Skid, crash, wipeout

Novelangel

Apr 28, 2016
I just watched a video that was supposed to be a car crash compilation but it included a clip of two bicyclists who drove directly into each other at full speed. Smash! They locked front tires, the back ends of the bikes went up, the bikers went head over heels at each other. One guy lifted his hand as if he expected the other dude to help him up. I couldn't tell who was at fault, maybe both, but seriously? How many people do that... run directly head on into another bike at full speed? It's like they were playing chicken and neither one would slow down or give way. I have seen cyclists hit each other in sideswipe style and I've wiped out myself, but this is ridiculous. Anyone ever seen such a thing happen on a long ride?

Sounds like It was done purposely. Maybe they didn't expect that messy outcome. Nowadays there are some Mtv jackass wannabes looking for a good shot of adrenaline. There are people like that.

Reactions: Novelangel
That could very well be. I didn't even consider the possibility that they were doing it on purpose. Well, if they were trying to get famous, they managed to get idiotic. Not much else can be said about people who do stunts like that on purpose. Not only did they destroy two good bikes, they probably gave each other serious arthritis issues that will pop up in the next ten or twenty years as well. All I can say is, hope it was worth it.

Most bike falls are from people not being aware of the traction of their area. I went down a left hand sweeper that got tighter and had a blow-out at about 25 mph and didn't fall. Part of that was because I was low enough in the turn so that I had some run-out space and part of it was because I've fallen so many times that I know what to do now in single bike accidents.

Running head first could come from a variety of reasons - two people looking down instead of ahead. One or both of the people being beginners and not being able to pass correctly etc.

I passed two inexperienced people on a trail yesterday and one had a real hard problem staying on his side of the trail because he was trying to miss me so much he wasn't watching the trail. But I'm used to that sort of thing and as he wove back onto his side I sped up and was by.

Good judgement comes with experience.

Reactions: Novelangel
It was probably done on purpose. Because these days everyone is battling over who can get the most likes and shares, trying to go viral and become internet famous.

It was probably done on purpose. Because these days everyone is battling over who can get the most likes and shares, trying to go viral and become internet famous.
Although I've never met anyone that likes road rash you could be correct.

It sounds dangerous but it also sounds funny. Do you have a source for that video? It also sounds like something that was planned or they were just taking the definition of fun to the extreme. I have been in cases where I have accidentally charged into the back wheel of another cyclist but not hard enough to knock them off.

After the Jackass movies came out there were a lot of people that tried to do some really idiotic stunts. It sounds to me that what you have described is one of these stunts.

Belovedad, unfortunately I don't have a link to the video or I'd share it here. It was just a random YouTube video based on the search words, "car crashes". It could be that the two guys did this on purpose, but as cyclintom mentioned... why would they want road rash? I've had it before when I wiped out and it's no fun. Also, unless those were very old clunker bikes, why would they want to destroy them like that? They didn't look like junk bikes, but the video wasn't right up close and personal. It was a dash-cam video taken from a car. Plus, I'm pretty sure it was filmed in Russia, where you find a lot of craziness on the streets and roadways. Not all, but most of the dash-cam videos on YouTube are made in Russia because they need to prove responsibility for insurance purposes. It could very well be that they were inexperienced as cyclintom suggested, and just don't yet know the rules of the road. Anything's possible.

After the Jackass movies came out there were a lot of people that tried to do some really idiotic stunts. It sounds to me that what you have described is one of these stunts.
Movies just brainwashes the mind of the people. I agree, it's really an idiotic act. We should understand that the movie scenes are made under various expert and under proper the guidance and supervision. Many people just try to do it without any protection. That's a silly idea. Everyone can't be a stuntman.

Reactions: SirJoe
One time when I was little me and my brother ran into each other head on. But I don't think it really counts because we had just ditched our training wheels and we were going like 1 mile an hour in grass. We didn't do it on purpose, it was just a lack of experience and control and neither of us got hurt. I have never seen anyone else do this. I think the more experienced you get the less accident prone you are. I have had several wipe outs though, even as an experienced biker.

Movies just brainwashes the mind of the people. I agree, it's really an idiotic act. We should understand that the movie scenes are made under various expert and under proper the guidance and supervision. Many people just try to do it without any protection. That's a silly idea. Everyone can't be a stuntman.
Very true but you still have the net riddled with these videos. I once saw two guess sliding down a roof and landing straight onto their backs. They both ended in bad shape, unfortunately the video ends there and doesn't show them in the hospital. If it did it could still serve as a warning, bones do brake.