skidding on track bike

Harris <[email protected]> writes:

> Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://www.oldskooltrack.com/files/skids.frame.html#top
>
> I suppose the object is to make the longest skid. But how come I don't see any skid marks? Are
> there any rules in this "sport?" My friends and I used to compete at skidding on our coaster brake
> bikes at about age 9, but it didn't look like this!

Yup, the fixed gear skid competition has been a staple at bike messenger championships. They can go
hundreds of yards by keeping barely any weight on the rear wheel (hence the extreme forward position)-
a nice demonstration, if exaggerated, of the inefficacy of rear wheel braking!

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:45:20 GMT, Harris
<[email protected]> may have said:

>Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://www.oldskooltrack.com/files/skids.frame.html#top
>
>I suppose the object is to make the longest skid. But how come I don't see any skid marks?

With the weight balance far enough forward, the rider is putting so little pressure on the rear
wheel that it probably won't mark on asphalt, and might not mark on concrete either. Look at the guy
who's steering with his stomach; I believe he's using his arms to balance and just barely keep the
weight transfer from going forward of the front wheel's contact patch. If I'm right, he's
maintaining a skid that's just barely short of an endo for very long distances. On a slight
downgrade, he could probably do it for the whole course.

it's also possible that I'm busy.