Skewed iron recommendations / FDA / WHO / Unicef

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jan 1, 2006.

  1. This is a government site .. and the snip below uses this population as
    THE marker to .. assess .. iron .. deficiency ..

    Anyone see something .. odd .. ?

    http://www.4woman.gov/pub/steps/Nutrition.htm

    <<snip>>
    the proportion of American Indian/Alaska females with anemia was 31
    percent, compared to 26 percent of Asian/Pacific Islander females.
    <<snip>>

    American Indians / Alaska females .. ?

    "Is your husband a Native ...?" .. he asks ..

    "No .. why do you ask .. " .. the mother inquires.

    "Because he has such a nice high iron level .. we thought he was native
    ... " .. the doctor answered.

    Asian / Pacific Islander .. females .. ?

    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=23546

    'Surprising' findings reported about iron overload
    Asians, Pacific Islanders have highest blood iron levels
    BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - UAB and international scientists studying
    iron-overload disorders have made the unexpected discovery that Asians
    and Pacific Islanders have the highest levels of iron in their blood of

    all racial/ethnic groups who were screened.

    Just found to be the HIGHEST IN THE FRIGGIN WORLD FOR IRON LEVELS /
    stores ..

    And THEY are .. 31% .. iron DEFICIENT .. according to these ..
    researchers ..?

    Researchers .. ?

    The whooooooollllle .. iron fortification program of our foods are
    BASED on this .. information above.

    ALL of it ..

    Hmmmmmm..

    That would make me .. right ..

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

    Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

    DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This is a government site .. and the snip below uses this population as
    > THE marker to .. assess .. iron .. deficiency ..
    >
    > Anyone see something .. odd .. ?
    >
    > http://www.4woman.gov/pub/steps/Nutrition.htm
    >
    > <<snip>>
    > the proportion of American Indian/Alaska females with anemia was 31
    > percent, compared to 26 percent of Asian/Pacific Islander females.
    > <<snip>>

    From the same article:

    For nonpregnant American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian/Pacific Islander,
    Hispanic, and non-Hispanic females aged 12 to 49 years, iron deficiency data
    were statistically unreliable or not collected in 1988-1994.

  3. The following study shows clearly .. due to previous studies which left
    isotopes in the study group .. 1.46 mg/d for males and 1.15 mg/d for
    females to be the loss / required intake for a growing adolescent.

    This is about 5-10 times less than what is currently recommended .. ?

    Recommended Dietary Allowances for Iron for Infants (7 to 12 months),
    Children, and Adults
    Ages Male (mg) Female (mg)
    9-13 years 8 8
    14-18 years 11 15

    <<snip>>
    the requirement for absorbed iron was estimated to be 1.46 mg/d for
    males and 1.15 mg/d for females.
    <<snip>>

    Which seems even at the low of 8 to be MUCH higher than required .. ?

    http://www.beefinfo.org/bh_iron.cfm

    And since a growing adolescent is the SAME .. basically .. as an adult
    in REQUIRED iron .. according to the same .. researchers .. then one
    might .. presume .. the calculations for REQUIRED iron in an adult ..
    may ALSO .. be .. skewed / wrong .. ?

    Inevitable iron loss by human adolescents, with calculations of the
    requirement for absorbed iron.

    Fomon SJ, Drulis JM, Nelson SE, Serfass RE, Woodhead JC, Ziegler EE
    Department of Pediatrics, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA and.
    Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, University of
    Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX.

    [Medline record in process]

    In growing individuals, the requirement for absorbed iron consists of
    iron needed for growth and iron needed to replace inevitable iron loss.
    We were able to estimate inevitable iron loss by adolescents because
    total body iron of the adolescents had been enriched with the stable
    isotope, (58)Fe, as the result of earlier studies of iron absorption.
    During an interval beginning at least 1.56 y after isotope
    administration (a time sufficient for complete mixing of the isotope
    with total body iron) and extending for no less than 3.29 y, we
    determined the isotopic enrichment of circulating iron. On the basis of
    several assumptions, we calculated total body (58)Fe and total body
    iron at the beginning and end of the interval. Because of complete
    mixing of the isotope with total body iron, fractional total (58)Fe
    loss was the same as fractional loss of total iron. In males, the
    fractional loss of iron was 9.70%/y and the quantitative loss was 256
    mg/y or 0.70 mg/d. In females, the fractional loss of iron was 14.60%/y
    and the quantitative loss was 306 mg/y or 0.84 mg/d. Using several
    assumptions, we then calculated that the iron requirement for growth
    during this interval was 0.76 mg/d for males and 0.31 mg/d for females.
    Adding the iron loss to the iron requirement for growth, the
    requirement for absorbed iron was estimated to be 1.46 mg/d for males
    and 1.15 mg/d for females.

    PMID: 12514285, UI: 22401955

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

    Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

    DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  4. This intake in an adolescent .. 1.46 mg/d for males and 1.15 mg/d for
    females .. would be considered to be ? .. in relation to THESE ..
    markers .. ?

    10 ppm iron (iron restricted) or 200 ppm iron (standard/high
    iron)

    Would if one were to go by the NOW shown DECREASE in .. NEEDED iron ..
    bring the adolescents DOWN into the degree of iron restriction required
    to .. prevent / impede hookworm infection .. ?
    ..

    Infect Immun. 2006 Jan;74(1):289-95. Related Articles, Links

    Dietary iron content mediates hookworm pathogenesis in vivo.

    Held MR, Bungiro RD, Harrison LM, Hamza I, Cappello M.

    Program in International Child Health, Department of Pediatrics, Yale
    University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520.
    [email protected]

    Hookworm infection is associated with growth delay and iron deficiency
    anemia in developing countries. A series of experiments were designed
    in order to test the hypothesis that host dietary iron restriction
    mediates susceptibility to hookworm infection using the hamster model
    of Ancylostoma ceylanicum. Animals were maintained on diets containing
    either 10 ppm iron (iron restricted) or 200 ppm iron (standard/high
    iron), followed by infection with A. ceylanicum third-stage larvae.
    Infected animals fed the standard diet exhibited statistically
    significant growth delay and reduced blood hemoglobin levels compared
    to uninfected controls on day 20 postinfection. In contrast, no
    statistically significant differences in weight or hemoglobin
    concentration were observed between infected and uninfected animals fed

    the iron-restricted diet. Moreover, iron-restricted animals were
    observed to have reduced intestinal worm burdens on day 10 and day 20
    postinfection compared to those of animals maintained on the
    standard/high-iron diet. In a subsequent study, animals equilibrated on

    diets containing a range of iron levels (10 ppm, 40 ppm, 100 ppm, or
    200 ppm) were infected with A. ceylanicum and followed for evidence of
    hookworm disease. Infected animals from the intermediate-dietary iron
    (40- and 100-ppm) groups exhibited greater weight loss and anemia than
    those in the low (10-ppm)- or high (200-ppm)-iron diet groups.
    Mortality was also significantly higher in the
    intermediate-dietary-iron groups. These data suggest that severe
    dietary iron restriction impairs hookworm development in vivo but that
    moderate iron restriction enhances host susceptibility to severe
    disease.

    PMID: 16368983 [PubMed - in process]