Size, size, size - Will it fit??

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Sando, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Sando

Sando New Member

Hi all

Can you please tell me if this is the correct size?

I'm about to buy a Giant TCR C1 road bike. Its size is 55.5cm and I'm (just under) 6 foot 1 inch...

Does this sound right?

Thanks

Tags:

2. zzrman

zzrman New Member

Sounds as if it might be a size too small. As a rough guide I'm 5' 11" and fit a 56cm frame.

3. DesFlurane

DesFlurane New Member

Yes.
    I have the same size Giant and am 6' 2".
    Feel mines is just a touch small, but YMMV.

4. 11ring

11ring New Member

Giants are compact frames, so the sizes are big for their nominal size.

5. RickF

RickF New Member

Height is not enough information to determine the correct frame size. There are many things, including leg length, arm length, torso length, flexibility, riding style, etc, that go into determining the correct frame size.

I am 6'0", but have only a 30" inseam and 33" sleeves. I ride a 56cm Specialized Roubaix Elite. My bike would probably not fit a 6'0" person with a 34" inseam and 36" sleeves.

6. PearlJamFan

PearlJamFan New Member

As 11ring says, the Giants are Compact frames - I am 5' 9" and ride a Giant OCR3 50cm which fits perfectly. I think on a standard road bike I'd be a 56cm but a 56 Giant would be waaaayyy too big for me.

7. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

8. kokomo61

kokomo61 New Member

I'm 5'9", and I can stand over a 56" conventional frame bike, but there seemed to be a bit more safety in a 54".....since I'm probably looking at a frame with a more 'relaxed' geometry (Specialized Roubaix, Trek Pilot, Cannondale Synapse), should I be leaning more towards the 53-54cm range?

9. guppie

guppie New Member

Specialized has the same compact frames right? I'm 6'1" with a 32.5 inseam. I am looking at a 56cm Allez. Is that the right size to start with? I know tweaks can be made to perfect the fit, but will I be 'forcing' the 56cm to fit me. Would it be better to start at a 58cm and make the necessary tweaks from there?

10. RickF

RickF New Member

It is easier to tweak a frame that is slightly too small than it is to tweak one that is slightly too large. You probably are right on the border between a 56 and a 58. I am 6'0" with a 30" inseam, and I ride a 56 cm Specialized Roubaix. I did have to replace the standard 120 mm stem with a 110 mm stem. If I went with a 58 cm frame, I would have needed a 90 mm stem, and that would make the bike pretty twitchy. You probably could make either size work equally well for you. There is nothing like a good session with an experienced fitter and a few test rides, though, to be sure.

11. guppie

guppie New Member

I stopped in my bike shop and they did a quick test to see what base size I would be. It came out to a 58 but he thought I had slightly longer legs so I would probable be more comfy on the 56. Basically said I was right in the middle.

It's $150 for a two hour professional fit. I think I'll just do that.