Skipping rear deraileur

John Judy

Guest
I have replaced the chain (Tried both HG and IG with same results). Cassette is new. D is an older
shimano 600. Under power in lower gears, it skips. Today, while riding in a driving rainstorm, it
skipped in nearly every gear. Cassette is 7 speed on 8/9 speed cassette body with spacer. Shifts
like a dream. Help!

In article <Xktua.776304$L1.218415@sccrnsc02>, "John Judy" <[email protected]> writes:

>I have replaced the chain (Tried both HG and IG with same results). Cassette is new. D is an older
>shimano 600. Under power in lower gears, it skips. Today, while riding in a driving rainstorm, it
>skipped in nearly every gear. Cassette is 7 speed on 8/9 speed cassette body with spacer. Shifts
>like a dream. Help!

Check for a stiff link.

How new is that cassette?

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

> Check for a stiff link.
>
> How new is that cassette?

'Chains pretty smooth... Cassette is fairly new. I will try another one though. Think worn pulleys
coudl cause this?

John Judy writes:

> I have replaced the chain (Tried both HG and IG with same results). Cassette is new. D is an older
> shimano 600. Under power in lower gears, it skips. Today, while riding in a driving rainstorm, it
> skipped in nearly every gear. Cassette is 7 speed on
> 8/9 speed cassette body with spacer. Shifts like a dream. Help!

Now you know why people don't like to put on a new chain. Sprockets wear to the pitch of a worn
chain and do not engage well with a new chain when loaded. You need new sprockets as well. Worn
chains will run on any sprocket but new ones want to run on sprockets that are in-pitch (unworn).

[email protected] wrote in message:

> > I have replaced the chain (Tried both HG and IG with same results). Cassette is new. D is an
> > older shimano 600. Under power

> Now you know why people don't like to put on a new chain. Sprockets wear to the pitch of a worn
> chain and do not engage well with a new chain when loaded. You need new sprockets as well. Worn
> chains will run on any sprocket but new ones want to run on sprockets that are in-pitch (unworn).

What part of "cassette is new" did you not understand? Can you friggin' read, old man?

Maybe the chain is too long?

antti

"John Judy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...

> > Check for a stiff link.
> >
> > How new is that cassette?
> >

> 'Chains pretty smooth... Cassette is fairly new. I will try another one though. Think worn pulleys
> coudl cause this?

<< Cassette is new. D is an older shimano 600. Under power in lower gears, it skips.

8s chain??

[email protected] (BikeRacer) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] wrote in message:
>
> > > I have replaced the chain (Tried both HG and IG with same results). Cassette is new. D is an
> > > older shimano 600. Under power
>
> > Now you know why people don't like to put on a new chain. Sprockets wear to the pitch of a worn
> > chain and do not engage well with a new chain when loaded. You need new sprockets as well. Worn
> > chains will run on any sprocket but new ones want to run on sprockets that are in-pitch
> > (unworn).
>
> What part of "cassette is new" did you not understand? Can you friggin' read, old man?

Boy, you showed him!! Would you mind cc'ing me when you post to this group in the future? I
sometimes fall behind and wouldn't want to miss one of your gems.

> What part of "cassette is new" did you not understand? Can you friggin' read, old man?

Exactly how many books on the technical aspects of bicycling have you written, dipshit?

[email protected] (TBGibb) wrote in message:

> >What part of "cassette is new" did you not understand? Can you friggin' read, old man?
>
> And what part of "Cassette is fairly new" didn't you understand?

The original post, the one jobst responded to, said the "cassette is new". Only his second post
qualified it as "fairly new."

"John Judy" <[email protected]> wrote in message:

> > What part of "cassette is new" did you not understand? Can you friggin' read, old man?
>
> Exactly how many books on the technical aspects of bicycling have you written, dipshit?

None. I didn't realize that was a credential needed to read and understand English.

Why don't you pick up your copy of "The Bicycle Wheel" and masturbate to it, kook.

>I have replaced the chain (Tried both HG and IG with same results). Cassette is new.

In a following post, you say "fairly new" cassette. What do you mean by that? What tool are you
using to install the chain? Are you

>D is an older shimano 600. Under power in lower gears, it skips. Today, while riding in a driving
>rainstorm, it skipped in nearly every gear.

What gears are on the cassette, i.e. a 13-19 straight block, or a more typical 12-28? When you say
it skips in lower gears, do you truly mean the lower gears, as in the bigger cogs, or do you mean
lower as in the smaller cogs (which technically are the higher gears?) I ask because it is more
common for the small cogs to wear out faster.

Skipping in every gear *usually* indicates a link problem.

>Cassette is 7 speed on 8/9 speed cassette body with spacer. Shifts like a dream. Help!

Put another wheel in the bike. If it still skips, it is a chain problem, or perhaps a worn
chainring. How new/old is the crank?

Russell

Trekkie, Disnoid =B0o=B0, and Sheena Easton fan

"Life will teach you all you need to know, but only Love Will Make You Wise"- Sheena Easton

http://community.webtv.net/TrekkeRuss/TheTrekkieDisnoido

Come see Sheena Easton, Live at G-A-Y! http://community.webtv.net/CrazyForSheena/SheenaEastonLiveatG

Pictures from my trip to the grand opening of the newest Disney theme park in Tokyo, Nippon!
http://community.webtv.net/TrekkeRuss/TokyoDisneySeaIn

> None. I didn't realize that was a credential needed to read and understand English.

Were we discussing English comprehension? I must have missed it. Perhaps you're mistaking the
conversation at hand with the one you were having with your fun club/assembly of sock puppets.

> Why don't you pick up your copy of "The Bicycle Wheel" and masturbate to it, kook.

Ahh... Your true agenda rears it's head. It never ceases to amaze and amuse

one to the psychologists. Anyway, you want to discuss your hang ups, please take it to an
appropriate group.. I'm guessing alt.obese.furries.living.in.parents.basement would be a good start.

"Russell Yim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have replaced the chain (Tried both HG and IG with same results). Cassette is new.

In a following post, you say "fairly new" cassette. What do you mean by that? What tool are you
using to install the chain?

Basically, it means I looks brand new, but I can't remember if this is one of the new ones I bought
in the last few months or one I had before. I use a standard chainbreaker and the pins that come in
the box with the chain.

>D is an older shimano 600. Under power in lower gears, it skips. Today, while riding in a driving
>rainstorm, it skipped in nearly every gear.

What gears are on the cassette, i.e. a 13-19 straight block, or a more typical 12-28?

12-18. I have run a couple differenet cassettes, but the one before the lockring is always a 12

>When you say it skips in lower gears, do you truly mean the lower gears, as in the bigger cogs, or
>do you mean lower as in the smaller cogs (which technically are the higher gears?)

Higher gears, sorry. And typically only in the smaller chainring (doulble).

>I ask because it is more common for the small cogs to wear out faster.

>Skipping in every gear *usually* indicates a link problem.

Only did that when it was wet.

>Cassette is 7 speed on 8/9 speed cassette body with spacer. Shifts like a dream. Help!

>Put another wheel in the bike. If it still skips, it is a chain problem, or perhaps a worn
>chainring. How new/old is the crank?

Crank is older. Outside chainring is new, inside is not. You may be on to something there. I
will try that