Skier Herman Maier to lead Tour Prologue?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Java Man, Jun 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    There's a little discussion over on rec.skiing.alpine about how world class skier Herman Maier will
    do leading off the prologue of the Tour.

    Anyone have any data on how other world class athletes--such as triathletes--stand up against Tour
    professionals in a TT?

    Rick
     
    Tags:


  2. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Java Man (Espressopithecus)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There's a little discussion over on rec.skiing.alpine about how world class skier Herman Maier
    > will do leading off the prologue of the Tour.
    >
    > Anyone have any data on how other world class athletes--such as triathletes--stand up against Tour
    > professionals in a TT?
    >
    > Rick

    He's being given a 5 minute or so head start. If you've ever seen Herman Maier (which I'm guessing
    you have, what with the rec.skiing.alpine reference), he's a BEAST. Absolute maniac. His main form
    of cross training now is actually biking, and I think it has been since that major skiing acident he
    had (the one where he caught an edge and got thrown like 25 feet in the air... daaaamn scary crash),
    and especially since his motorcycling acident. He might not be able to stay ahead the whole TT, but
    he should keep up a pretty good clip.

    Jon Bond
     
  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    >> There's a little discussion over on rec.skiing.alpine about how world class skier Herman Maier
    >> will do leading off the prologue of the Tour.
    >
    > He might not be able to stay ahead the whole TT, but he should keep up a pretty good clip.

    A bit wacky, but interesting to watch. I'll bet he gets smoked. He seems way too big to keep a good
    pace. His sport taxes the body like a cycling interval, which puts him well below world class
    cyclist endurance. Of course the prologue is awfully short. Hell, who knows.

    I think the public has a general fascination with sports stars crossing over, as if their skill
    and/or athleticism will translate. It rarely does I think.

    Doug
     
  4. In article <[email protected]>, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Java Man (Espressopithecus)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > There's a little discussion over on rec.skiing.alpine about how world class skier Herman Maier
    > > will do leading off the prologue of the Tour.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any data on how other world class athletes--such as triathletes--stand up against
    > > Tour professionals in a TT?
    > >
    > > Rick
    >
    > He's being given a 5 minute or so head start. If you've ever seen Herman Maier (which I'm guessing
    > you have, what with the rec.skiing.alpine reference), he's a BEAST. Absolute maniac. His main form
    > of cross training now is actually biking, and I think it has been since that major skiing acident
    > he had (the one where he caught an edge and got thrown like 25 feet in the air... daaaamn scary
    > crash), and especially since his motorcycling acident. He might not be able to stay ahead the
    > whole TT, but he should keep up a pretty good clip.

    Well, the prologue is 6.5 km. The pros will probably ride it at 50 km/h depending on the course
    profile. If Herman the German is a reasonably fast non-racer cyclist (say, 30+ km/h) he should stay
    ahead of the first man, who will be among the slowest TTers in the race (Lance goes last).

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
     
  5. Here's a story I heard about Hermann Maier that impresses the heck out of me.

    You know those exercise balls that are common in physical therapy or for physical fitness training?
    Apparently Maier can be standing flatfooted and then jump up, land on and then balance on a 65cm
    ball. Then, he can jump from one ball to another. Yowza!

    This strikes me as a good example of just how wide the gulf is between elite athletes and the rest
    of us (especially me)!
     
  6. Joe Riel

    Joe Riel Guest

    [email protected] (Eagle Jackson) writes:

    > Here's a story I heard about Hermann Maier that impresses the heck out of me.
    >
    > You know those exercise balls that are common in physical therapy or for physical fitness
    > training? Apparently Maier can be standing flatfooted and then jump up, land on and then balance
    > on a 65cm ball. Then, he can jump from one ball to another. Yowza!
    >
    > This strikes me as a good example of just how wide the gulf is between elite athletes and the rest
    > of us (especially me)!

    That doesn't seem particulary impressive. While I haven't attempted to jump onto one of the balls
    (nor plan to), I learned to stand on one, shakily, with only a few attempts, so an athlete with a
    good sense of balance (not me) should quickly do much better. Walking on the ball, however, appears
    to be quite a challenge.

    Joe Riel
     
  7. Ryan Cousineau a écrit:
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>"Java Man (Espressopithecus)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>There's a little discussion over on rec.skiing.alpine about how world class skier Herman Maier
    >>>will do leading off the prologue of the Tour.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone have any data on how other world class athletes--such as triathletes--stand up against
    >>>Tour professionals in a TT?
    >>>
    >>>Rick
    >>
    >>He's being given a 5 minute or so head start. If you've ever seen Herman Maier (which I'm guessing
    >>you have, what with the rec.skiing.alpine reference), he's a BEAST. Absolute maniac. His main form
    >>of cross training now is actually biking, and I think it has been since that major skiing acident
    >>he had (the one where he caught an edge and got thrown like 25 feet in the air... daaaamn scary
    >>crash), and especially since his motorcycling acident. He might not be able to stay ahead the
    >>whole TT, but he should keep up a pretty good clip.
    >
    >
    > Well, the prologue is 6.5 km. The pros will probably ride it at 50 km/h depending on the course
    > profile. If Herman the German

    isn't he austrian?

    is a reasonably
    > fast non-racer cyclist (say, 30+ km/h) he should stay ahead of the first man, who will be among
    > the slowest TTers in the race (Lance goes last).
     
  8. Ryan Cousineau a écrit:
    >If Herman the German

    Robert Schinner wrote:
    >isn't he austrian?

    Yep, but they speak the same language so sometimes people get confused. Also, his nickname is "The
    Hermanator" if you need to use one.

    Seriously, he's not human.

    I wouldn't be suprised if he can ride faster than the majority of people here. Yeah, he's no TdF
    caliber rider but he is a great athlete who rides a lot as part of his training.

    --Bill Davidson
     
  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    Bill Davidson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ryan Cousineau a écrit:
    > >If Herman the German
    >
    > Robert Schinner wrote:
    > >isn't he austrian?
    >
    > Yep, but they speak the same language so sometimes people get confused. Also, his nickname is "The
    > Hermanator" if you need to use one.

    Whoops. I must have him confused with some other Herman. I've heard "Hermanator" before, though.

    > Seriously, he's not human.
    >
    > I wouldn't be suprised if he can ride faster than the majority of people here. Yeah, he's no TdF
    > caliber rider but he is a great athlete who rides a lot as part of his training.

    I'm out, then.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
     
  10. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    good excercise for those knee ligaments herman lost max braking.
     
  11. Archer

    Archer Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Here's a story I heard about Hermann Maier that impresses the heck out of me.
    >
    > You know those exercise balls that are common in physical therapy or for physical fitness
    > training? Apparently Maier can be standing flatfooted and then jump up, land on and then balance
    > on a 65cm ball. Then, he can jump from one ball to another. Yowza!

    Considering that he does essentially that a few hundred times in the course of a ski race, it
    makes sense!

    --
    David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
    it's morning".

    Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.
     
  12. > That doesn't seem particulary impressive. While I haven't attempted to jump onto one of the balls
    > (nor plan to), I learned to stand on one, shakily, with only a few attempts, so an athlete with a
    > good sense of balance (not me) should quickly do much better. Walking on the ball, however,
    > appears to be quite a challenge.
    >
    > Joe Riel

    Standing on a ball => not too hard. I can do it no sweat. Jumping up and landing on your feet on the
    ball and balancing, then jumping from one ball to another => very hard. Give it a try!
     
  13. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    Likes Received:
    1
    Is this the first time they've done this (guest rider for the prologue)? Or is it something they do every year? I've never heard of it but it sounds interesting.
     
  14. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    archer wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    >>Here's a story I heard about Hermann Maier that impresses the heck out of me.
    >>
    >>You know those exercise balls that are common in physical therapy or for physical fitness
    >>training? Apparently Maier can be standing flatfooted and then jump up, land on and then balance
    >>on a 65cm ball. Then, he can jump from one ball to another. Yowza!
    >
    >
    > Considering that he does essentially that a few hundred times in the course of a ski race, it
    > makes sense!

    Though just a wannabe racer, I can bomb a downhill course pretty fast. It doesn't sound that similar
    to me, but I haven't tried balancing on one of those balls either. Depends on how much air is in it.

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.
     
  15. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    Raptor!! Here's a story:french humor following bush bearlustconi places the skiing cripple into the
    prolog, corraltes of never again elect a texan to hi office. does herman work for the cartel? then
    agin, how do they top lance and the posties?
     
  16. On 1 Jul 2003 08:28:12 -0700, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:

    >Here's a story:french humor following bush bearlustconi places the skiing cripple into the prolog,
    >corraltes of never again elect a texan to hi office. does herman work for the cartel? then agin,
    >how do they top lance and the posties?

    Okay, that does it. I'm officially giving up on making sense out of your stream-of-consciousness
    verbal diarrhea.

    Jasper
     
  17. Matt Locker

    Matt Locker Guest

    --------------080404090803020905060809 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

    Jasper:

    The way I handle this drivel is to just not read anything that g.daniels submits. It makes my day
    that much better for not reading it.

    MOO, Matt

    Jasper Janssen wrote:

    >On 1 Jul 2003 08:28:12 -0700, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>Here's a story:french humor following bush bearlustconi places the skiing cripple into the prolog,
    >>corraltes of never again elect a texan to hi office. does herman work for the cartel? then agin,
    >>how do they top lance and the posties?
    >>
    >>
    >
    >Okay, that does it. I'm officially giving up on making sense out of your stream-of-consciousness
    >verbal diarrhea.
    >
    >Jasper
    >
    >

    --------------080404090803020905060809 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"> <title></title> </head> <body>
    Jasper:<br> <br> The way I handle this drivel is to just not read anything that g.daniels submits.
    It makes my day that much better for not reading it.<br> <br> MOO,<br> Matt<br> <br> Jasper
    Janssen wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite" cite="[email protected]">
    <pre wrap="">On 1 Jul 2003 08:28:12 -0700, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
    href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a> (g.daniels) wrote:

    </pre> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre wrap="">Here's a story:french humor following bush
    bearlustconi places the skiing cripple into the prolog, corraltes of never again elect a texan to
    hi office. does herman work for the cartel? then agin, how do they top lance and the posties?
    </pre> </blockquote> <pre wrap=""><!----> Okay, that does it. I'm officially giving up on making
    sense out of your stream-of-consciousness verbal diarrhea.

    Jasper </pre> </blockquote> <br> </body> </html>

    --------------080404090803020905060809--
     
  18. On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:08:20 -0400, Matt Locker <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Jasper Janssen wrote:

    >>Okay, that does it. I'm officially giving up on making sense out of your stream-of-consciousness
    >>verbal diarrhea.

    >The way I handle this drivel is to just not read anything that g.daniels submits. It makes my day
    >that much better for not reading it.

    That's pretty much what I just announced I was going to do. Automatically, now, instead of
    jsut manually.

    Jasper
     
  19. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    palpable intrigue, palpable!!
     
  20. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:08:20 -0400, Matt Locker <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Jasper Janssen wrote:
    >
    >>>Okay, that does it. I'm officially giving up on making sense out of your stream-of-consciousness
    >>>verbal diarrhea.
    >
    >>The way I handle this drivel is to just not read anything that g.daniels submits. It makes my day
    >>that much better for not reading it.
    >
    >That's pretty much what I just announced I was going to do. Automatically, now, instead of jsut
    >manually.

    He reads like a basic Eliza program (remember those?). But sometimes English majors get into an
    "E.E. Cummings phase" and think that the more they can mangle syntax and punctuation the more
    meaningful the result will be. Heh.

    Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...