skinny mtb tyres for communiting. (26 inch)

?

`

Guest
Hello

what are some brands/models of really skinny slick mtb tyres.

Paul

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
Parbs said:
"`" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hello
>
> what are some brands/models of really skinny slick mtb tyres.
>
> Paul

http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/mtb_slicks.htm

Parbs

missing a few faster ones tho...

specialized fatboys. Really light, fast, all black but wear

Conti travel city's(?) very similar but better puncture resistance.

Make sure you use relevant tubes with matching width and psi-ratings

or if you want pure speed Hutchinson GoldSlick's.
not much wider than a road 23-5mm tyre

If youre after longevity thru winter go the good ol' Metro IRC's. bit heavier but bulletproof and very comfy.

till!

New Member
Nov 19, 2004
flyingdutch said:
If youre after longevity thru winter go the good ol' Metro IRC's. bit heavier but bulletproof and very comfy.
IRC's metro duro certainly get my vote as well, in 1.5"

till

hippy

Guest
flyingdutch wrote:
> Parbs Wrote:
>>http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/mtb_slicks.htm

> missing a few faster ones tho...
> specialized fatboys. Really light, fast, all black but wear

No I'm not! Put your glasses on dude! :p

> Conti travel city's(?) very similar but better puncture resistance.

Conti Travel Contact?
http://www.greggscycles.com/cartgenie/prod-195.htm

I don't include these in my list because they are the stoopid semi-slick
type of tyre (with knobs on the edges). Fast cornering on bitchy is
pretty skittish when you transition from slick to the knobs. I don't
like? I don't list. :)

> or if you want pure speed Hutchinson GoldSlick's.
> not much wider than a road 23-5mm tyre

Don't know about these.. I'll add 'em if they're any good..
Anyone used them before care to comment? Are they available in Oz?

hippy
"slick master" :p

Peter Signorini

Guest
"hippy" wrote:

> flyingdutch wrote:
>> Conti travel city's(?) very similar but better puncture resistance.

> Conti Travel Contact?
> http://www.greggscycles.com/cartgenie/prod-195.htm
>
> I don't include these in my list because they are the stoopid semi-slick
> type of tyre (with knobs on the edges). Fast cornering on bitchy is pretty
> skittish when you transition from slick to the knobs. I don't like? I
> don't list. :)

No, no. Continental also have the Sport Contact tyre - it's a full slick in
26" or 700C, with a light oscillating siping, no knobs, and their puncture
protection in the tread is allegedly very effective.
http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category11_1.htm

Cheers
Peter

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
hippy said:
Don't know about these.. I'll add 'em if they're any good..
Anyone used them before care to comment? Are they available in Oz?

hippy
"slick master" :p

Jaywoo has em. i fink he has fotos of his steed somewhere?
Yes, I fink semi slicks are dangerous. offer some kind of mental safety but ar ejust plain slippery in gravel-sand on paths

Plodder

Guest
> flyingdutch wrote:
> > Parbs Wrote:
> >>http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/mtb_slicks.htm

> > missing a few faster ones tho...
> > specialized fatboys. Really light, fast, all black but wear

> No I'm not! Put your glasses on dude! :p
>
> > Conti travel city's(?) very similar but better puncture resistance.

> Conti Travel Contact?
> http://www.greggscycles.com/cartgenie/prod-195.htm
>
> I don't include these in my list because they are the stoopid semi-slick
> type of tyre (with knobs on the edges). Fast cornering on bitchy is
> pretty skittish when you transition from slick to the knobs. I don't
> like? I don't list. :)
>
> > or if you want pure speed Hutchinson GoldSlick's.
> > not much wider than a road 23-5mm tyre

> Don't know about these.. I'll add 'em if they're any good..
> Anyone used them before care to comment? Are they available in Oz?
>
> hippy
> "slick master" :p

I'm happy with my Conti Town and Country on the front and IRC Metro on the
back. T & C is a bit tubbier and comfier, run at ~ 60psi with the IRC
skinnier and harder at ~80-100psi. I can detect bugger-all difference in
speed from when I ran IRCs on both, but the T & C makes a difference to how
much my buggered-up wrists ache (industrial injury, not cycling).

Me (off for a Sunday plod... )

Jay Woo

Guest
flyingdutch wrote:

> Jaywoo has em. i fink he has fotos of his steed somewhere?
> Yes, I fink semi slicks are dangerous. offer some kind of mental

safety
> but ar ejust plain slippery in gravel-sand on paths
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Yeah I use Hutchi Top Slicks. I've just replaced my 1st set which
lasted 12 months of about 100km a week commuting. I've found them
better than Conti 26' GP's. I could get the GP's here, but I've
Interneted the Hutchi's.