sizing........

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by *Jeb4*, Apr 20, 2003.

  1. *Jeb4*

    *Jeb4* Guest

    Generally speaking, if I take a 54cm frame for a road bike....would I take a "medium" framed mtb?
    I'm considering a used bike, but am a little new to mtb's.

    TIA

    John

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "*jeb4*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Generally speaking, if I take a 54cm frame for a road bike....would I take a "medium" framed mtb?
    > I'm considering a used bike, but am a little new to mtb's.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > John

    Because a lot of MTB's have sloping TT's and funky geometry, you can't really compare with the
    roadie standard. Different manufacturers will vary.....a small Norco may fit, but you might need a
    medium Specialized. The best thing to do is find that bike a LBS, even if it's the wrong size, and
    try it out. You can at least eliminate the sizes that don't fit.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "*jeb4*" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Generally speaking, if I take a 54cm frame for a road bike....would I take a "medium" framed mtb?
    >I'm considering a used bike, but am a little new to mtb's.

    Like Slacker said, there are too many variables (and not nearly enough constants) to be able to
    answer that question with any certainty.

    For a single (though blind) data point, most riders who would fit well on a Habanero 54cm
    center-to-top, non-compact frame would end up on a 15" Habanero center-to-top MTB frame. The real
    question is what cockpit length (effective top tube plus stem) you need, and which frames meet that
    need while providing 'nad clearance for the riding you'll be doing.