Skibike Rally at Purgatory Feb 27-Mar 2

Rogers Pcs User

Guest
Darsh and other skibikers might like to know about the Skibike Rally hosted by the American Skibike
Assn. at Purgatory (Durango, CO) at the end of the month.

From Thursday Feb 27 to Mar 2 all lift passes will be 1/2 price for skibikers. Races and other
events too. Check this link for details:

http://www.ski-bike.org/festival-guide.html

To get the special pricing, you have to register by Feb. 20th. No cost to register.

"Rogers PCS User" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Darsh and other skibikers might like to know about the Skibike Rally hosted by the American
> Skibike Assn. at Purgatory (Durango, CO) at the end of the month.
>
> From Thursday Feb 27 to Mar 2 all lift passes will be 1/2 price for skibikers. Races and other
> events too. Check this link for details:
>
> http://www.ski-bike.org/festival-guide.html
>
> To get the special pricing, you have to register by Feb. 20th. No cost to register.

Sounds nice, but very old-school. Who in the hell wants to ride a skibob? They are not riding
skibikes. The two are completely different.

Also, you MUST ride the lift with foot-skis? What a waste. If I wanted to ski, I would slip on some
twin tips and go skiing. "No foot traffic." They say I can take off the skis when I am up on top.
Then what do I do, pack them down on my back? Sounds like more danger than it is worth. Hate to slam
down on my back with a set of 99cm ski-boards and bindings strapped to
it.

I must applaud them for trying, but skibobs are boring and take almost zero skill to become decent
at straight off the bat... especially if you are even a marginal skier. The skibob has no footpegs,
and if they do, they are so much out front, you feel like you should be filming for Easy-RiderII. It
is a great deal of fun, for a VERY short period of time.

I'll stick to the terrain park at Buttermilk. I should be back on the bike in a week or two. Thanks
for the heads up on the event though, nice to see the movement to the "real" thing, is in the works.

darsh

Darsh wrote:
> "Rogers PCS User" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Darsh and other skibikers might like to know about the Skibike Rally hosted by the American
>>Skibike Assn. at Purgatory (Durango, CO) at the end of the month.
>>
>>From Thursday Feb 27 to Mar 2 all lift passes will be 1/2 price for skibikers. Races and other
>>events too. Check this link for details:
>>
>>http://www.ski-bike.org/festival-guide.html
>>
>>To get the special pricing, you have to register by Feb. 20th. No cost to register.
>

> Sounds nice, but very old-school. Who in the hell wants to ride a skibob? They are not riding
> skibikes. The two are completely different.
>
> Also, you MUST ride the lift with foot-skis? What a waste. If I wanted to ski, I would slip on
> some twin tips and go skiing. "No foot traffic." They say I can take off the skis when I am up on
> top. Then what do I do, pack them down on my back? Sounds like more danger than it is worth. Hate
> to slam down on my back with a set of 99cm ski-boards and bindings strapped to
> it.
>
> I must applaud them for trying, but skibobs are boring and take almost zero skill to become decent
> at straight off the bat... especially if you are even a marginal skier. The skibob has no
> footpegs, and if they do, they are so much out front, you feel like you should be filming for
> Easy-RiderII. It is a great deal of fun, for a VERY short period of time.
>
> I'll stick to the terrain park at Buttermilk. I should be back on the bike in a week or two.
> Thanks for the heads up on the event though, nice to see the movement to the "real" thing, is in
> the works.
>
> darsh

You should send them the video. Since you're not on a traditional skibike, they might make
allowances, as long as you sign a release. You'd probably kick ass at the downhill speed
exhibition too ;)

Jon Bond

Jonathan Bond wrote:
> Darsh wrote:
>> "Rogers PCS User" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Darsh and other skibikers might like to know about the Skibike Rally hosted by the American
>>> Skibike Assn. at Purgatory (Durango, CO) at the end of the month.
>>>
>>> From Thursday Feb 27 to Mar 2 all lift passes will be 1/2 price for skibikers. Races and other
>>> events too. Check this link for details:
>>>
>>> http://www.ski-bike.org/festival-guide.html
>>>
>>> To get the special pricing, you have to register by Feb. 20th. No cost to register.
>>

>> Sounds nice, but very old-school. Who in the hell wants to ride a skibob? They are not riding
>> skibikes. The two are completely different.
>>
>> Also, you MUST ride the lift with foot-skis? What a waste. If I wanted to ski, I would slip on
>> some twin tips and go skiing. "No foot traffic." They say I can take off the skis when I am up on
>> top. Then what do I do, pack them down on my back? Sounds like more danger than it is worth. Hate
>> to slam down on my back with a set of 99cm ski-boards and bindings strapped to it.
>>
>> I must applaud them for trying, but skibobs are boring and take almost zero skill to become
>> decent at straight off the bat... especially if you are even a marginal skier. The skibob has no
>> footpegs, and if they do, they are so much out front, you feel like you should be filming for
>> Easy-RiderII. It is a great deal of fun, for a VERY short period of time.
>>
>> I'll stick to the terrain park at Buttermilk. I should be back on the bike in a week or two.
>> Thanks for the heads up on the event though, nice to see the movement to the "real" thing, is in
>> the works.
>>
>> darsh
>
> You should send them the video. Since you're not on a traditional skibike, they might make
> allowances, as long as you sign a release. You'd probably kick ass at the downhill speed
> exhibition too ;)
>
> Jon Bond

you, mean he will feel like someone kicked his ass if he attempts to ride too soon after that
procedure...

penny

Penny S. wrote:
> Jonathan Bond wrote:
>
>>Darsh wrote:

>>>Sounds nice, but very old-school. Who in the hell wants to ride a skibob? They are not riding
>>>skibikes. The two are completely different.
>>>
>>>Also, you MUST ride the lift with foot-skis? What a waste. If I wanted to ski, I would slip on
>>>some twin tips and go skiing. "No foot traffic." They say I can take off the skis when I am up on
>>>top. Then what do I do, pack them down on my back? Sounds like more danger than it is worth. Hate
>>>to slam down on my back with a set of 99cm ski-boards and bindings strapped to it.
>>>
>>>I must applaud them for trying, but skibobs are boring and take almost zero skill to become
>>>decent at straight off the bat... especially if you are even a marginal skier. The skibob has no
>>>footpegs, and if they do, they are so much out front, you feel like you should be filming for
>>>Easy-RiderII. It is a great deal of fun, for a VERY short period of time.
>>>
>>>I'll stick to the terrain park at Buttermilk. I should be back on the bike in a week or two.
>>>Thanks for the heads up on the event though, nice to see the movement to the "real" thing, is in
>>>the works.
>>>
>>>darsh
>>
>>You should send them the video. Since you're not on a traditional skibike, they might make
>>allowances, as long as you sign a release. You'd probably kick ass at the downhill speed
>>exhibition too ;)
>>
>>Jon Bond
>

> you, mean he will feel like someone kicked his ass if he attempts to ride too soon after that
> procedure...
>
> penny

True, but he did say a week or two, and that event is in two weeks.

Jon Bond dont' get me started on that grammar, I'm still not sure exactly what you said. And I've
got me a tird grade ebajucashun!

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Penny S. wrote:
> > Jonathan Bond wrote:

> >>You should send them the video. Since you're not on a traditional skibike, they might make
> >>allowances, as long as you sign a release. You'd probably kick ass at the downhill speed
> >>exhibition too ;)
> >>
> >>Jon Bond
> >

> > you, mean he will feel like someone kicked his ass if he attempts to
ride
> > too soon after that procedure...
> >
> > penny
>
> True, but he did say a week or two, and that event is in two weeks.
>
> Jon Bond dont' get me started on that grammar, I'm still not sure exactly what you said. And I've
> got me a tird grade ebajucashun!

I have sent the ASA a copy of my video, the winterxbike site videos, and a lot of discussion about
the differences and the similarities of the two disciplines. I will let you know what type of reply
I get. Skibobing is a venerable sport. The ASA might not be interested in knuckle-dragging,
slack-jawed, middle-aged men pulling a juggernaut on their fine, yet limited sport.

darsh (2 weeks! sat on the Giants seat today, no pain. I just need to let the incision heal a bit
more, and wear a lot of padding. I might be out this Sunday. I will believe it when I get a few runs
in with no pain. The pain was really hurting my style and ability before.)

> > > you, mean he will feel like someone kicked his ass if he attempts to
> ride
> > > too soon after that procedure...
> > >
> > > penny
> >
> > True, but he did say a week or two, and that event is in two weeks.
> >
> > Jon Bond dont' get me started on that grammar, I'm still not sure exactly what you said. And
> > I've got me a tird grade ebajucashun!
>
> I have sent the ASA a copy of my video, the winterxbike site videos, and a lot of discussion about
> the differences and the similarities of the two disciplines. I will let you know what type of
> reply I get. Skibobing is a venerable sport. The ASA might not be interested in knuckle-dragging,
> slack-jawed, middle-aged men pulling a juggernaut on their fine, yet limited sport.
>
> darsh (2 weeks! sat on the Giants seat today, no pain. I just need to let the incision heal a bit
> more, and wear a lot of padding. I might be out this Sunday. I will believe it when I get a few
> runs in with no pain. The pain was really hurting my style and ability before.)

I'm seriously reconsidering this SkiBike thing. Don't think I really need another a-ho; one is more
than enough.

--
Slacker

> > ride

> > > True, but he did say a week or two, and that event is in two weeks.
> > >
> > > Jon Bond dont' get me started on that grammar, I'm still not sure exactly what you said. And
> > > I've got me a tird grade ebajucashun!
> >
> > I have sent the ASA a copy of my video, the winterxbike site videos, and
> > lot of discussion about the differences and the similarities of the two disciplines. I will let
> > you know what type of reply I get. Skibobing
is a
> > venerable sport. The ASA might not be interested in knuckle-dragging, slack-jawed, middle-aged
> > men pulling a juggernaut on their fine, yet
limited
> > sport.
> >
> > darsh (2 weeks! sat on the Giants seat today, no pain. I just need to let
the
> > incision heal a bit more, and wear a lot of padding. I might be out
this
> > Sunday. I will believe it when I get a few runs in with no pain. The
pain
> > was really hurting my style and ability before.)
>

> I'm seriously reconsidering this SkiBike thing. Don't think I really need
another a-ho; one is more than enough.

BAH! Get tough man! hehe.

My problem was certainly not created by the bike seat... skibike or any other. I tried to get a
handle on how I could have avoided it, or can avoid it in the future, but that is not possible.
There was nothing any doctor knows that would have had me avoid it, or can have me avoid it in
the future.

My condition was related to me alone, not the skibike. The skibike certainly brought it to
fruition, but who cares. It is about gone and surgery included, not a very big deal. I am just glad
it was not cancer.

I still have one "a-ho" thank God, but from what I hear.... it could, and maybe should have been a
lot worse. My doctor had done over 100 similar operations before mine.

darsh "Go to the hospital now, if the abcess ruptures, you will drop dead in 10 seconds."

Darsh wrote:

> Also, you MUST ride the lift with foot-skis? What a waste. If I wanted to ski, I would slip on
> some twin tips and go skiing. "No foot traffic." They say I can take off the skis when I am up on
> top. Then what do I do, pack them down on my back? Sounds like more danger than it is worth. Hate
> to slam down on my back with a set of 99cm ski-boards and bindings strapped to
> it.

Who uses 99cm skis? Sounds like Snowblades to me.

To enter a sanctioned race your foot skis have to be 53cm or less. My skis aren't much longer than
my boots because I like to have them on the pegs and longer would negate that possibility.

Foot skis are a help in stopping too. From your Aspen experience it sounds like you prefer to lay
the bike down to stop it. To each his own.

Hope we see you there. If I recognize your bike I will introduce myself.

Rogers PCS

"Rogers PCS User" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Darsh wrote:
> >
> > Also, you MUST ride the lift with foot-skis? What a waste. If I wanted
> > ski, I would slip on some twin tips and go skiing. "No foot traffic."
They
> > say I can take off the skis when I am up on top. Then what do I do,
pack
> > them down on my back? Sounds like more danger than it is worth. Hate
> > slam down on my back with a set of 99cm ski-boards and bindings strapped
> > it.
>
> Who uses 99cm skis? Sounds like Snowblades to me.

Snowblades are things of the past. Ski-boards are not skis. Ski-boards are like small snowboards. To
be skiboards they must be under 100cm. I have read that to race in Germany, your foot skis must be
under 100cm. I have also read things that contradict that length. I have never heard of the 53cm
length rule, and the race photos I have seen show lengths longer than
53cm. Who knows about American rules? I have never seen a list.

> To enter a sanctioned race your foot skis have to be 53cm or less. My skis aren't much longer than
> my boots because I like to have them on the pegs and longer would negate that possibility.

I just simply don't like the skibob style with skis on my feet. It is very limiting.

> Foot skis are a help in stopping too. From your Aspen experience it sounds like you prefer to lay
> the bike down to stop it. To each his own.

I can stop as fast as anyone wearing footskis. I have no desire to snowplow my bike around with skis
on my feet. Can't really even use the terrain park, or the halfpipe with skis on my feet.

> Hope we see you there. If I recognize your bike I will introduce myself.

I would be there, but they are simply not ready for the freestyle aspect of skibiking. Be
interesting to see what reply I get from the ASA concerning this, if I get a reply.

Putting skis on my AlpineStar motocross boots is not something I want to experiment with anyway.
Even though, I believe both styles can coexist with each other.

Good luck out there.

darsh

Darsh wrote:

> I just simply don't like the skibob style with skis on my feet. It is very limiting.

I find not having foot skis limited me from some of the best runs and ski areas. As you said before
many will say "no foot traffic" which means crossing those ski areas off your list (ie limiting the
number of ski areas you can ride at).

> > Foot skis are a help in stopping too. From your Aspen experience it sounds like you prefer to
> > lay the bike down to stop it. To each his own.
>
> I can stop as fast as anyone wearing footskis. I have no desire to snowplow my bike around with
> skis on my feet. Can't really even use the terrain park, or the halfpipe with skis on my feet.

Anyone who snowplows to stop must be a rank amateur. I and my more experienced cohorts all look like
NHLers when we stop, sending a shower of snow down ahead of us. It's very much like stopping on ice
skates. Personally I'd be embarrassed to snowplow to a stop, so I don't blame you for shunning it.

> > Hope we see you there. If I recognize your bike I will introduce myself.
>
> I would be there, but they are simply not ready for the freestyle aspect of skibiking. Be
> interesting to see what reply I get from the ASA concerning this, if I get a reply.

At my local ski areas I spend most of my time in the terrain park. I take a lot of jumps but I avoid
the table tops and rails. I like my nutz the way they are, thanks. At the rally in Durango people
are more likely to see racing and jumps than anything to do with bumps. Most of these guys are
riders from the early 1970's with long beards and pony tails. More Easy Rider types? I don't know.

> Putting skis on my AlpineStar motocross boots is not something I want to experiment with anyway.
> Even though, I believe both styles can coexist with each other.

The ski area has deals on lift passes and skibike rentals (K2 Snowcycles) if you don't want to risk
your own gear. It may not be what you expect, but it may be further than you want to go to take the
chance. I'm hoping other readers here will see this and maybe make the drive.

Maybe we'll have some video from the rally we can post afterward.

Later Gator.

"Rogers PCS User" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Darsh wrote:
> >

> > I just simply don't like the skibob style with skis on my feet. It is
very
> > limiting.
>
> I find not having foot skis limited me from some of the best runs and ski areas. As you said
> before many will say "no foot traffic" which means crossing those ski areas off your list (ie
> limiting the number of ski areas you can ride at).

What runs could you not do without foot skis? Purg is the only resort I have heard of that does not
allow a skibike without footskis.

> > > Foot skis are a help in stopping too. From your Aspen experience it sounds like you prefer to
> > > lay the bike down to stop it. To each his
own.

> > I can stop as fast as anyone wearing footskis. I have no desire to
snowplow
> > my bike around with skis on my feet. Can't really even use the terrain park, or the halfpipe
> > with skis on my feet.
>
> Anyone who snowplows to stop must be a rank amateur. I and my more experienced cohorts all look
> like NHLers when we stop, sending a shower of snow down ahead of us. It's very much like stopping
> on ice skates. Personally I'd be embarrassed to snowplow to a stop, so I don't blame you for
> shunning it.
>

> > > Hope we see you there. If I recognize your bike I will introduce
myself.

> > I would be there, but they are simply not ready for the freestyle aspect
of
> > skibiking. Be interesting to see what reply I get from the ASA
concerning
> > this, if I get a reply.
>
> At my local ski areas I spend most of my time in the terrain park. I take a lot of jumps but I
> avoid the table tops and rails. I like my nutz the way they are, thanks. At the rally in Durango
> people are more likely to see racing and jumps than anything to do with bumps. Most of these
> guys are riders from the early 1970's with long beards and pony tails. More Easy Rider types? I
> don't know.

Have you seen the videos at www.winterxbike.com? You can see in those videos what I am talking
about. You can't jump like that with foward pegs and foot skis.

> > Putting skis on my AlpineStar motocross boots is not something I want to experiment with anyway.
> > Even though, I believe both styles can coexist
with
> > each other.
>
> The ski area has deals on lift passes and skibike rentals (K2 Snowcycles) if you don't want to
> risk your own gear. It may not be what you expect, but it may be further than you want to go to
> take the chance. I'm hoping other readers here will see this and maybe make the drive.
>
> Maybe we'll have some video from the rally we can post afterward.

Look forward to seeing it!

> Later Gator.

darsh