slacker romic question

Dean A. Stepper

Guest
I also have an i-drive; did you notice a big improvement when you added your Romic shock? If so,
want size shock does a 1.0 i-drive frame accept? and what do they cost?

Dean Stepper Laguna Beach

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Im9Aa.34053$hd6.7718@fed1read05...
> I also have an i-drive; did you notice a big improvement when you added your Romic shock? If so,
> want size shock does a 1.0 i-drive frame accept? and what do they cost?
>
> Dean Stepper Laguna Beach

Big improvement....no...it was gigantic!!! When I first called Romic to ask them about fitting one
of their shocks to my frame they told me it would turn the bike into a whole different animal. They
weren't lying.

Size = 6.5"

Cost = $365 (direct from Romic)

Give them a call; they're very cool and helpful. I ordered mine direct to make sure it was set-up
perfectly for me.

BTW. what size frame are you riding? I have a small, so if you wanted to hook-up at Aliso,
Whiting/Luge, Crystal or ? for a test ride, so you could get a feel for it before actually buying
it, just let me know. It's set-up right now for DH.

--
Slacker

Medium size frame. Thanks for the info and we will hookup some time. "Slacker"
> "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I also have an i-drive; did you notice a big improvement when you added
your
> > Romic shock? If so, want size shock does a 1.0 i-drive frame accept?
and
> > what do they cost?
> >
> > Dean Stepper Laguna Beach
>

> Big improvement....no...it was gigantic!!! When I first called Romic to
ask them about fitting one of their shocks to my frame they
> told me it would turn the bike into a whole different animal. They weren't
lying.

> Size = 6.5"
>
> Cost = $365 (direct from Romic)
>
> Give them a call; they're very cool and helpful. I ordered mine direct to
make sure it was set-up perfectly for me.

> BTW. what size frame are you riding? I have a small, so if you wanted to
hook-up at Aliso, Whiting/Luge, Crystal or ? for a test
> ride, so you could get a feel for it before actually buying it, just let
me know. It's set-up right now for DH.

> --
> Slacker

Originally posted by Slacker
"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Im9Aa.34053$hd6.7718@fed1read05...
> I also have an i-drive; did you notice a big improvement when you added your Romic shock? If so,
> want size shock does a 1.0 i-drive frame accept? and what do they cost?
>
> Dean Stepper Laguna Beach

Big improvement....no...it was gigantic!!! When I first called Romic to ask them about fitting one
of their shocks to my frame they told me it would turn the bike into a whole different animal. They
weren't lying.

Size = 6.5"

Cost = $365 (direct from Romic)

Give them a call; they're very cool and helpful. I ordered mine direct to make sure it was set-up
perfectly for me.

BTW. what size frame are you riding? I have a small, so if you wanted to hook-up at Aliso,
Whiting/Luge, Crystal or ? for a test ride, so you could get a feel for it before actually buying
it, just let me know. It's set-up right now for DH.

--
Slacker

I used to have an I-Drive setup :SID 80 mm on a size M 1999 XCR 1000. I am again looking at I-Drive frames to give my hardtail a rest. My question is, does the I-Drive respond alot better with a long travel fork (the sid was mushy and a confidence killer)? Since I am looking to take the bike xc as well as Plattekill Ski Resort via the lift...Is the Romic better for big hits only, or better as a pedaling platform as well? Also, any knowledge of an SPV shock being available for the I-Drive Frame?

Thanks,
Scott

> I used to have an I-Drive setup :SID 80 mm on a size M 1999 XCR 1000. I am again looking at
> I-Drive frames to give my hardtail a rest. My question is, does the I-Drive respond alot better
> with a long travel fork (the sid was mushy and a confidence killer)? Since I am looking to take
> the bike xc as well as Plattekill Ski Resort via the lift...Is the Romic better for big hits only,
> or better as a pedaling platform as well? Also, any knowledge of an SPV shock being available for
> the I-Drive Frame?
>
> Thanks, Scott

Wow, this one is old.

If you plan on riding an I-Drive at PK, be prepared because you'll need a new frame shortly.

Anyway, about the Romic.... it can be set-up (valved) for whatever purpose you want. I had Romic
valve mine for DH'ing, and it's certainly been more than capable of taking solid, fast hits. I also
use it for XC riding too; I just adjust the spring collar for 25% sag instead of 33%. I love the
shock on both types of trails. As long as Romic continues making great shocks, I'll be riding one.

Sorry, I don't have any info on any SPV shocks... I'm a plush coil guy!
--
Slacker

> > I used to have an I-Drive setup :SID 80 mm on a size M 1999 XCR 1000. I am again looking at
> > I-Drive frames to give my hardtail a rest. My question is, does the I-Drive respond alot better
> > with a long travel fork (the sid was mushy and a confidence killer)?
> >
> > Thanks, Scott

Oops, I forgot about your fork.

Your SID is a mushy, confidence killing POS becuase Rock Slop doesn't know how to properly
dampen a fork.

And yes, the I-Dirve will respond much better with a Marzocchi Z1 :^ )) But I suggest balancing out
all that front end plushness with some in the rear.
--
Slacker

Originally posted by Slacker
> > I used to have an I-Drive setup :SID 80 mm on a size M 1999 XCR 1000. I am again looking at
> > I-Drive frames to give my hardtail a rest. My question is, does the I-Drive respond alot better
> > with a long travel fork (the sid was mushy and a confidence killer)?
> >
> > Thanks, Scott

Oops, I forgot about your fork.

Your SID is a mushy, confidence killing POS becuase Rock Slop doesn't know how to properly
dampen a fork.

And yes, the I-Dirve will respond much better with a Marzocchi Z1 :^ )) But I suggest balancing out
all that front end plushness with some in the rear.
--

Thanks for your input. I think I have put the I-drive aside and am now considering a Marin Tara as a do it all bike, or a Giant AC for the rought stuff and keep the ht for the mild. I am also considering a Bullit, but do not know how they pedal up hill.
Slacker