Skyway race - helmet cam

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob Schwartz, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Tags:

  2. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > St Paul, Minnesota, a one mile race through the
    > skyway system. In a very twisted sense this
    > could be considered an office park crit. Entry
    > was by invitation so they had control over who
    > got to race. The course was marked and marshalled.
    >
    > http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13826596.htm
    >
    > Helmet cam video from the race winner, Jay Henderson:
    >
    > http://www.wcco.com/video/[email protected]
    >
    > Bob Schwartz

    Plenty of opportunities to pile driver concrete there.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > St Paul, Minnesota, a one mile race through the
    > > skyway system. In a very twisted sense this
    > > could be considered an office park crit. Entry
    > > was by invitation so they had control over who
    > > got to race. The course was marked and marshalled.
    > >
    > > http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13826596.htm
    > >
    > > Helmet cam video from the race winner, Jay Henderson:
    > >
    > > http://www.wcco.com/video/[email protected]
    > >
    > > Bob Schwartz

    > Plenty of opportunities to pile driver concrete there.

    Wild race, great footage! So it looks like the winner was on a fairly
    normal hardtail running slicks; does it strike anyone else that with
    that much TTing and so few stairs, the hot setup would have been a
    'cross bike, fat slicks, and a clip-on TT bar? Even the winner wasn't up
    to riding the ascending staircase, and he looked and sounded gutted
    after carrying his bike up.

    As for the danger, I didn't see anything there scarier than a fast
    singletrack. And I probably would have had to carry down the stairs,
    though I'm sure nobody at an invitation-only MTB-oriented race would
    have.

    So all hail Red Bull for sponsoring yet another two-wheeled freak race.
    I think they should try to sponsor a cyclist division in Pamplona for
    their next trick.

  4. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Plenty of opportunities to pile driver concrete there.

    > Wild race, great footage! So it looks like the winner was on a fairly
    > normal hardtail running slicks; does it strike anyone else that with
    > that much TTing and so few stairs, the hot setup would have been a
    > 'cross bike, fat slicks, and a clip-on TT bar? Even the winner wasn't up
    > to riding the ascending staircase, and he looked and sounded gutted
    > after carrying his bike up.

    Hmm, how fat a set of slicks would you think? 28s would probably be fine. I
    would think you could run down the stairs too and not lose too much time (or
    risk a pinch flat). That looks like a race that a guy like Nys or Vervecken
    would do well at. Or Eric Saunders.

    > As for the danger, I didn't see anything there scarier than a fast
    > singletrack.

    Probably true. I was just noticing a lot of concrete posts and glass windows
    and thought it seemed a little bit hectic. But that may have been due to the way
    the camera made things seem narrow. Well, maybe it is narrow...

    > And I probably would have had to carry down the stairs, though I'm sure
    > nobody at an invitation-only MTB-oriented race would have.
    >
    > So all hail Red Bull for sponsoring yet another two-wheeled freak race.
    > I think they should try to sponsor a cyclist division in Pamplona for
    > their next trick.

    Limit the body armor for that one.