ski helmet?

yes i suspected aerodynamics was the grounds for the new design,

Dave, I've become really interested in Giro's air attack. For road racing it seems like a great bit of kit, I'm really curious to see how it and my Las Chrono tt helmet compare on the tt rig. On my current tt bike training in a road helmet I often feel as though I'm in a faster position, when I get that long tailed aero lid on I seem to have to lift my head to lower the tail. It is faster in the aero lid but I wonder if a slick 'road' helmet wouldn't make my system faster still.

Originally Posted by maydog .

This is how I gear up when the temps go to the single digits and below:
Boba Fett called, he wants his gear back /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

" just doesn't look that cold."

It wasn't. The temperature at start time and thru the race was right around freezing with some light snow flurries.

That's a world of difference from a Minn. winter day when the temp 'climbs' to -10°!

As other replies have said, that seems to be overkill. I would just get a normal cycling helmet. What I do is block off vents with cloth during the winter but still leave a few open for ventilation so I don't sweat too much. Works very well IMO.

Hello Dave,
will Appreciate your opinion on the following with regard to the Giro-Air-Attack shield

If you've been usung it already, pretty good ?
Any idea why they discontinue the White/silver one
Can you estimate how larger (the outside) the L comparing to the M (i'm 59cm.. not sure what to take - L is safer but if it's too big outside I'll hate it.. :)

Thanks a lot !

Originally Posted by pickeringcm .

hehe..I just bought a bicycle. im hoping not to use a helmet. don't go fast enough :)
Actually when a helmet has the potential to do the most good. Slow direct hits without a lot of other force vectors to dissipate impact is when the brain gets slammed into the skull. By design, bike/ski/skate helmets are for reducing concussions and must only pass low-speed impact equivalency tests.

It's a numbers game. :) If you want to ride with groups/events; however, it is becoming almost mandatory to wear a skull cap.

Have fun - be safe.

it really shows the cycling community is truly universal spanning countries. New England, USA, eh . As they say, the world is a global village.

well ive come from motor scooters. so I doubt cycling helmets that bad both in appearance and comfort :)

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I'm not really one to talk ... generally follow your lead when skiing and don't wear a helmet unless competing or instructing for an adaptive organization. Unprotected heads definitely makes everyone uncomfortable in that environment.

I started cycling without one, but it became such a PITA that I gave in and bought a helmet with so many freakin holes that I trust it to do nothing for me. Makes my ride buddies happy and I don't have to overheat. Win - win.

Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths in this village some day. Happy cycling.

Reactions: pickeringcm
Originally Posted by pickeringcm .

it really shows the cycling community is truly universal spanning countries. New England, USA, eh . As they say, the world is a global village.

well ive come from motor scooters. so I doubt cycling helmets that bad both in appearance and comfort :)
Originally Posted by sitzmark .

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I'm not really one to talk ... generally follow your lead when skiing and don't wear a helmet unless competing or instructing for an adaptive organization. Unprotected heads definitely makes everyone uncomfortable in that environment.

I started cycling without one, but it became such a PITA that I gave in and bought a helmet with so many freakin holes that I trust it to do nothing for me. Makes my ride buddies happy and I don't have to overheat. Win - win.

Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths in this village some day. Happy cycling.
well, i've not really decided yet but yes you are right, I am indeed leaning towards a cycling helmet. (1928 uk time)-----was deciding what to put and left 1928 whilst I googled helmets

this just posted when I left it in edit mode for the quotes and deciding what to add ..time 1945 uk time ...meant to add, helmets aren't that prevelant in the States r they?

pickeringcm said:
this just posted when I left it in edit mode for the quotes and deciding what to add ..time 1945 uk time ...meant to add, helmets aren't that prevelant in the States r they?
Helmets are very prevalent in the US. If they are lacking in any segments of the cycling populace, it's among commuters and hipsters. There is access to free helmets in the US. For instance in Tucson, AZ there are a few bike safety classes that you can take that will in the end give you a free bicycle helmet, among possibly other things like bike locks.

Originally Posted by Rhomulous .

I was wondering what the opinion was on wearing a ski helmet while cycling? Reason being with this cold weather they appear to provide more warmth.

Not the right protection?
You look a fool?

What do you all think?
You can wear any sort of helmet you want while cycling, who cares what other people think!

giro air attack publicity

vspa said:
giro air attack publicity
One review I read gave it great marks for ventilation, except in the case of climbing wherein ventilation seemed to disappear.

and this is the specialized answer, a little less radical imo, its gonna become the new generalized trend ?
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75

vspa said:
and this is the specialized answer, a little less radical imo, its gonna become the new generalized trend ?
I think you'll see more of these at least from the big manufacturers. After all, the melon and a typical helmet account for a significant amount of drag. An MIT study found that a helmet could reduce drag more than a bicycle frame and more than wheels. Note however that is one study. With companies now booking a lot more wind tunnel time and investing in CFD software (far from cheap), helmet ventilation is improving quickly as is aerodynamics, so it's certainly not out of the question for such helmets to ventilate well. It is likely however that such helmets will fall behind regular helmets on climbs where speeds are significantly slower.

Originally Posted by 90rpm .

Hello Dave,
will Appreciate your opinion on the following with regard to the Giro-Air-Attack shield

If you've been usung it already, pretty good ?
Any idea why they discontinue the White/silver one
Can you estimate how larger (the outside) the L comparing to the M (i'm 59cm.. not sure what to take - L is safer but if it's too big outside I'll hate it.. :)

Thanks a lot !
I've got a few weeks of riding and one race with the Air Attack so far.

My first impressions were that the helmet sits pretty high as in a bonnet up high on the head so coverage doesn't seem as complete over the sides of my head as more traditional road helmets. And of course it has a sort of retro-skateboard-hockeyhelmet look to it which folks either like or dislike. I ride the version without the visor so I don't have the complete Robocop look. It's a pretty small helmet and I was able to get away with the S/M size but overall exterior dimensions are definitely smaller than my current Atmos helmet.

Anyway, once on my head and out on a ride I just don't notice it. I'll trust that it's at least as fast as my other helmets but haven't done any field testing to validate that theory. But all in all I like the helmet, it's comfortable and stays put. It's cool enough on the few hot days we've had but frankly it hasn't really broken 70 degrees up here yet and is still raining a lot so I can't say how it would do in Texas or Tucson.

So all in all I'm happy with it, no magic but none really expected.

-Dave