Skin cancer and bike riding

Male age 49..... have a small basal cell carcinoma on
my leg to be roved in a few weeks. Light complexion.
But where this lesion is is on a part of the body that
I WOULD have thought didn't get much sun anyway!! It
wasn't own my back or arms or anything.

Given the info above I'm wondering what others do to
avoid sun exposure while on long bike tours? I never
worried abt it much but will now!! And ironically was
going to get back into touring soon, buy bike, etc.

BUT.... now I'm cognizant that I MUST avoid sun
exposure while cycling in noon sun.

I hate sunscreens.... so what other things do you guys
wear or use that allow one to be cool, not sweat tons,
and keep flesh form being exposed?

Advice on clothing and apparel and methods please?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Male age 49..... have a small basal cell carcinoma on
> my leg to be roved in a few weeks. Light complexion.
> But where this lesion is is on a part of the body that
> I WOULD have thought didn't get much sun anyway!! It
> wasn't own my back or arms or anything.
>
> Given the info above I'm wondering what others do to
> avoid sun exposure while on long bike tours? I never
> worried abt it much but will now!! And ironically was
> going to get back into touring soon, buy bike, etc.
>
> BUT.... now I'm cognizant that I MUST avoid sun
> exposure while cycling in noon sun.
>
> I hate sunscreens.... so what other things do you guys
> wear or use that allow one to be cool, not sweat tons,
> and keep flesh form being exposed?
>
> Advice on clothing and apparel and methods please?

If you can't stand sunscreens, the only option I see are loose-fitting
non-thermal tights, which all have wicking abilities so you can stay
somewhat cool.

>If you can't stand sunscreens, the only option I see are loose-fitting
>non-thermal tights, which all have wicking abilities so you can stay
>somewhat cool.

Yeah my legs are gonna be tough.

Don't mind wearing a loose fitting long sleeve shirt
that can billow around in the wind.... but the legs
aren't so easily solved.

> I hate sunscreens.... so what other things do you guys
> wear or use that allow one to be cool, not sweat tons,
> and keep flesh form being exposed?
>
> Advice on clothing and apparel and methods please?

Ride at night.

On Oct 4, 2:57 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Male age 49..... have a small basal cell carcinoma on
> my leg to be roved in a few weeks. Light complexion.
> But where this lesion is is on a part of the body that
> I WOULD have thought didn't get much sun anyway!! It
> wasn't own my back or arms or anything.
>
> Given the info above I'm wondering what others do to
> avoid sun exposure while on long bike tours? I never
> worried abt it much but will now!! And ironically was
> going to get back into touring soon, buy bike, etc.
>
> BUT.... now I'm cognizant that I MUST avoid sun
> exposure while cycling in noon sun.
>
> I hate sunscreens.... so what other things do you guys
> wear or use that allow one to be cool, not sweat tons,
> and keep flesh form being exposed?
>
> Advice on clothing and apparel and methods please?

back of hands, lateral forearms, back of neck and shins. shins take a
beating: road dirt bird and dog ****, hydrocarbons, reflected
sunlight.
greaseing shins with blue tube coppertune is a good idea.
a velcro strip on the cap back for a going away from the sun neck
protector is cool.

> I hate sunscreens.... so what other things do you guys
> wear or use that allow one to be cool, not sweat tons,
> and keep flesh form being exposed?

> Advice on clothing and apparel and methods please?

Not wanting to state the obvious, but since nobody else will...

Do you hate sunscreens more than you hate cancer?

Sunscreens aren't perfect, but they're pretty convenient, some aren't
terribly greasy, and unless you get apparel specifically designed to filter
out the dangerous stuff (which is just now beginning to make its way into
the marketplace), they (sunscreens) may actually do a better job.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Male age 49..... have a small basal cell carcinoma on
> my leg to be roved in a few weeks. Light complexion.
> But where this lesion is is on a part of the body that
> I WOULD have thought didn't get much sun anyway!! It
> wasn't own my back or arms or anything.
>
> Given the info above I'm wondering what others do to
> avoid sun exposure while on long bike tours? I never
> worried abt it much but will now!! And ironically was
> going to get back into touring soon, buy bike, etc.
>
> BUT.... now I'm cognizant that I MUST avoid sun
> exposure while cycling in noon sun.
>
> I hate sunscreens.... so what other things do you guys
> wear or use that allow one to be cool, not sweat tons,
> and keep flesh form being exposed?
>
> Advice on clothing and apparel and methods please?

I have seen more than one person on group tours riding in loose
fitting long sleeve, long legged clothes. I talked to one and skin
cancer was the reason.

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 16:44:31 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I hate sunscreens.... so what other things do you guys
>> wear or use that allow one to be cool, not sweat tons,
>> and keep flesh form being exposed?

>> Advice on clothing and apparel and methods please?

>Not wanting to state the obvious, but since nobody else will...
>
>Do you hate sunscreens more than you hate cancer?
>
>Sunscreens aren't perfect, but they're pretty convenient, some aren't
>terribly greasy, and unless you get apparel specifically designed to filter
>out the dangerous stuff (which is just now beginning to make its way into
>the marketplace), they (sunscreens) may actually do a better job.
>
>--Mike Jacoubowsky
>Chain Reaction Bicycles
>www.ChainReaction.com
>Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
>

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Male age 49..... have a small basal cell carcinoma on
>> my leg to be roved in a few weeks. Light complexion.
>> But where this lesion is is on a part of the body that
>> I WOULD have thought didn't get much sun anyway!! It
>> wasn't own my back or arms or anything.
>>
>> Given the info above I'm wondering what others do to
>> avoid sun exposure while on long bike tours? I never
>> worried abt it much but will now!! And ironically was
>> going to get back into touring soon, buy bike, etc.
>>
>> BUT.... now I'm cognizant that I MUST avoid sun
>> exposure while cycling in noon sun.
>>
>> I hate sunscreens.... so what other things do you guys
>> wear or use that allow one to be cool, not sweat tons,
>> and keep flesh form being exposed?
>>
>> Advice on clothing and apparel and methods please?

Four years ago I had a big ugly melanoma removed from my upper arm. I always
had a mole. but over time it just grew. It is on the part of the arm that is
always covered by the jersey sleeve. I never ride with a vest style jersey,
only sleeves, whether short or long.

I learned a bit about sunscreens from the dermatologist. After trying a few,
I settled on the Coppertone grease free, SPF 45. The thing I like is that it
is not gummy and has virtually no scent. Down here in Houston. it gets kind
of warm in the summer and the sun is strong. This stuff seems to last a good
while, or at least long enough to get in a 60 mile ride.

Recently Coppertone changed the packaging to use a metal can that is some
sort of aerosol. I think the product is the same. In any case, look for the
one with the magenta label. Now they call it Coppertone oil free lotion
spray, SPF 50. I have not tried the new stuff as I still have a few units of
the old product around. Some of my friends bought the new one and seem to
think it works the same. As if by the magic of modern manufacturing, the
quantity went down and the price went up.

From what I understand, the Parsol 1789, also known as Avobenzone, bonds
with the protein in the skin to form the block for the range of light that
causes the problems. Maybe someone in the group can provide a better
explanation for me...

Bruce

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Male age 49..... have a small basal cell carcinoma on
> my leg to be roved in a few weeks. Light complexion.
> But where this lesion is is on a part of the body that
> I WOULD have thought didn't get much sun anyway!! It
> wasn't own my back or arms or anything.
>
> Given the info above I'm wondering what others do to
> avoid sun exposure while on long bike tours? I never
> worried abt it much but will now!! And ironically was
> going to get back into touring soon, buy bike, etc.
>
> BUT.... now I'm cognizant that I MUST avoid sun
> exposure while cycling in noon sun.
>
> I hate sunscreens.... so what other things do you guys
> wear or use that allow one to be cool, not sweat tons,
> and keep flesh form being exposed?
>
> Advice on clothing and apparel and methods please?

Move to the Seattle area, so you don't have to worry about sun exposure
;-)

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

A friend and fellow randonneur used the Boure SPF whatever long sleeve
jerseys this year and liked them much better than sunscreen. I haven't
tried that sort of thing. UV rays do make it through typical bike
jerseys, though.

My problem with sunscreen is that they all seem to interfere with
cooling. My sweat just beads up and drips off rather than evaporating.
Maybe that's not a problem in dry climes, but in the swampy air that
blankets Minnesota all summer long it sucks. I had a bit of heatstroke
on one ride this summer and I think (but don't really know) that sun
screen was a contributor. Aging is probably a factor too- 95F didn't
used to bother me at all except at night when trying to sleep.

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 21:35:21 -0500, "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Four years ago I had a big ugly melanoma removed from my upper arm. I always
>had a mole. but over time it just grew. It is on the part of the arm that is
>always covered by the jersey sleeve. I never ride with a vest style jersey,
>only sleeves, whether short or long.
>
>I learned a bit about sunscreens from the dermatologist. After trying a few,
>I settled on the Coppertone grease free, SPF 45. The thing I like is that it
>is not gummy and has virtually no scent. Down here in Houston. it gets kind
>of warm in the summer and the sun is strong. This stuff seems to last a good
>while, or at least long enough to get in a 60 mile ride.

Same stuff I use. Mostly I just don't ride out in the open in the summer. I'm
acclimated to the heat here in Florida, but the sun here will rip a white man's
skin off. I recommend mountain bike riding on wooded trails in the summer.

The Coppertone greaseless is good stuff.

I ignore the whole thing. There's a million things to die from, and
the odds in any case are way in your favor wrt any particular hazard.

Then they're finding now that sunlight prevents other forms of cancer.

No kidding. Changing things changes things.
--
[email protected]

Thanks for the link to Boure SPF long sleeve jerseys e.g.
http://www.boure.com/8604.html

I live in the UK and have made a number of trips to southern
California (and have a family history of skin cancer) - but until
recently found it almost impossible to find lightweight long sleeve
bike jerseys. The manufacturers seem to assume that long sleeve
jerseys are only used in the winter - and thus make them from thicker
material. (is this a market opportunity?)

On a recent trip I used some long sleeve triathlon tops from Orca -
but although they are cool they lack pockets and a collar that you can
raise. I used a lightweight buff to protect my neck and a Pace
Headwear Coolmax Helmet Liners to protect my head -
http://www.pacesportswear.com/Cyber.asp?Sid=1&Lid=1004&Mode=ViewProd&Cat=3

The only problem I had was with a triangular area of skin on the back
of my wrists that was exposed through my gloves - I forgot to put
sunscreen on this area and got badly burnt.

On my legs I used Aloe Gator's SPF 40+ sunblock gel - which is
sufficiently sticky to stay in place for a day long ride.

Regards Kirby

Ron Hardin wrote:
> I ignore the whole thing. There's a million things to die from, and
> the odds in any case are way in your favor wrt any particular hazard.
>
> Then they're finding now that sunlight prevents other forms of cancer.
>
> No kidding. Changing things changes things.

Hope you never run into melanoma. It is one serious cancer.

Sunscreen makes me a little hotter but I need a shower after I ride
anyway, so it is not a big drawback. I have experimented with
longsleeve shirts, but it is just too hot here in the summer.

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:44:31 -0700, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Not wanting to state the obvious, but since nobody else will...
>
> Do you hate sunscreens more than you hate cancer?
>
> Sunscreens aren't perfect, but they're pretty convenient, some aren't
> terribly greasy, and unless you get apparel specifically designed to
> filter out the dangerous stuff (which is just now beginning to make its
> way into the marketplace), they (sunscreens) may actually do a better
> job.

I'll second that. Skin cancer is nothing to fool around with, and anyone
who spends much time in the sun is susceptible.

There's a good sunscreen for everybody. Here's a good resource, probably
more than you ever wanted to know:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens/summary.php

Matt O.

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:02:50 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

> A friend and fellow randonneur used the Boure SPF whatever long sleeve
> jerseys this year and liked them much better than sunscreen. I haven't
> tried that sort of thing. UV rays do make it through typical bike
> jerseys, though.

I have an old Bellwether long sleeve lightweight Coolmax jersey, which has
the widest comfort range of any cycling garment I've owned. It's fine for
temps in the 50s (with a windbreaker) to nearly 80F. It does a pretty
good job keeping the sun off without being too hot. It's also handy
against poison oak while mountain biking. It's very old and faded now,
with a couple of holes, so it looks really tacky, but I still haven't
found a replacement.

Nashbar used to sell very lightweight long sleeved jerseys, but I haven't
seen them in awhile.

Matt O.

POHB wrote:
> Live in the UK, ditto

Norman Kilgareff says a typical email asks "What's the weather like?"
His standard reply, "It's raining. It's always f***ing raining in Scotland"
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

> POHB wrote:
>
>> Live in the UK, ditto

One would think that UK residents have a fairly low incidence of skin
cancer compared to the southwest US, but no doubt it still occurs.

I did a Yahoo search for "incidence of skin cancer in UK" and found some
interesting reading.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> Male age 49..... have a small basal cell carcinoma on
> my leg to be roved in a few weeks. Light complexion.
> But where this lesion is is on a part of the body that
> I WOULD have thought didn't get much sun anyway!! It
> wasn't own my back or arms or anything.
>
> Given the info above I'm wondering what others do to
> avoid sun exposure while on long bike tours? I never
> worried abt it much but will now!! And ironically was
> going to get back into touring soon, buy bike, etc.
>
> BUT.... now I'm cognizant that I MUST avoid sun
> exposure while cycling in noon sun.
>
> I hate sunscreens.... so what other things do you guys
> wear or use that allow one to be cool, not sweat tons,
> and keep flesh form being exposed?
>
> Advice on clothing and apparel and methods please?

Bib knickers, long socks,
long sleeve shirt with collar,
hat with brim, gloves.

--