Slacker - I Drive Update

Andy Chequer

Guest
On removing the IDrive eccentric it was clear that both the bearings and the
dog bone linkage were shot. The old bearings were easily removed with a pin
punch and some careful hammering. The new bearings arrived Tuesday and I put
the cups into the frame easily enough.

The bearing tracks on the eccentric seem to be a different matter though.
The tapers are very steep and getting the tracks to actually take hold is
proving difficult. In order to counter this, I've put the eccentric in the
freezer on its coldest setting, and will boil the bearing tracks before
trying to put them on.

Asides this, do you have any recommendations? How did you do this bit?

Andy Chequer

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
<snip>

> Asides this, do you have any recommendations?

Yeah, don't boil'em. Put them in the oven.

Andy Chequer wrote:
> On removing the IDrive eccentric it was clear that both the bearings and the
> dog bone linkage were shot. The old bearings were easily removed with a pin
> punch and some careful hammering. The new bearings arrived Tuesday and I put
> the cups into the frame easily enough.
>
> The bearing tracks on the eccentric seem to be a different matter though.
> The tapers are very steep and getting the tracks to actually take hold is
> proving difficult. In order to counter this, I've put the eccentric in the
> freezer on its coldest setting, and will boil the bearing tracks before
> trying to put them on.
>
> Asides this, do you have any recommendations? How did you do this bit?
>
> Andy Chequer

Press them in using a vise/C clamp and a couple blocks of wood.

--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:

> Andy Chequer wrote:
>
>>On removing the IDrive eccentric it was clear that both the bearings and the
>>dog bone linkage were shot. The old bearings were easily removed with a pin
>>punch and some careful hammering. The new bearings arrived Tuesday and I put
>>the cups into the frame easily enough.
>>
>>The bearing tracks on the eccentric seem to be a different matter though.
>>The tapers are very steep and getting the tracks to actually take hold is
>>proving difficult. In order to counter this, I've put the eccentric in the
>>freezer on its coldest setting, and will boil the bearing tracks before
>>trying to put them on.
>>
>>Asides this, do you have any recommendations? How did you do this bit?
>>
>>Andy Chequer

I just reread this, now that I have more time.

I originally thought you were asking about the races (your "cups), but
I see you got those installed.

If you haven't figured it out yet, go here
<http://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads/manuals/4.50.i-DRIVE_raceedition_partslist.pdf>
Which number part are you talking about?

--
Slacker

Sorry bro, I meant to link to here
<http://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads/manuals/59.28.dhi_partslist.pdf>

Although it's the DHi, I think it's more representative of the of the
parts your looking at.

> --
> Slacker

> Sorry bro, I meant to link to here
> <http://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads/manuals/59.28.dhi_partslist.pdf>
>
> Although it's the DHi, I think it's more representative of the of the
> parts your looking at.

Yes, the "cups" (marked 3.1 on the diagram) went into the frame without
problems. I used a stout block of wood and some careful hammering as the
vice doesn't have enough depth to accomodate the frame, the woodblocks and
the cups.

The components marked 3.2 are the ones I'm having problems with. I have
since tried heating the race and cooling the eccentric but this has not
helped (I am using a vice with woodblocks to try and press them in).

Andy Chequer

Andy Chequer wrote:
> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Sorry bro, I meant to link to here
>><http://www.gtbicycles.com/sa/uploads/manuals/59.28.dhi_partslist.pdf>
>>
>>Although it's the DHi, I think it's more representative of the of the
>>parts your looking at.

> Yes, the "cups" (marked 3.1 on the diagram) went into the frame without
> problems. I used a stout block of wood and some careful hammering as the
> vice doesn't have enough depth to accomodate the frame, the woodblocks and
> the cups.
>
> The components marked 3.2 are the ones I'm having problems with. I have
> since tried heating the race and cooling the eccentric but this has not
> helped (I am using a vice with woodblocks to try and press them in).
>
> Andy Chequer

Something is not right here. That part should just fall into place by
hand, then pressed into it's final resting place when you screw the
eccentric (components 3 & 4) back together.

Is the Inner Race (3.2) off the orig. assembly or did it come with the
bearings that you ordered? Is it concentric?

I don't know... mine slipped right into place very easy. I don't think
there are different cups for different years??

??? Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

Maybe a phone call to BETD might be of some assistance?

--
Slacker