Skewers and Spokes For New Phil Wood Road Wheels?

Steve Sr.

Guest
Hello,

I am working on building up a set of durable road wheels around 32
hole Phil Wood road hubs. Based on recommendations from this group the
rims will be Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead OC for the rear.

That leaves skewers and spokes. I have never had to buy just skewers
before. I would like some skewers that complement the hubs with
hardware that won't rust.

For spokes I am looking for recommendations on gauge, type, and
manufacturer. BTW, I weigh 155Lbs if this matters . I have noticed
that the flanges on the hubs appear considerably thicker than other
hubs I have seen. This may affect the choices of spokes as well.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Sr. wrote:
> I am working on building up a set of durable road wheels around 32
> hole Phil Wood road hubs. Based on recommendations from this group the
> rims will be Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead OC for the rear.
>
> That leaves skewers and spokes. I have never had to buy just skewers
> before. I would like some skewers that complement the hubs with
> hardware that won't rust.
>
> For spokes I am looking for recommendations on gauge, type, and
> manufacturer. BTW, I weigh 155Lbs if this matters . I have noticed
> that the flanges on the hubs appear considerably thicker than other
> hubs I have seen. This may affect the choices of spokes as well.

Phil drills for 14g; use 14-16 or if unavailable 14-15 butted stainless
spokes with hard brass plated nipples.

If you have vertical ends and it's not offroad or disc, perhaps a modern
light open cam skewer may possibly be adequate. I'd use real steel
skewers and not worry. A drop of oil inside the cam every 5 or 10 years
should keep them running well.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Sep 25, 5:35 pm, Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on building up a set of durable road wheels around 32
> hole Phil Wood road hubs. Based on recommendations from this group the
> rims will be Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead OC for the rear.
>
> That leaves skewers and spokes. I have never had to buy just skewers
> before. I would like some skewers that complement the hubs with
> hardware that won't rust.
>
> For spokes I am looking for recommendations on gauge, type, and
> manufacturer. BTW, I weigh 155Lbs if this matters . I have noticed
> that the flanges on the hubs appear considerably thicker than other
> hubs I have seen. This may affect the choices of spokes as well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

14/15 spokes,either DT or Sapim laced 3 cross if 32 or 36 hole..2
cross if 28h. Skewers? Any steel skewer will work fine.

On Sep 26, 2:35 am, Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on building up a set of durable road wheels around 32
> hole Phil Wood road hubs. Based on recommendations from this group the
> rims will be Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead OC for the rear.
>
> That leaves skewers and spokes. I have never had to buy just skewers
> before. I would like some skewers that complement the hubs with
> hardware that won't rust.
>
> For spokes I am looking for recommendations on gauge, type, and
> manufacturer. BTW, I weigh 155Lbs if this matters . I have noticed
> that the flanges on the hubs appear considerably thicker than other
> hubs I have seen. This may affect the choices of spokes as well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Not cheap, but then the Phil's weren't either so how about Tune AC14?

Joseph

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:56:09 -0000, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sep 26, 2:35 am, Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am working on building up a set of durable road wheels around 32
>> hole Phil Wood road hubs. Based on recommendations from this group the
>> rims will be Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead OC for the rear.
>>
>> That leaves skewers and spokes. I have never had to buy just skewers
>> before. I would like some skewers that complement the hubs with
>> hardware that won't rust.
>>
>> For spokes I am looking for recommendations on gauge, type, and
>> manufacturer. BTW, I weigh 155Lbs if this matters . I have noticed
>> that the flanges on the hubs appear considerably thicker than other
>> hubs I have seen. This may affect the choices of spokes as well.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve

>Not cheap, but then the Phil's weren't either

Actually about 50% off list on Ebay and they are brand new.

> so how about Tune AC14?

What is Tune AC14? Description? Web site?

Steve

On Sep 27, 3:55 am, Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:56:09 -0000, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Sep 26, 2:35 am, Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Hello,

> >> I am working on building up a set of durable road wheels around 32
> >> hole Phil Wood road hubs. Based on recommendations from this group the
> >> rims will be Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead OC for the rear.

> >> That leaves skewers and spokes. I have never had to buy just skewers
> >> before. I would like some skewers that complement the hubs with
> >> hardware that won't rust.

> >> For spokes I am looking for recommendations on gauge, type, and
> >> manufacturer. BTW, I weigh 155Lbs if this matters . I have noticed
> >> that the flanges on the hubs appear considerably thicker than other
> >> hubs I have seen. This may affect the choices of spokes as well.

> >> Thanks,

> >> Steve

> >Not cheap, but then the Phil's weren't either

> Actually about 50% off list on Ebay and they are brand new.
>
> > so how about Tune AC14?

> What is Tune AC14? Description? Web site?
>
> Steve

Lightweight titanium available in several colors. 49g per pair.

http://www.tune.de/tune_gb/index.php?lang=gb&ebene=3&typ=2&nr=9

Joseph

On Sep 27, 1:03 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 3:55 am, Steve Sr. <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:56:09 -0000, "[email protected]"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >Not cheap, but then the Phil's weren't either

> > Actually about 50% off list on Ebay and they are brand new.

> > > so how about Tune AC14?

> > What is Tune AC14? Description? Web site?

> > Steve

> Lightweight titanium available in several colors. 49g per pair.
>
> http://www.tune.de/tune_gb/index.php?lang=gb&ebene=3&typ=2&nr=9
>
> Joseph

We got these at the request of a customer..but I wouldn't bet MY teeth
on them..light, but pretty unsubstantial feeling.