Skoda ends Tour de France sponsorship

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 01:15:34 -0400, Jason Spaceman wrote:
>Choda is dropping its sponsorship of the TdF due to the Landis
>controversy --> http://www.cyclingpost.com/tour/article_003204.shtml

Good riddance. I haven't been able to buy Italian team kit for over a
year now because of the Skoda sponsorship. I mean, _Skoda_?! What an
ugly name. And cheap cars. And not Italian.

Dave S.

--
E. Dronkert

A Skoda spokesman said: "The recent scandal involving Floyd Landis are not good for our image."

Skoda have an image?

in message <[email protected]>, MalP
('[email protected]') wrote:

> A Skoda spokesman said: \"The recent scandal involving Floyd Landis are
> not good for our image.\"
>
> Skoda have an image?

They certainly do. The longest established motor manufacturer still
producing, except Daimler and Renault; and producer of cars widely
regarded as the most reliable and best value for money currently
produced in Europe. Yes, OK, they're essentially Volkswagens these days,
but Volkswagens with Skoda badges on have fewer faults than Volkswagens
with VW badges on. No, I don't own one, and never have.

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2005/11/stories/01/3.html

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat.

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> They will never, ever, make it into the 'Cool' column though.

Perhaps with a bit of chemical assistance for their designers ?

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 01:15:34 -0400, Jason Spaceman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Choda is dropping its sponsorship of the TdF due to the Landis
> >controversy --> http://www.cyclingpost.com/tour/article_003204.shtml
> >

> Any idea if they will also end their sponsorship of Team CSC,
> especially after Basso being implicated in Operation Puerto?
>
> WWBD (What Will Bjarne Drive?)

I would guess that distancing themselves from basso is a predominant
motivator (as he was a focus of the pre tour withdrawal news and csc is
doing very well, why else would they announce their withdrawal now ?)