @ $25
>
> 661 4x4 - Knee and Shin Pads @ $35

When I went on my LBS trip to Fernie last year, everyone was wearing the 661 pads. It was pretty
warm out, but nobody minded having the armour on. It's warmer, to be sure, but it's good stuff to
have when riding downhill.

Everyone that I talked to really seemed to like them. They also looked like they stayed in place a
bit better than my older Core Rat stuff.

I'm planning on getting a set for this year's Fernie trip, and see if one of my friends wants the
old pads. If you want stuff that's pretty light and easy on-off, both 661 and Core Rat are good, but
I suspect that the 661 stuff is more available.

JS

--
========================= [email protected] ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

Hi there,

I prefer the Fox armor, but try on all types at your local store. Also get the pads with the Velcro
straps, not the pull-on sleeves, cause you can strap them on correctly and prevent slippage.

Peace, Dan

penny s wrote:

let's get this out of the way first: you're a weenie if you wear armor.

snip ----

Thanks for the feedback. This weenie's got the 661's on order. Watch, now I'll faceplant !! ;-)

DTW .../\.../\.../\... Dave the weenie?

Dave wrote:> Smacked my knee tonight riding on snow and wet leaves here in the Boston
> area. Slipped and stalled on a uphill and toppled over onto a sharp rock. Most of my falls are
> that type, a low speed flop over. I'm thinking about a set of pads, I want easy on/off, light
> weight. I don't think I need DH armor stuff.
>
> What's the scoop on these?
>
> 661 2x4 - Forearm Elbow Pads @ $25
>
> 661 4x4 - Knee and Shin Pads @ $35
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've been riding the shin pads for a full season and really like them. They are hot but you don't
really notice it til you take them off and the fresh air hits your legs.

Dave wrote:
> Smacked my knee tonight riding on snow and wet leaves here in the Boston area. Slipped and stalled
> on a uphill and toppled over onto a sharp rock. Most of my falls are that type, a low speed flop
> over. I'm thinking about a set of pads, I want easy on/off, light weight. I don't think I need DH
> armor stuff.
>
> What's the scoop on these?
>
> 661 2x4 - Forearm Elbow Pads @ $25
>
> 661 4x4 - Knee and Shin Pads @ $35
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've got a set of the 4x4 guards as well.

They're great for slow, technical rides, but if its mostly an XC ride (granted, my normal home XC
course has lots of big (up to 2.5') log hops, 2' drop offs, roots, pointy rock gardens, and the
ocassional log ride....), I don't wear them. If I'm going to be trying something new, or pushing
my limits a little bit, or riding in an area I know could fsck me up pretty easily, then I'll
throw 'em on.

They're pretty comfortable, but if you're pedalling for more than an hour or so they can start to
irritate the back of your knee. however, they're pretty easy to adjust if that starts happening, so
its no big deal.

I'd definitely recommend the 4x4s!

Jon "Commander" Bond

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:02:57 +0000, Dave wrote:

> Smacked my knee tonight riding on snow and wet leaves here in the Boston area. Slipped and stalled
> on a uphill and toppled over onto a sharp rock. Most of my falls are that type, a low speed flop
> over. I'm thinking about a set of pads, I want easy on/off, light weight. I don't think I need DH
> armor stuff.
>
> What's the scoop on these?
>
> 661 2x4 - Forearm Elbow Pads @ $25
>
> 661 4x4 - Knee and Shin Pads @ $35
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I have exactly these pads and would NOT recommend them.. they are very comfortable but the top
velcro tabs on 3 out of 4 of them have torn off, leaving the tops flopping about as I ride. Very
distracting. The first one tore as I was putting them on for the second time. Possibly I have some
from a bad batch.

On the knee pads, the top tabs don't matter too much as there are 2 good wide velcro straps that go
round your calf muscles and keep the pad from slipping, but on the elbow pads, this leaves just one
wide strap holding it and it slips down my arm on the downhills.

Sam.

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:56:49 +0000, Slacker did issue forth:

> also worn them on some XC rides, but not so much now because I'm a bad ass XC rider.

I've ridden with a few bad ass XC riders. After a good number of beers and a curry afterwards to top
it all off, some of them can stink out fairly large areas of woodland.

--
Huw Pritchard | Replace bounce with huw | to reply by mail | www.secretworldgovernment.org

"2trax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:02:57 +0000, Dave wrote:
>
> > Smacked my knee tonight riding on snow and wet leaves here in the Boston area. Slipped and
> > stalled on a uphill and toppled over onto a sharp rock. Most of my falls are that type, a low
> > speed flop over. I'm thinking about a set of pads, I want easy on/off, light weight. I don't
> > think I need DH armor stuff.
> >
> > What's the scoop on these?
> >
> > 661 2x4 - Forearm Elbow Pads @ $25
> >
> > 661 4x4 - Knee and Shin Pads @ $35
> >
> > --
> > DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>
> I have exactly these pads and would NOT recommend them.. they are very comfortable but the top
> velcro tabs on 3 out of 4 of them have torn off, leaving the tops flopping about as I ride. Very
> distracting. The first one tore as I was putting them on for the second time. Possibly I have some
> from a bad batch.

so call the company and see if you can return them for repair/replacement. Or have a qualified
repair person ( or your mom) sew them back on. Duct tape works in a pinch too.

> On the knee pads, the top tabs don't matter too much as there are 2 good wide velcro straps that
> go round your calf muscles and keep the pad from slipping, but on the elbow pads, this leaves just
> one wide strap holding it and it slips down my arm on the downhills.
>
> Sam.

Penny S

--
Specialty Outdoors Modification & Repair of Outdoor Gear & Clothing Factory Authorized by The North
Face www.specialtyoutdoors.com/whatis.htm

> On the knee pads, the top tabs don't matter too much as there are 2 good wide velcro straps that
> go round your calf muscles and keep the pad from slipping, but on the elbow pads, this leaves just
> one wide strap holding it and it slips down my arm on the downhills.

Rector Fat Boys.

If you mean badass in that then I am one also. Whoowheee!

Tim

"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:56:49 +0000, Slacker did issue forth:
>
> > also worn them on some XC rides, but not so much now because I'm a bad ass XC rider.
>
> I've ridden with a few bad ass XC riders. After a good number of beers and a curry afterwards to
> top it all off, some of them can stink out fairly large areas of woodland.

Where do I get the feeling that was aimed at me......

Andy "Chicken Jalfrezi, Pilau Rice, Keema Naaan and a pint of Best please" Chequer

Tim Burgher <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you mean badass in that then I am one also. Whoowheee!
>
> Tim

Oy, Tim ya silly Burgher! - If ya wanna keep yer 'one of the smarter' title wot I did bestow upon
ye, try quoting some of the message you are replying to (so we know WTF yer on about and who yer
talking to), and put yer reply below it (bottom posting), there's a good chap! ',;~}

Cheers!

Shaun aRe - HTH.

Andy Chequer wrote:

>>I've ridden with a few bad ass XC riders. After a good number of beers and a curry afterwards to
>>top it all off, some of them can stink out fairly large areas of woodland.
>

> Where do I get the feeling that was aimed at me......

Because you smell.

> Andy "Chicken Jalfrezi, Pilau Rice, Keema Naaan and a pint of Best please" Chequer

*****. I'll have a chicken vindaloo, pilau rice, a garlic naan and seven pints of Kingfisher.

bomba - drunk. Again.

> Andy Chequer wrote:
>
> >>I've ridden with a few bad ass XC riders. After a good number of beers and a curry afterwards to
> >>top it all off, some of them can stink out fairly large areas of woodland.
> >

> > Where do I get the feeling that was aimed at me......
>
> Because you smell.
>
> > Andy "Chicken Jalfrezi, Pilau Rice, Keema Naaan and a pint of Best
please"
> > Chequer
>
> *****. I'll have a chicken vindaloo, pilau rice, a garlic naan and seven pints of Kingfisher.
>
> bomba - drunk. Again.

that explains it.

bomba wrote:
> Andy Chequer wrote:
>
>>> I've ridden with a few bad ass XC riders. After a good number of beers and a curry afterwards to
>>> top it all off, some of them can stink out fairly large areas of woodland.
>>

>> Where do I get the feeling that was aimed at me......
>

> Because you smell.
>
>> Andy "Chicken Jalfrezi, Pilau Rice, Keema Naaan and a pint of Best please" Chequer
>

> *****. I'll have a chicken vindaloo, pilau rice, a garlic naan and seven pints of Kingfisher.

Oh, yeah, bring me garlic naan every 5 minuites while I wolf down my chicken vindaloo.

Greg

--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

penny s wrote:

>>*****. I'll have a chicken vindaloo, pilau rice, a garlic naan and seven pints of Kingfisher.
>>
>>bomba - drunk. Again.
>

> that explains it.

Explains what? Company Xmas party - the weirdest things I've ever seen...

> penny s wrote:
>

> >>*****. I'll have a chicken vindaloo, pilau rice, a garlic naan and seven pints of Kingfisher.
> >>
> >>bomba - drunk. Again.
> >

> > that explains it.
>
> Explains what? Company Xmas party - the weirdest things I've ever seen...

do tell... it can't be more OT than half the drivel on this ng...