SL-TX50 Thumb Shifter dismantled - spring problem

Goandkickit

Aug 3, 2009
Hi, I have a SL-TX50 Thumb Shifter (right hand side) which was jumping from first gear to fourth or fifth every time I touched the shifter button (highly irritating when in busy traffic, not to mention dangerous). So I dismantled it to see if I could give it a clean, to try to fix the problem.

I managed to work out what most of the parts did, but there is one part which I can't work out - the spring on the long black lever arm, which is shown in the picture below. I can't work out where the long part of the spring goes. The short end of the spring appears to fit into a small hole in one part of the black lever arm, and I've tried every combination of fitting the spring onto the arm, and this appears to be the only way that fits the arm - but I can't work out where to put the other end of the spring (the long bit sticking out). The black lever arm should (I think) push to the right, as shown in the top left picture below. There is a white lever arm which acts together with the black arm, I think they alternate at holding the sprockets in position.

I was hoping to find an entire website dedicated to methods for dismantling, cleaning and reassembling shifters, but there doesn't appear to be a single site, even on one shifter, on the entire internet!

If anybody has any ideas, (I'm sure it's really easy if you done it once, and also I think that most shifters work on the same principle), I would be very grateful.

shifter.jpg

I've had to buy a new shifter as I still can't work it out, but I bought exactly the same model, only £7.49 on sale, from Lessthan.co.uk. As soon as it arrives, I am going to dismantle it (but slowly this time) and find out where the spring goes, and will post up the solution (with photos) as soon as I can. Maybe some other poor soul will come across this post in years to come and be able to fix their shifter!

hi my dear friend i too face the same problem . did u find solution for the spring problem please send me yor ideas