Skinning Chestnuts

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by dee, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. dee

    dee Guest

    Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of
    a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts?

    Tags:

  2. >>Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of
    a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts? <<

    Not that I know of. That's the way we tediously proceeded in cooking
    school. Roasting them seems marginally easier to remove the skins, but
    then the chestnut isn't right for recipes that need boiled chestnuts.

  3. dee

    dee Guest

    Judith Umbria wrote:
    > >>Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of

    > a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts? <<
    >
    > Not that I know of. That's the way we tediously proceeded in cooking
    > school. Roasting them seems marginally easier to remove the skins, but
    > then the chestnut isn't right for recipes that need boiled chestnuts.

    Thanks. We figured that maybe if the shape of the chestnuts are more
    rounded like the ones we had today, they seemed to be easier to peel
    then those flater ones which we had last time.

  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    dee wrote:
    > Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of
    > a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts?

    There are specific instructions for peeling chestnuts, and odds are the
    nuts you're using are of poor quality and/or old.

    Learn here: http://www.chestnutsonline.com

    Sheldon

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Judith Umbria" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >>Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of

    > a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts? <<
    >
    > Not that I know of. That's the way we tediously proceeded in cooking
    > school. Roasting them seems marginally easier to remove the skins, but
    > then the chestnut isn't right for recipes that need boiled chestnuts.

    I just buy them canned.....
    --
    Peace, Om.

  6. Amarantha

    Amarantha Guest

    "dee" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1143693170.151942.287080
    @i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of
    > a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts?

    The only thing I find helpful is peeling as soon as possible after cooking,
    so I do them in batches to give them less time to get cold.

  7. Peter A

    Peter A Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > > Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of
    > > a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts?
    > >

    > The only thing I find helpful is peeling as soon as possible after cooking,
    > so I do them in batches to give them less time to get cold.

    Agreed. There is no easy way to peel chestnuts. Maybe that's why they
    taste so good!

    --
    Peter Aitken
    Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

  8. dee

    dee Guest

    Peter A wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > > Normally we just peel them after boiling them for a bit, still a bit of
    > > > a pain. Is there an easier way to skin whole chestnuts?
    > > >

    > > The only thing I find helpful is peeling as soon as possible after cooking,
    > > so I do them in batches to give them less time to get cold.

    > Agreed. There is no easy way to peel chestnuts. Maybe that's why they
    > taste so good!
    >

    > --
    > Peter Aitken
    > Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

    oh yeah.. oh yeah.. mmm...

    the round shaped ones seem to be easier to peel then the flatter shaped
    ones. mmm... we had it braised with chicken and pineapple last night.

  9. dee

    dee Guest

    dee wrote:
    > Peter A wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] says...
    > > > >

    > > > The only thing I find helpful is peeling as soon as possible after cooking,
    > > > so I do them in batches to give them less time to get cold.

    > > Agreed. There is no easy way to peel chestnuts. Maybe that's why they
    > > taste so good!
    > >

    > > --
    > > Peter Aitken
    > > Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

    > oh yeah.. oh yeah.. mmm...
    >
    > the round shaped ones seem to be easier to peel then the flatter shaped
    > ones. mmm... we had it braised with chicken and pineapple last night.

    ...thinking about it, it took about the similar effort as chopping
    carrot theads.