size??? please help

littlemonkey

Jan 16, 2005
Hello, I'm totally new to cycling but have recently started competing in triathlons but on a (somewhat heavy) mountain bike. I now want to buy a road bike but would like some advice with the size. I am female, 5 foot 3 and have a 28.5 inch inside leg, and need some help because i am currently living in Switzerland and my German is less than adequate for walking into a shop and trusting the salesman.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated :)

HI - you can try to do self measurement, its simple and the steps are straightforward. If you follow this, you will definitely have a better ride.

http://bikesoul.com/framedivision.html

this site has step by step measuring tool

littlemonkey said:
Hello, I'm totally new to cycling but have recently started competing in triathlons but on a (somewhat heavy) mountain bike. I now want to buy a road bike but would like some advice with the size. I am female, 5 foot 3 and have a 28.5 inch inside leg, and need some help because i am currently living in Switzerland and my German is less than adequate for walking into a shop and trusting the salesman.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated :)

A lot of what you are asking boils down to personal preferance. Do you want to get aoredynamically low? Do you like your arms extended? They make stems with different extension (front to back) lengths. Most LBSs don't mind swapping them. Seats go foward and back a good ways. Try several different sizes and shapes. Also remember you will be getting on and off the bike in a hurry. Go with what feels best.
Good Luck