Skills on a Club Run

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Rollason, May 5, 2003.

  1. I am considering joining a cycle club - to assist me in finding better routes - and improve my
    cycling performance (relative - as I am nearly
    40).

    I have been told the best thing is to join a local club run - which I intend to do. Just wondered
    what techniques should someone who has never ridden in a bunch before employ on there maiden club
    run. - I do suffer from weak and stiff ankles - so clicking into my SPD'S isn't always as crisp as I
    would like.

    Although I don't ever intend to race - I would consider that at the moment CTC rides would
    be to slow.

    Pete Halesowen Birmingham

    Tags:

  2. >Although I don't ever intend to race - I would consider that at the moment CTC rides would
    >be to slow.

    Are the CTC members of Birmingham so unfit??? The CTC members of Norfolk put them to shame, then ;-)
    I have great admiration and not less than a tad of jealousy at the speed at which Norfolk CTC
    superpensioners and other members can cycle along on their bikes!

    Cheers, helen s :)

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 5 May 2003 13:09:36 -0700, [email protected] (Pete Rollason) wrote:

    >Although I don't ever intend to race - I would consider that at the moment CTC rides would
    >be to slow.

    Your CTC May Vary. Our Wednesday rides divide into slow and fast - with the fast group being quite
    quick enough for me, and attracting several members of the local racing club. Sunday rins tend to be
    more about steady progress than speed, but you can't do 80+ miles in a day without moving at least
    moderately fast. I'm quite fit, can average 20mph for a coupole of hours, and I find some CTC Sunday
    runs a challenge, others (those of only 70-odd miles) a nice relaxing trundle.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. Hatchet

    Hatchet Guest

    There is a club run that leaves the island, corner of Walter Somers Club around 9:30 on Sunday
    mornings. Or, you could pop in to the Halesowen A&CC Track on Manor Way and ask the club coaches for
    some advise.

    Chopper

    "Pete Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering joining a cycle club - to assist me in finding better routes - and improve my
    > cycling performance (relative - as I am nearly
    > 40).
    >
    > I have been told the best thing is to join a local club run - which I intend to do. Just wondered
    > what techniques should someone who has never ridden in a bunch before employ on there maiden club
    > run. - I do suffer from weak and stiff ankles - so clicking into my SPD'S isn't always as crisp as
    > I would like.
    >
    > Although I don't ever intend to race - I would consider that at the moment CTC rides would be
    > to slow.
    >
    > Pete Halesowen Birmingham

  5. Si Davies

    Si Davies Guest

    > Are the CTC members of Birmingham so unfit???

    they must be as i won the North Birmingham section hill climb last year :)

    i knew a few members of the Stourbridge section and they used to go at a decent touring speed
    (especially when heading towards the cafe).

  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (Pete Rollason) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I have been told the best thing is to join a local club run - which I intend to do. Just
    > wondered what techniques should someone who has never ridden in a bunch before employ on there
    > maiden club run.

    The main thing is not to bring the group down. :) Just make it clear at the start that you are
    new to group riding. From a sense of self preservation they will tell you everything you need to
    know, and should lead you in nice and gently. Listen carefully, concentrate, and you will be
    amazingly popular.

    > Although I don't ever intend to race - I would consider that at the moment CTC rides would be
    > to slow.

    You don't intend to race now, but you could find yourself strangely drawn towards it as your
    technique and fitness improve and you start to enjoy the feeling of being swept along in the chain
    gang. Don't be too dismissive of the CTC either, some of those guys might surprise you.

    --
    Dave...

  7. "Hatchet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > There is a club run that leaves the island, corner of Walter Somers Club around 9:30 on Sunday
    > mornings. Or, you could pop in to the Halesowen A&CC Track on Manor Way and ask the club coaches
    > for some advise.
    >
    > Chopper
    >
    > "Pete Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am considering joining a cycle club - to assist me in finding better routes - and improve my
    > > cycling performance (relative - as I am nearly
    > > 40).
    > >
    > > I have been told the best thing is to join a local club run - which I intend to do. Just
    > > wondered what techniques should someone who has never ridden in a bunch before employ on there
    > > maiden club run. - I do suffer from weak and stiff ankles - so clicking into my SPD'S isn't
    > > always as crisp as I would like.
    > >
    > > Although I don't ever intend to race - I would consider that at the moment CTC rides would be
    > > to slow.
    > >
    > > Pete Halesowen Birmingham

    Sorry this thread has got sidetracked into the speed of CTC club runs. I didn't mean to offend CTC
    riders. I suppose what I mean is that i have a racing bike and wear racing gear - think I might feel
    a bit out of it on a CTC run.

    Anyway my original question was more asking for tips on your first club run, as I have never ridden
    in a bunch before.

    Pete.

  8. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Pete Rollason <[email protected]> wrote:

    : I have been told the best thing is to join a local club run - which I intend to do. Just wondered
    : what techniques should someone who has never ridden in a bunch before employ on there maiden club
    : run. - I do suffer from weak and stiff ankles - so clicking into my SPD'S isn't always as crisp as
    : I would like.

    To answer the question asked:

    The skills you need depend on the group. Groups like (most) CTC rides ride fairly loosely - all you
    need to do is keep with the other riders. Ride side by side. When someone shouts "single out", if
    you are on the inside slow down a smidge (no brakes!) and let the rider on the outside in. If you
    are on the outside, slip in in front of the rider on your inside.

    If someone points at the ground, they are warning of a pothole/something in the road. *Don't* stare
    where they are pointing, just move a little in the opposite direction.

    Never brake sharply in a bunch.

    If you have a puncture, shout "Puncture". This lets people behind move around you and means people
    will wait for you.

    That covers the basics really.

    Faster groups ride much closer and it all gets much more hairy, so start with the basics and go
    from there.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  9. Si Davies

    Si Davies Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > riders. Ride side by side. When someone shouts "single out", if you are on the inside slow down a
    > smidge (no brakes!) and let the rider on the outside in. If you are on the outside, slip in in
    > front of the rider on your inside.

    interesting - our lot seam to do it the other way - rider on the outside pulls in behind. With a new
    group it's probably best to check with your run leader which it is or could cause some comedy
    situations with you and another rider coming to a virtual stand still waiting for the other to pull
    forward...

  10. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > Last local CTC club night I was at, four of the members were in full race kit as they'd been out
    > on a time trial event immediately before the CTC meet :)

    All of these things will vary on who exactly shows up. A CTC run will go as fast as the slowest
    rider, but if that's quite fast then the run will be too.

    Pete.
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]e.ac.uk
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/