[email protected] wrote:

> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:

> > > I haven't done an exhaustive search yet. The hardware store didn't have
> > > any, and to complicate matters here in Norway "parafin" means kerosene.
> > >
> > > I'll give canning wax a shot, but in general the selection of various
> > > things at supermarkets here is quite a bit more limited than in the US.

> > Any place that sells home canning supplies ("Mason" jars, etc.) will
> > likely have canning wax (under whatever name may be used in your
> > locale).
> >

> The supermarket didn't have any, and the woman there said that nobody
> uses wax for that anymore. But they did have a good selection of
> candles and some of the more expensive ones are pure paraffin wax, so
> I'm in business!

No candle is pure paraffin wax because it does not burn
properly in a candle. Not that this is means the
product is not good for bicycle chains.

--
Michael Press

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:

NOS and

These

them nice

(nice

have been

grades. How

added

etc.

> > > Not around here. Nobody has it.
> > >

> > Also sold as "canning wax", have you tried that?

> I haven't done an exhaustive search yet. The hardware store didn't

have
> any, and to complicate matters here in Norway "parafin" means

kerosene.

> I'll give canning wax a shot, but in general the selection of various
> things at supermarkets here is quite a bit more limited than in the

US.
> I will be pleasantly surprised if the supermarket has any. Where else
> would someone get paraffin?
>
> Joseph

Some place where women go for waxing to get body hair removed???

Chas.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> patrick mitchel wrote:
> > How bout toilet bowl rings- the wax donut that they put under the

toilet
> > when seating it... Hardware store item... Pat

> I don't know ... that's very sticky stuff, sort of like XC skiing
> klister. I imagine it would get very filthy very quickly!
>
> - Frank Krygowski

I was thinking klister myself.... The only wax we used on Sierra
Cement! ;-)

What a yucky mess!

Chas.

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Ozark Bicycle wrote:

> > > Any place that sells home canning supplies ("Mason" jars, etc.) will
> > > likely have canning wax (under whatever name may be used in your
> > > locale).
> > >

> > The supermarket didn't have any, and the woman there said that nobody
> > uses wax for that anymore. But they did have a good selection of
> > candles and some of the more expensive ones are pure paraffin wax, so
> > I'm in business!

> No candle is pure paraffin wax because it does not burn
> properly in a candle. Not that this is means the
> product is not good for bicycle chains.

Some of the candles did not have their ingredients listed, others said
20% stearin, 80% paraffin. And some said they were 100% refined
paraffin. More still said 100% stearin.

Joseph

How bout beeswax? Any beekepers nearby? Really reaching- surfboard wax (my
favorite is "Zog's sex wax"). Pat

* * Chas wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:

> NOS and

> These

> them nice

> (nice

> have been

> grades. How

> added

> etc.
>>>>

>>> Also sold as "canning wax", have you tried that?

>> I haven't done an exhaustive search yet. The hardware store didn't

> have
>> any, and to complicate matters here in Norway "parafin" means

> kerosene.
>> I'll give canning wax a shot, but in general the selection of various
>> things at supermarkets here is quite a bit more limited than in the

> US.
>> I will be pleasantly surprised if the supermarket has any. Where else
>> would someone get paraffin?
>>
>> Joseph
>>

> Some place where women go for waxing to get body hair removed???
>
> Chas.

New or used?

--

Ted P.
Don't forget to take out the trash

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> My eBay fever has broken, and I have now a whole bunch of nice NOS and
> old used stuff to give my vintage rides the love they deserve. These
> are now exclusively good weather bikes, and I want to keep them nice
> and shiny. In particular I want the chains and freewheels (nice
> old-school gold finishes!) to stay super clean. To that end I have been
> thinking about lubing them with hot wax.
>
> The only wax I have easy access to is ski glider of various grades. How
> suitable would these be for chains? Would some other additive added
> during the melt process help matters? What about candle wax?
>
> How best to keep my drivetrain squeaky clean (booo...)?
>
> Joseph

Hi:
I've been using this product for awhile now. Like the results. Chain stays
clean and seems to wear well.
www.chainbutter.com.
Mike

Mike wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > My eBay fever has broken, and I have now a whole bunch of nice NOS and
> > old used stuff to give my vintage rides the love they deserve. These
> > are now exclusively good weather bikes, and I want to keep them nice
> > and shiny. In particular I want the chains and freewheels (nice
> > old-school gold finishes!) to stay super clean. To that end I have been
> > thinking about lubing them with hot wax.
> >
> > The only wax I have easy access to is ski glider of various grades. How
> > suitable would these be for chains? Would some other additive added
> > during the melt process help matters? What about candle wax?
> >
> > How best to keep my drivetrain squeaky clean (booo...)?
> >
> > Joseph

> Hi:
> I've been using this product for awhile now. Like the results. Chain stays
> clean and seems to wear well.
> www.chainbutter.com.
> Mike

That looks quite interesting. Also for my "real" bikes. How does it
stand up to rain?

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
>><[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>My eBay fever has broken, and I have now a whole bunch of nice NOS and
>>>old used stuff to give my vintage rides the love they deserve. These
>>>are now exclusively good weather bikes, and I want to keep them nice
>>>and shiny. In particular I want the chains and freewheels (nice
>>>old-school gold finishes!) to stay super clean. To that end I have been
>>>thinking about lubing them with hot wax.
>>>
>>>The only wax I have easy access to is ski glider of various grades. How
>>>suitable would these be for chains? Would some other additive added
>>>during the melt process help matters? What about candle wax?
>>>
>>>How best to keep my drivetrain squeaky clean (booo...)?
>>>
>>>Joseph

>>Hi:
>>I've been using this product for awhile now. Like the results. Chain stays
>>clean and seems to wear well.
>>www.chainbutter.com.
>>Mike

> That looks quite interesting. Also for my "real" bikes. How does it
> stand up to rain?
>
> Joseph

Huh??? I thought it was for your exclusively good weather bike(s)?
So rain is not an option.

Lou

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

"Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > NOS and

> > These

> > them nice

> > (nice

> > have been

> > grades. How

> > added

> > etc.

> >> I haven't done an exhaustive search yet. The hardware store didn't

> > have
> >> any, and to complicate matters here in Norway "parafin" means

> > kerosene.
> >> I'll give canning wax a shot, but in general the selection of

various
> >> things at supermarkets here is quite a bit more limited than in the

> > US.
> >> I will be pleasantly surprised if the supermarket has any. Where

else
> >> would someone get paraffin?
> >>
> >> Joseph
> >>

> > Some place where women go for waxing to get body hair removed???
> >
> > Chas.
> >

> New or used?
>
> --
>
> Ted P.
> Don't forget to take out the trash

You're disgusting!

Chas.

<> >
> > Hi:
> > I've been using this product for awhile now. Like the results. Chain

stays
> > clean and seems to wear well.
> > www.chainbutter.com.
> > Mike

> That looks quite interesting. Also for my "real" bikes. How does it
> stand up to rain?
>
> Joseph

I know it stays on the chain way better than the white liquid wax products I
have tried. Also seems to have a firmer surface coating than regular
paraffin and doesn't wash off. One thing I have found is it doesn't melt
quite as easy as advertised. Probably closer to the 200f mark. One of
those little potpourri cookers works great. Plug it in, melt the wax and
done deal in no time.
Mike

Lou Holtman wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Mike wrote:
> >
> >><[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]...

> >>Hi:
> >>I've been using this product for awhile now. Like the results. Chain stays
> >>clean and seems to wear well.
> >>www.chainbutter.com.
> >>Mike

> > That looks quite interesting. Also for my "real" bikes. How does it
> > stand up to rain?
> >
> > Joseph
> >

> Huh??? I thought it was for your exclusively good weather bike(s)?
> So rain is not an option.
>
> Lou

The main idea was for my "show" bikes, but that product seemed so easy
to use it might be nice for my "real" bikes too. If it works! And my
real bikes certainly see a lot of rain.

Joseph

* * Chas wrote:
> "Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> * * Chas wrote:
>>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> NOS and
>>> These
>>> them nice
>>> (nice
>>> have been

>>> grades. How
>>> added

>>> etc.

>>> have
>>> kerosene.

> various
>>> US.

> else

>>> Some place where women go for waxing to get body hair removed???
>>>
>>> Chas.
>>>

>> New or used?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ted P.
>> Don't forget to take out the trash

> You're disgusting!
>
> Chas.

Yes I've heard that before. Sometimes I can't help myself. I have an
irresistible compulsion that makes some people frown (but others chuckle
(or at least smile)).
My apologies.

--

Ted P.
Don't forget to take out the trash

"Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> > "Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > various

> > else

> >> New or used?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ted P.
> >> Don't forget to take out the trash

> > You're disgusting!
> >
> > Chas.
> >

> Yes I've heard that before. Sometimes I can't help myself. I have an
> irresistible compulsion that makes some people frown (but others chuckle
> (or at least smile)).
> My apologies.
>
> --
>
> Ted P.

On a ride yesterday I saw a sign on the back window of a beat up old van
stopped in traffic saying WAXING . Mobile bikini waxing was the first
thing that came to mind! Ya, if I were a woman that's just what I'd want!

When the stop light changed I could see the rest of the sign that said
MOBILE CAR WAXING.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> "Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > * * Chas wrote:
> > > "Ted P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > various
> > > else

> > > You're disgusting!
> > >
> > > Chas.
> > >

> > Yes I've heard that before. Sometimes I can't help myself. I have an
> > irresistible compulsion that makes some people frown (but others chuckle
> > (or at least smile)).
> > My apologies.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ted P.

> On a ride yesterday I saw a sign on the back window of a beat up old van
> stopped in traffic saying WAXING . Mobile bikini waxing was the first
> thing that came to mind! Ya, if I were a woman that's just what I'd want!
>
> When the stop light changed I could see the rest of the sign that said
> MOBILE CAR WAXING.
>
> Chas.

I knew a rider once in LA who was always harping on the fact that he
didn't have the van neccesary for what he deemed the key to his future:
his own mobile car detailing business. Whenever things weren't going to
well, he would mutter, "If I only had a van..."

He had a way with the ladies too. Once riding up some steep canyon
road, he was ahead of me (as usual) and he stopped next to a parked red
jaguar convertible with two very attractive ladies sitting in it.
Dripping with sweat and not looking like too great a catch, he says,
"Hey, do you girls wanna have sex?" "Not with you!" one replies, and my
friend continues without missing a beat, "Well what about my buddy over
here then?"

Maybe it was HIS van.

Joseph