Skinsuit or Shorts for warm water Tri

Ed Brenton

Guest
I've got a sprint race coming up this weekend and can't
decide whether I should wear my skinsuit or just wear my tri-
shorts. I preffer the skinsuit for the bike and run, but I'm
worried that it may cause extra drag in the swim.

I wont have an opportunity to try the skinsuit in the water
before the race and I'm feeling kind'a stupid for not doing
so earlier.

Sure, Desoto claims that it won't cause any extra drag, but
they're trying to sell their product. I'm looking for the
opinions of average-joe racers like myself.

Thanks, Ed

p.s. Hope this is not an FAQ... I searched the Google
archives and only found a couple posts.

Hello,

Emilio De Soto here. I make no false claims when I sell a
product. This is why we have been in business selling
triathlon gear now for 14 years. But the real answer to your
question is best answered by you.

Did you buy the right size skinsuit? If you did, then take
it to a pool, and swim it. Make you own conclusion and
determine if my claim is true or false.

Again, if you have the correct size, your answer will be
easy.

Now as you state "I won't have the opportunity to try the
skinsuit in the water before the race and I am feeling
kind'a stupid for not doing so earlier," then my
recommendation is follow Emilio's First Law of Triathlon.

Emilio De Soto II 858 453 6672 www.desotosport.com "Quality
Triathlon Gear Since 1990" www.t1wetsuits.com "Triathlon's
most innovative wetsuit" Email me for a free catalog

Ooops pushed send by accident.

Emilio's First Law of Triathlon is:

Do not use anything in a race you have not trained in first.

Emilio De Soto II 858 453 6672 www.desotosport.com "Quality
Triathlon Gear Since 1990" www.t1wetsuits.com "Triathlon's
most innovative wetsuit" Email me for a free catalog

In a sprint tri I always elect to go only on shorts if
shirts are not required. Use a race belt for your number. I
find the skinsuit very hot at the intensity required.

Ken

"Ed Brenton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've got a sprint race coming up this weekend and can't
> decide whether I should wear my skinsuit or just wear my
> tri-shorts. I preffer the skinsuit for the bike and run,
> but I'm worried that it may cause extra drag in the swim.
>
> I wont have an opportunity to try the skinsuit in the
> water before the race and I'm feeling kind'a stupid for
> not doing so earlier.
>
> Sure, Desoto claims that it won't cause any extra drag,
> but they're trying to sell their product. I'm looking for
> the opinions of average-joe racers like myself.
>
> Thanks, Ed
>
> p.s. Hope this is not an FAQ... I searched the Google
> archives and only found a couple posts.

I agree with Ken. The intensity of a sprint distance race,
coupled with the heat and humidity have me ripping my skin
suit down to my waist during the run. It's just too hot. The
body can't cool itself as efficiently when covered.

Regards, ~ AB ~

"IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In a sprint tri I always elect to go only on shorts if
> shirts are not required. Use a race belt for your number.
> I find the skinsuit very hot at the intensity required.
>
> Ken
>

> "Ed Brenton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've got a sprint race coming up this weekend and can't
> > decide whether I should wear my skinsuit or just wear
> > my tri-shorts. I preffer the skinsuit for the bike and
> > run, but I'm worried that it may cause extra drag in
> > the swim.
> >
> > I wont have an opportunity to try the skinsuit in the
> > water before the race and I'm feeling kind'a stupid for
> > not doing so earlier.
> >
> > Sure, Desoto claims that it won't cause any extra drag,
> > but they're trying to sell their product. I'm looking
> > for the opinions of average-joe racers like myself.
> >
> > Thanks, Ed
> >
> > p.s. Hope this is not an FAQ... I searched the Google
> > archives and only found a couple posts.

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
Servers! =-----

Emilio, I will be getting in the pool before the race, but
as much as the skinsuits cost, I wont take that thing
anywhere near chlorine. I usually do a lake swim 3 or 4
times a month which would be the perfect opportunity to try
it out. Unfortunately I wont be able to make it out to the
lake before the race. As for your "First Law", I agree 100%.
It's a rule that I follow strictly. So... Looks like I'll be
bare-backing it this time.

Ken, Good point. It is supposed to be very warm on Sunday.

Thanks guys, Ed